Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-31-2010, 09:20 PM   #1

Trailers

Thank you for the response to my post about hitches and trailers. I have decided to go with Chuckster on the hitch and Piggybacker trailer with leaf springs. As someone that has never pulled a motorcycle trailer before, are there any do's or don'ts that I need to be aware of, and how do they handle in a strong crosswind? Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Bull

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-31-2010, 09:54 PM   #2

Trailers

Remember you will need more time to achieve your desired speed and more time to stop, particularly when the trailer is heavily loaded. As a result I don't heavily load mine. I try not to put more that 80 pounds in my trailer, which weighs about 100 pounds empty. Try to keep at least 15% of the loaded trailer weight on the tongue, though one time I had an 80 pound of Sackrete slide to the back end and I didn't notice it. If anything, the trailer tends to stabilize the bike in heavy crosswinds. And don't pull too close to a curb when parallel to it. Keep in mind that the trailer sticks out on each side. Don't forget to maintain those wheel bearings, particularly if you have eight inch wheels.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:58 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Trailers

My advice would be to keep an eye on your tail lights, brake lights etc. Seems they tend to cause more problems on a trailer than the vehicle pulling them.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181