Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #1

MP3 Player...Yes/No...head phone suggestions

I'm all for safety and I like to be aware of my surroundings but...thinking if I go on a long trip and it's me and the highway, a little tunes to pass the time would be nice.
Do you use an MP3 player and what type of head phones work best on a bike? Clip on, in the ear, etc. curious what works for you.
Thanks...
Joe

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-27-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
Top Contributor

I use a Creative Mp3 and in the ear headphones. This allows me to keep the volume lower and still hear what is going on in my surroundings. I wear them every time I commute to work and haven't had a problem hearing anything around me. I do admit though, wearing those will make you far more vigilant because you know you have the music going.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 01-27-2008, 09:03 PM   #3

I use the Sony in the ear head phones. Like SWB, I keep the volume down so I can hear what's around me.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #4

Always wear custom molded ear plugs to protect my hearing when I ride, but on a long trip if I want some tunes I use Shure E3s.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 01-27-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
Advanced Member

I really like having my mp3 on long rides when we are in the mountains are on the back rodes, when I'm in town are on the super slab I keep it off to here whats going on around me. I try and stay off the slab as much as I can so I all most always have the tune's going.
cheap mp3 but good gel-headphones
ride safe.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-27-2008, 10:26 PM   #6
Top Contributor

don't ride much with tunes most times but when i do it's Bose earphones.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:34 AM   #7
Mega-Contributor

I have a 30gb Zune that I use. Ear buds and helmet combination didn't work well for me. I bought a set of helmet speakers from www.helmetspeakers.com and mounted them in the ear flaps of my Nolan helmet. They work great. I can still hear traffic, sirens, etc., but it's sure nice having tunes while you're cruising. Riding through the desert at sunrise while listening to Pink Floyd is an amazing experience.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-28-2008, 07:41 AM   #8

I had issues with keeping slack in my headphones, so I went the speakers on the bars route. I use a Sansa E200 with the setup from cyclesounds There is not a lot of volume, so I can still hear the road sounds I need to hear. I may have found a way to boost the amplication more.
In either case, it's nice having tunes on a beautiful day like yesterday as you ride through the woods with sun streaming though - *OOps, just having a flashback :)

Old 01-28-2008, 09:34 AM   #9

I've tried using my Ipod Nano with the buds on a long trip before. It was fine but the ear buds really became annoyingly uncomfortable after a couple of hundred miles. I even took 3 different styles with me so I could change them out and it didn't matter.

I now have an mp3 player built into my gps (Zumo 550) and it is paired with the Scala Rider Head Set via blue tooth. It works extremely well and is a great combination. When navigating, the music is overridden by the gps navigation voice and then it returns to music. And...you can also use the cell phone hands free through the gps. I haven't taken a long ride with it yet but I have experimented with it around town. If you are planning on taking some long rides, it's worth the money.

Gps set aside, the bike to bike communication capability just using the Scala Rider Head Set paired to a cell phone provides incredibly clear communication with no range limitation. Of course, that is until you lose your cell phone signals..."Can you hear me now?" ???

Old 01-28-2008, 10:57 AM   #10

I use an Ipod now,I have a stereo with a CD player but it wasn't as good. It skipped on bumps, and was a pain to change discs while riding. With the Ipod I use an FM tranmitter so it plays through the speakers, as earphones make my ears sore after a while. I love it , it holds a 1000 songs and isn't much larger than a credit card. Also I don't have to carry and change CD's anymore. Most of the time Im content to here only the bike , but I listen to the music on longer rides.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #11

My tunes are from the Blaupunkt Melbourne SD27 Radio. It has a SD Drive where I've down loaded hours of tunes. It doesnt have a CD so I have no skipping of disks. They are about $250 for the unit.
http://www.blaupunkt.com/us/7647533310_main.asp

Old 01-28-2008, 12:03 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt

I use a mp3 player with the clip on ear buds. I like them better than the "push in" type since it doesn't restrict my sound and doesn't interfear with my brain bucket. I'm looking into the blue tooth route though...to get away from the cords all together.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:40 PM   #13
Advanced Member

http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index...e=1#1195077102
VBA #00077

Old 01-28-2008, 05:15 PM   #14

Send a message via MSN to mlogsdon

Anybody use some good handlebar mounted speakers they want to reccomend instead of the in-ear or in-helmet?

Old 01-28-2008, 08:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Anybody use some good handlebar mounted speakers they want to reccomend instead of the in-ear or in-helmet?
See my earlier post> IMHO, the rumbleroads are too big. Realize no speaker is going to be like sitting in a concert hall. The ones I have are very much like listening to a radio.