Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #1

Accessory outlets in headlight bucket - question

I've got a Garmin GPS that I want to wire into the accessory outlets in the headlight bucket.

I had it wired into my older vstar fine and just tapped into the running light wire in the headlight bucket.

I figure since there are already accessory plugs in the headlight bucket I may as well use them.

The question is what type of connectors do I need to buy to put on the GPS wires and have them plug into the accessory outlets?

Slick

p.s. My understanding is that the accessory outlets are always hot and don't have an issue with that.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryldale
I've got a Garmin GPS that I want to wire into the accessory outlets in the headlight bucket.

I had it wired into my older vstar fine and just tapped into the running light wire in the headlight bucket.

I figure since there are already accessory plugs in the headlight bucket I may as well use them.

The question is what type of connectors do I need to buy to put on the GPS wires and have them plug into the accessory outlets?

Slick

p.s. My understanding is that the accessory outlets are always hot and don't have an issue with that.
You need a male "barrel" or "bullet" connector. They come in different diameters, but the ones I have bought at Autozone have always been the right size.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

can't help I still use that thing called a compass.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 04-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Thanks CJ I have been wondering what we need to connect. Do these just plug in or what?

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 04-14-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
Thanks CJ I have been wondering what we need to connect. Do these just plug in or what?
Yep. Sometimes they are a little tight the first time, and I've even used some needle nose pliers to expand them slightly. Each accessory connection can handle two devices. Just don't overload the circuit and remember these are always on, they are not switched with the ignition.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-14-2010, 08:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
Yep. Sometimes they are a little tight the first time, and I've even used some needle nose pliers to expand them slightly. Each accessory connection can handle two devices. Just don't overload the circuit and remember these are always on, they are not switched with the ignition.
k, what could be a really silly question.

I can see what you mean by each accessory plug being able to handle two devices. What do I do with the ground coming out of the GPS? I would assume I put a barrel connector on the live wire and plug it into the accessory plug. Do I just tap into another ground wire for the gps ground?

Slick

Old 04-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryldale
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack

k, what could be a really silly question.

I can see what you mean by each accessory plug being able to handle two devices. What do I do with the ground coming out of the GPS? I would assume I put a barrel connector on the live wire and plug it into the accessory plug. Do I just tap into another ground wire for the gps ground?

Slick
The accessory connections have both a hot and a ground plug. The ground has a black wire with a yellow stripe and the hot has a white wire with a blue stripe.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009