Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #1

Darkside Downside. Are there any cons?

What are the arguments for not using a car tire?

I keep reading all the good about going to the darkside. I was all convinced until I talked to a 70 year old motorcycle guru. He said, don't do it, there are some downsides. The number one being the tire bead of a car tire will slip on the motorcycle rim. Has anyone heard of this happening?

I have good rubber still on my Nomad but I was all set to switch to a car tire next time. I was thinking of using the taller 185/75/16 to keep my speedometer accurate and for a relaxed top gear.

I know there are some Nomad genius' on this site using a CT. So I know I am not taking a big risk but are the car tires any less safe.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #2

If your guru friend truly means "slipping" on rim, my ct has not moved since mounted. Still aligned with yellow dot. That's how I find the valve, look for the yellow dot.
In all the research I did before going with ct, I have not read or heard of any "slipping" on rim situation. Nor have I heard of any instance of ct coming off the rim.
Does you guru friend have first hand experience using car tire?

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 06-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
Top Contributor

It's almost funny. 99%, or maybe even higher, of the naysayers and negative comment makers have never tried a car tire on a motorcycle.

Now I wouldn't recommend using a car tire on a sport/super bike due to the excessive lean angles these bikes are capable of.

Cruisers and touring bikes don't have that issue.

I have never heard of a car tire slipping on the rim.

I'm not aware of any "downsides" of using a car tire on a Nomad.

As most of the Darksiders on this forum will say, do your research and make your own decision.

Here are a few links to sites with good information about the Darkside:

http://www.tomfranken.com/Darkside/Default.htm
http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/...eDarkSide.html
http://forums.delphiforums.com/DarkSiding/start
http://forums.delphiforums.com/DarkS...ges/?msg=110.1
http://www.valkyrieriders.com/shoptalk/CarTire/home.htm

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 06-23-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
Advanced Member

havent found any downside yet. there are some who have logged over 40,000 on a car tire. think i hav heard of only one biker going back to a mt after going with a ct, and i cant remember the reason why? dont think it was a real serious reason, just a personal choice. and thats cool, thats the way it should be, a personal choice. i dont ever see a reason for me to go back to a mt. have put on bout 2500 miles on my ct so far and no complaints.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #5

No downsides for me. Handles great, no slipping issues, same as the others. I agree with Bob, almost every naysayer has never tried it and like most things only repeat what 'they have heard'. I think a poorly matched tire to rim could likely have many issues including slipping, but the tires that are recommended for the Nomad seem to be a very nice fit for the rim.

This being said, do your research and make an informed decision, the delphi darkside forum is a good source as well.

It is not the norm, so you need to be comfortable with the decision, regardless of the pros and cons that you get. I personally felt the pros far outweighed the cons, and have not regretted it since I made the switch, but that is me, everyone needs to be very sure they are making the right decision for their situation.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki Nomad (sold)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
http://www.strobel.ws
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Very Well Stated!!!! thnx strobe!

Old 06-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #7
Mega-Contributor

Downsides?

No car tire manufacturer/dealer is going to support installing a car tire on a motorcycle.

No motorcycle manufacturer/dealer is going to support installing a car tire on a motorcycle.

Other than that, none that I can think of. I am still planning on doing it when my Avon Cobra wears out.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-23-2009, 10:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Downsides?

No car tire manufacturer/dealer is going to support installing a car tire on a motorcycle.

No motorcycle manufacturer/dealer is going to support installing a car tire on a motorcycle.

Other than that, none that I can think of. I am still planning on doing it when my Avon Cobra wears out.
+1 on the no support from the manufacturer / dealer.

Some dealers will install, most won't though.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 06-23-2009, 11:25 PM   #9

Thanks for your thoughts guys. And Yellow Jacket thanks for the links, I read each of them.

I am still waiting to hear a downside to installing a CT. I have never heard of anyone going back to a M/C tire. My friend who talked about the tire slipping on the wheel had no first hand experience with the slippage.

It's strange that most dealers wont install the car tire and the manufacturers won't support it either. But there are no logical explanations. This sounds like a (Cover Their Tush) response to keep them all out of court.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmac
Thanks for your thoughts guys. And Yellow Jacket thanks for the links, I read each of them.

I am still waiting to hear a downside to installing a CT. I have never heard of anyone going back to a M/C tire. My friend who talked about the tire slipping on the wheel had no first hand experience with the slippage.

It's strange that most dealers wont install the car tire and the manufacturers won't support it either. But there are no logical explanations. This sounds like a (Cover Their Tush) response to keep them all out of court.
That is exactly the reason, they have not tested and certified it, so will not support it for fear of getting sued. Same goes for installers. Sad world we live in sometimes in my opinion.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 06-24-2009, 11:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf
There are some who have logged over 40,000 on a car tire. think i hav heard of only one biker going back to a mt after going with a ct, and i cant remember the reason why? dont think it was a real serious reason, just a personal choice. and thats cool, thats the way it should be, a personal choice. i dont ever see a reason for me to go back to a mt. have put on bout 2500 miles on my ct so far and no complaints.
Are car tires immune to the cupping problem that plague motorcycle tires to get so much mileage from them?

Old 06-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf
There are some who have logged over 40,000 on a car tire. think i hav heard of only one biker going back to a mt after going with a ct, and i cant remember the reason why? dont think it was a real serious reason, just a personal choice. and thats cool, thats the way it should be, a personal choice. i dont ever see a reason for me to go back to a mt. have put on bout 2500 miles on my ct so far and no complaints.
Are car tires immune to the cupping problem that plague motorcycle tires to get so much mileage from them?

Great question.
Based on my research, ct's are not totally immune due to variables like out of balance. I suspect extremely low air pressure would enter into it as well.
But, we all know with m/c tires its not a question of IF tires will cup, but when.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 06-24-2009, 06:08 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

I think your old rider buddy was talking about spoked wheels and tube type tires. As a wee lad lots of real mc tires had a square profile anyway.

There is one big DOWN SIDE!!!!!

It happens to the dealer who isn't going to SELL you a new rear tire in 8,000 miles or less!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-24-2009, 06:21 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to dabull

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
I think your old rider buddy was talking about spoked wheels and tube type tires. As a wee lad lots of real mc tires had a square profile anyway.

There is one big DOWN SIDE!!!!!

It happens to the dealer who isn't going to SELL you a new rear tire in 8,000 miles or less!
VERY well put macmac AND at $180 a pop!!

Old 06-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #15

I went for a 130 mile ride through some of the curviest canyons in utah today. The ct grip very well. So far, absolutely no down sides for me. (I have a buddy that owns a shop and mounted for me with even questioning.)
VBA #1051 (Former President)