Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-16-2009, 06:56 AM   #1

Knocking in the engine.

The knocking seems to be getting a little louder. I talk with another rider that has the same bike that I own. He told me his bike was doing the same thing right before the engine blew. He had only about 20,000 miles on it. Before this happened, he took it to a dealer and they said it sounded normal. The same thing they told me. He suggest to stop riding it and sell it as fast as possible. It's a 2006 Nomad. About 10,500 miles. Has anyone had this problem?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-16-2009, 08:12 AM   #2

Knocking in the engine.

I haven't ever had what I would call "knocking" more like "pinging", and supposedly all Nomads do this. My bike is brand new (2008) with not even 2000 miles on it yet.

From what I have been told, a fuel processor will assit greatly in getting rid of the "pinging" noise.

If it is a loud "knocking" that you hear, I would suggest consulting with Mac, he is the best!

Old 07-16-2009, 08:12 AM   #3

Knocking in the engine.

They are usually a very solid engine, hav'nt heard of any coming apart. Perhaps you should check the oil for metal particles, to see if something is not right.
These are rather noisey engines, so it may be that its normal. Everyone has their own interpritation of a knock, could it be the engine pinging or knocking under load? Try running premium fuel and see if that helps first.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Knocking in the engine.

One of these engine blew? I have my doubts on that unless it was both run out of oil and coolant.

I have a 06 with more miles than that, apx 14,000 and it runs stronger than the day I bought it, but then I made it that way.

What kind of knock are we talking about?

clicking sounds, rattleling sounds when you speed up? A low dull metalic thump?

Tell ya what you can do... Get a 24 or more inch long steel rod to use like a stethescope, or buy one made for techs and them probe around to listen.

You should say if the bike engine is all stock, or if it has been modified in the ehaust, intake and what ever else, if any.

I have high doubts your engine is going to blow. so long as the oil has been changed at a regular time some thing between 3,000 miles and 7,000.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 07-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #5

Knocking in the engine.

I agree with Mac, I find it hard to belive that one of these engines blew up, unless the owner was not taking care of it. Just the simple things like changing the oil regularly, making sure it has collant, etc., should keep this bike running for a very very long time.

More info would help. Have you modified the bike at all? What octane are you running?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Knocking in the engine.

Also where do you do most of your riding, at what elevation?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #7

Knocking in the engine.

I can tell you that going from a yamaha vmax to the Nomad was a great confidence killer for me because the Nomad engine makes so much more noise.

I now have done several mods and I can tell you that most of the noise is gone. I removed the reed valves and installed coaster, removed the solenoids from the right airbox. Removed the left filter housing and the crossover completely. this engine is just as quiet now as my vmax was. Stupid emissions crap will drive ya nuts.

If you truly have a knock that is related to a pending blow up it should increase in frequency and volume related to rpm. The trick mac suggested is exactly what you need to do to identify what part of the engine the noise is originating from. Once you determine that you can narrow down potential causes. If the bike sat for any length of time it could be a bad lifter. You may have a lifter that isn't "pumping up" after sitting. I had that on a honda shadow. Would have cost $400 to fix but would not have prolonged the engine much.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Knocking in the engine.

Mac did you mean 140,000 or 14,000 you have been to alot of states for only 14,000 I have a 06 with 27,000 and I havent been to nearly that amount of states.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #9

Knocking in the engine.

Just in case the lifters are sticky, try adding a few ounces of Seafoam to the oil and fuel and see if that makes a difference. Worst thing possible is that your engine will be clean inside.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #10
Top Contributor

Knocking in the engine.

These engines do have valve clatter. You can hear it alot. Its not the ISC solenoids, its valve clatter. its loud and nothing to do to change it. Normal motor sound for Nomads.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Knocking in the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirello
Mac did you mean 140,000 or 14,000 you have been to alot of states for only 14,000 I have a 06 with 27,000 and I havent been to nearly that amount of states.
I have 13,700 on the 06, not quite 14,000, but next ride will make it that.

I crossed the USA both ways on a 01 1500 which was stolen or I would still be riding it today. In fact I went from NH to Cal, Cal to Fla, then north west to Arkansas nearly 1/2 way to the west coast again sort of, and then back ti the east coast seeing the "Deep" South" which Fla ain't a part since it is an annex to New Your City

That 01 was used with about 12,000 on it when i bought it. I added on apx 9,000 getting to Cal, another 6,000 getting to Fla, and who knows what tinkerin around in Ar, Tn, Ky, Ga, Sc, and NC.

The bike was stolen in W.Va. Since then I made up that part of the ride with the 06. It isn't the exact same thing, but it was the best I could do.

In Ar we bought a van and a big enclosed trailer, for the bike and it's HF trailer. Something called winter hit on Turkey day as we entered Ar.

So no I did the trip on another bike, and there is 13,700 on this one now.

I hadn't seen many states before that either All the eastern states on the salty pond and only west to Oh and Michigan long ago.

When I was in Nova Scotia it was on a yammi.. 2002

I bought the 01 on May 20th 05 and had it 361 days.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 07-18-2009, 08:28 PM   #12
Top Contributor

Knocking in the engine.

very noisy engines indeed.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:38 PM   #13

Knocking in the engine.

I'm very disapointed about Nomads. Everything clatters and rattles in the engine. Synthetic oil helps a lot but it's still too noisy for me. One of the chains clattes very badly and I don't know if it's self adjusting or I have to get into the engine to fix it.
I've been hearing a very loud chirping whistle coming out of the front of the engine. It's about to drive me nuts. Anyone else hear that noise?
There is also an oil leak on top of the engine. Heck of a quality.
And he bike is less than 3 years old with less than 10,000 miles.
I'm seriously thinking about trading this bike for something else. The only other bike I like is Yamaha Venture but they are carburated. Gold Wings are very nice but they are too small for me, no leg room and their handle bars are too low and can not be adjusted. Some Harleys are nice but they are way overpriced for what you get.
Please tell me something nice about Nomads.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:39 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Knocking in the engine.

My '08 has had the clatter that sounds to me to be coming from the front of the engine. It is nothing new to me. The '07 Honda VTX sounded pretty much the same way. The only engine that hasn't had the clatter for me was my '83 Honda Goldwing. It was a very quiet engine.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 07-18-2009, 10:58 PM   #15

Knocking in the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
My '08 has had the clatter that sounds to me to be coming from the front of the engine. It is nothing new to me. The '07 Honda VTX sounded pretty much the same way. The only engine that hasn't had the clatter for me was my '83 Honda Goldwing. It was a very quiet engine.
I got to thinking (which does not happen often) :)
Maybe the windshield reflects a lot of noise from the engine. I'll try to ride without it tomorrow. Will see what happens.
Pinging is another problem that I've been experiencing. I never pinged when it was new. Now it seems to be getting worse. I've been playing with PC3 mapping and it helps some. But I have to pit as much as 40% bias in mid range PRM to eliminate the pinging. But at tha setting the mixture gets too rich and spark plugs turn black with a lot of black soot in the exhaust (stock pipes). PC3 offers maps on their Web site but their maps make the case even worse (more pinging).
How come Kawasaki can't engineer their bikes so they can run properly without modifications by a customer.?