Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #1

license plate bracket

Is there some sort of replacement license plate bracket available somewhere...my license plate bracket looks like it was meant for a car plate rather than a motorcycle plate. I am not apposed to making one but if I could buy one that would be better.
anyone know why the plate bracket is sooo big?

Jim

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #2

license plate bracket

Yes that black plastic part of the bracket is ridiculous for the size of our plates. Remove the plastic backer part and trim it to the size of your plate, then re install. You can then add a chrome license plate trim ring to finish it off if you like.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
Advanced Member

license plate bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc
Yes that black plastic part of the bracket is ridiculous for the size of our plates. Remove the plastic backer part and trim it to the size of your plate, then re install. You can then add a chrome license plate trim ring to finish it off if you like.
Thats exactly what I did. I got a little carried away and some of my cuts weren't the straightest, but once the plate and a chrome frame are in place, you cant'see the bracket anyway.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #4

license plate bracket

I did the same thing CNC mentioned, and with the small size of our Alberta plates I had just enough room to run a strip of LED lights above the plate. I have these mounted behind the plastic backer with a hole driled out to let each LED through. I then gave it a light shot of flat black paint so you can't really notice it until I hit the brakes. The LED's jump out at you.
Be creative.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #5

license plate bracket

Thats where I was going to go but I did not want to get kicked out of the club for doing something wrong
anyone know why the bracket is so big?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-21-2010, 12:27 AM   #6

license plate bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc
Thats where I was going to go but I did not want to get kicked out of the club for doing something wrong
anyone know why the bracket is so big?
Not sure why so big. England and some other countries in Europe have larger plates I believe. It seems to me the bracket would be better suited for those plates and Kawa just never bothered to design a separate bracket for North America.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

license plate bracket

HUH? My 06 has a black plastic mc sized backing plate... it sort of contains the plate. I lost that chrome up right altogether, and used varrious existing bolts to lay down that with the plate. No piccy though, Maybe if Flavor see's this he can get up a piccy, since I assisted him with my way.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 03-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #8

license plate bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
HUH? My 06 has a black plastic mc sized backing plate... it sort of contains the plate. I lost that chrome up right altogether, and used varrious existing bolts to lay down that with the plate. No piccy though, Maybe if Flavor see's this he can get up a piccy, since I assisted him with my way.
Well Mac maybe it is only Canadian bikes or newer than 06. I did assume it was all Nomads. The black plastic backing plate was about 2 inches wider that the plate and a good inch higher. I don't have a before picture of it, cause it was down right ugly.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-21-2010, 08:31 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

license plate bracket

That could be, I have seen Euro Bikes with great big plates and so great big holders.

If you guys have the chromed stand/ mount, and want it, then be advised that on USA modles there is no gasket between paint and that mount, and there should be!

Remove this mount, and clean under it, then make a rubber gasket from some old inner tube or some stort bought rubber gasket material, before you crack the paint and water gets under that paint!

It is hard to say what yoy can or should do with a USA mc sized plate and a big Euro style holder, with out seeing one.

If someone has on and can get me a pic of the front and more important the back I am sure I can come up with a simple cure.

The black holder for the USA has a puffed out area in the center. I think I flipped the whole thing over and just drilled 2 holes in it matching the fender, and used the longer bolts from the chrome mount to lay my plate down. With the gasket I made the black frame stands off the paint about 1/8th inch.

Maybe next weekend I will get the bike out and put the battery back in, install the seats and tinker, but right now snow is melting, the drive way is a hellish mud and ruts mess, and I just got done makin sugar. Then I could get pics i could use better, than a bike stuffed in a snug trailer.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 03-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #10

license plate bracket

Hows that?
Jim

Old 03-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #11
Mega-Contributor

license plate bracket

When I was looking at license plate frames a couple of years back, most manufacturers offer them in two sizes. I guess some states must have larger plates than others.

My stock plastic backing plate was very close to the size of my license plate.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #12

license plate bracket

Here's what a US bracket looks like on a 2007. It matches our plate size well
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 03-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #13

license plate bracket

It could be worse. Remember the photos of old Euro bikes where the plate was so big it had to be mounted on top of the front fender?

Old 03-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #14
Top Contributor

license plate bracket

It appears that maybe the Canadian bikes come with a much larger backing plate than the U.S. models. Does anyone else in Canada have that large plate on their bike?

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 03-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #15

license plate bracket

Mine looked like yours did JMC before I trimmed it and added the chrome frame. Not the best picture, but you get the idea.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136