Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-16-2009, 04:21 AM   #1

Painting fiberglass

has anyone on here ever painted a fiberglass trunk themselves?......a have a used voyager trunk coming which will need to be painted and am trying to plan on how to get it done........I have read about the roll and tip method but have never tried it.........I am not set up to spray..........if you send it out what kind of $ has anyone seen to do it?

thanks for the feedback

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-16-2009, 07:24 AM   #2

Painting fiberglass

I had a tank about the size of a trunk painted, but I did all the prep work (remove old paint, sand, fill holes, prime). Didn't cost me but about 40 bucks or so. It was less than what I could get a quart for and have leftovers. If you can find a guy that will let you do the prep and just spray it, I find you can usually get a pretty good deal. Not sure what all is involved in spraying fiberglass, but ya might wanna check that out, among other options.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:14 AM   #3

Painting fiberglass

Fibreglass is no different to paint than metal, it will gouge easier if you use a power sander or grinder so be carefull.
Radco painted his trunk a couple months ago and I think he used rattlecans. It came out pretty good for him.
I have a few marks in mine that I would like repaired but the bodyshop wanted $500.00 to fix a few scratches and repaint it. So far Im living with it as is.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Painting fiberglass

I paid $180 to have a local custom painter spray my new Scootworks Supertrunk III. As far as I'm concerned, it was money well spent.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Painting fiberglass

I painted my own trunk about three weeks ago. Most of the work was preparation. I had my two colours scanned at a local paint specialty shop and had them make me up a spray bomb of each colour. I did use a primer on the trunk prior to application of the paint so that it was all one even colour to begin with. Masked the trunk and began painting. Check flash point for proper timing between coats (generally 15 minutes). I applied 5 coats of paint. The brand of paint I used did not need a clear coat. Results came out very good. Best of luck with the project, it is not difficult and can be rewarding.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #6

Painting fiberglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychocycle
I painted my own trunk about three weeks ago. Most of the work was preparation. I had my two colours scanned at a local paint specialty shop and had them make me up a spray bomb of each colour. I did use a primer on the trunk prior to application of the paint so that it was all one even colour to begin with. Masked the trunk and began painting. Check flash point for proper timing between coats (generally 15 minutes). I applied 5 coats of paint. The brand of paint I used did not need a clear coat. Results came out very good. Best of luck with the project, it is not difficult and can be rewarding.

Psycho;

By Spray Bomb do you mean spray cans (ie: rattlecans)?....can you PM me with the details as far as paint name, type, etc........I have been quoted $150 to $200, but that is full price with them doing the prep work and pin stripping it to match the pinstripe on the tank and front fender. 2005 black & silver Nomad

i that is all there is to it....I may do it myself.......I can wet sand with the best of them.......thanks

Old 09-16-2009, 07:51 PM   #7

Painting fiberglass

Hi again guys...Painting comes out as well as the prep...FIRST...WET sand with 1500...let the trunk dry, look for shiny spots. Those are the areas you missed. Make sure there are NO SHINY spots. let it dry good...an hour or so. Get a TACK cloth, and HIGH build primer. Body shop supply shop, good parts store. Wipe it down EASY. Tack cloths are sticky, so you dont want any of the "tacky" stuff on the trunk. Tape off any areas you don't want painted, (get masking tape from the same supply store..it IS different), and prime it at least 2 times. Let it dry OVERNIGHT. Wet sand it again...1500. Let it dry for 45 min an hour. Spray with color of your choice, 3 coats, let dry over night. If you use a spray that don't require clear, your done. If not, clear coat, 2, TWO, TWO, TWO coats. let it dry 24 hours. The longer the better actually. My fairing dried for 7 days. Then see what it would cost to have a body shop buff it out for you. Find that out BEFORE you decide to use a clear. Because....you have to wet sand the clear before its buffed out....By the way......I do paint....Thats the CORRECT way to paint something you want to add to your pride and joy......hope this helps....any questions, ask away. I'll paint for anyone of you if you like, but thats going to require a phone call to me...

Bobby

Old 09-16-2009, 08:04 PM   #8

Painting fiberglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynomad99
Hi again guys...Painting comes out as well as the prep...FIRST...WET sand with 1500...let the trunk dry, look for shiny spots. Those are the areas you missed. Make sure there are NO SHINY spots. let it dry good...an hour or so. Get a TACK cloth, and HIGH build primer. Body shop supply shop, good parts store. Wipe it down EASY. Tack cloths are sticky, so you dont want any of the "tacky" stuff on the trunk. Tape off any areas you don't want painted, (get masking tape from the same supply store..it IS different), and prime it at least 2 times. Let it dry OVERNIGHT. Wet sand it again...1500. Let it dry for 45 min an hour. Spray with color of your choice, 3 coats, let dry over night. If you use a spray that don't require clear, your done. If not, clear coat, 2, TWO, TWO, TWO coats. let it dry 24 hours. The longer the better actually. My fairing dried for 7 days. Then see what it would cost to have a body shop buff it out for you. Find that out BEFORE you decide to use a clear. Because....you have to wet sand the clear before its buffed out....By the way......I do paint....Thats the CORRECT way to paint something you want to add to your pride and joy......hope this helps....any questions, ask away. I'll paint for anyone of you if you like, but thats going to require a phone call to me...

Bobby

where are you located?

Old 09-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #9

Painting fiberglass

Hello again....I'm in NY. Staten Island to be exact....If you have any questions about painting it yourself, I'll send you a pm...with my number...I have no problem helping anyone out..

Bobby