Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-05-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Video clip of Baggers, no packing

I've ordered replacement packing for my V&H Bagger exhaust, having recently found out that the 3-month old 2100 mile original packing is SHOT already. After talking to V&H (who were very helpful, btw), they assured me the pipes would be "loud" without the packing. Not satisfied with just "wondering how loud?", I put the baffles back in the pipes without any packing whatsoever and fired it up. Had the kid do the directorial duties on my antiquated 3.2megapixel floppy disk for memory digital camera and have added it to my photobucket. If interested, go here and click on the "Baggers, no...." picture:
http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh296/DS06Nomad/

Quite honestly, they are not all that much louder than "with" the packing. Even the kid said, "hey, your bike sounds better". That's a small miracle and must, therefore, have some credence since neither she nor my wife EVER notice anything about my bike. They just go for the occasional ride!

What I did notice, is a bit more "crack" to the gutteral sound initially upon hard acceleration. Other than that, the sound level difference is barely audible while riding (and that was with a DOT half-helmet on).

I was expecting it to be obnoxiously loud, but it was not and will probably leave it as is and just keep the forthcoming packing order on the shelf until.... until whenever!

Hope this helps some of you with the Baggers from V&H who either want a bit more sound, or have been curious what it'll sound like w/o the packing.

Best,
Daryl

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
Advanced Member

FWIW, V&H confirmed that my right one went first. It did. They said that on a dual, 85% of the exhaust goes thru the right, 15% thru the left (unless of course you have TRUE duals with NO crossover pipe)

Just an extra tidbit...
DS

Old 02-05-2008, 10:09 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
I've ordered replacement packing for my V&H Bagger exhaust, having recently found out that the 3-month old 2100 mile original packing is SHOT already. After talking to V&H (who were very helpful, btw), they assured me the pipes would be "loud" without the packing. Not satisfied with just "wondering how loud?", I put the baffles back in the pipes without any packing whatsoever and fired it up. Had the kid do the directorial duties on my antiquated 3.2megapixel floppy disk for memory digital camera and have added it to my photobucket. If interested, go here and click on the "Baggers, no...." picture:
http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh296/DS06Nomad/

Quite honestly, they are not all that much louder than "with" the packing. Even the kid said, "hey, your bike sounds better". That's a small miracle and must, therefore, have some credence since neither she nor my wife EVER notice anything about my bike. They just go for the occasional ride!

What I did notice, is a bit more "crack" to the gutteral sound initially upon hard acceleration. Other than that, the sound level difference is barely audible while riding (and that was with a DOT half-helmet on).

I was expecting it to be obnoxiously loud, but it was not and will probably leave it as is and just keep the forthcoming packing order on the shelf until.... until whenever!

Hope this helps some of you with the Baggers from V&H who either want a bit more sound, or have been curious what it'll sound like w/o the packing.

Best,
Daryl
...popular with your neighbors now, I'll bet

Actually, I am in the process of deciding which pipes to buy for my Nomad, so info like this is helpful. Thanks.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-06-2008, 03:09 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Sounds nice ds06nomad.... But for the best sound on the V&H's cut them baffles in half and put them back in. Been running mine like that for couple years now. Perfect sound... Don't believe me just ask Nico
VBA #00077

Old 02-06-2008, 08:41 AM   #5
Advanced Member

V & H Baggers for Nomads are True Duals - there is no 85 / 15 % - that only applies to newer Harley's! I'm not sure why yours is so quiet? Mine is a bear! I parked beside a buddy who is on his second Nomad and both had V & H and he cannot believe how loud mine is compared to the new one and the older one!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
Top Contributor

i have V&H baggers stock like and they are LOUD already. if I took bafles out they would be deafening. if i cut the baffles in half I bet super loud. I like the stock V&H as is.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #7
Top Contributor

I thought it was interesting when I first put my V&H baggers on and fire up the bike, it blew packing fibers out for about 5 minutes.....of course, I might have been revving it a little to help the process.

I little warning about that.... if anybody does want to sit with their bike running higher than idle rpms and not moving for several minutes (like revving it up a bunch and maintaining higher rpms), the rear pipe will heat up to the point that you can start to blue your heat shield....mine just started and I caught it in time and used chrome polish and removed it.....never has thought about bluing since.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 02-07-2008, 09:24 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

I didn't think the Baggers had a crossover. I thought they were true duals.

Quote:
FWIW, V&H confirmed that my right one went first. It did. They said that on a dual, 85% of the exhaust goes thru the right, 15% thru the left (unless of course you have TRUE duals with NO crossover pipe)

Just an extra tidbit...
DS
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 02-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #9
Top Contributor

they are true duals but the rear cylinder does cross over to the right side. Still true duals if you get my meaning.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #10

I agree... true duels

My last rally down in Austin TX I decided to remove the baffles all together for a day. I had a couple of Harley buddies refuse to ride behind me anymore unless I put em back in. Don't know what half would be like but all out is just STUPID loud ! ! ! !

Old 02-08-2008, 10:37 PM   #11

My V&H's stock were too loud. I put a baffle in each side. I really like these pipes. Now, if they had a tapered shape like the stock mufflers, they would be perfect.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:18 AM   #12
Sr. Contributor

A crossover pipe usually connects between the two pipes acting as a pressure balance. If it is a true dual, then each pipe gets all the exhaust gases for it's respective cylinder.

Quote:
they are true duals but the rear cylinder does cross over to the right side. Still true duals if you get my meaning.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11