Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-29-2009, 09:51 PM   #1

Powerlet and Garmin

Just posting these pics of the final result of my Powerlet Powerplus Outlet and the Garmin Zumo GPS. I really like this arrangement over the options that come with the Zumo. It's a lot cleaner looking when I take the unit off the bike.

Here's the pics:

Russ

Fraternal Order of Police, NY Lodge 50
American Legion, NY Post 616
Legion Riders, NY Post 259
Patriot Guard Riders

"A democracy is two wolves deciding on lunch, freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of that decision." - Ben Franklin

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-29-2009, 10:42 PM   #2

Powerlet and Garmin

Looks very clean. You really get what you pay for huh?

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 03-30-2009, 12:58 AM   #3

Powerlet and Garmin

Nice, really fits the bike well. You have to like the integrated powerlet and RAM mount.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki Nomad (sold)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
http://www.strobel.ws
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 03-30-2009, 04:22 AM   #4

Powerlet and Garmin

Nice job..

Old 03-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
Top Contributor

Powerlet and Garmin

Hi, how does that set up convert the 12 volts on the bike to the 5 volts needed for the GPS ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-30-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Powerlet and Garmin

Hi, how does that set up convert the 12 volts on the bike to the 5 volts needed for the GPS ?

I have a Magellan Crossover, and it came with the car adapter where it plugs into a cigar lighter. Does it change the voltage? I wondered the same thing.
Looks great
I'm happy with my almost exact same kind of hook up.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 03-30-2009, 06:36 PM   #7

Powerlet and Garmin

I purchased the Powerlet unit also -- mainly for its looks.

Regarding the power to the GPS... you'll have to let Powerlet know what unit you are powering as the power-supply cord is important in providing the correct power.

I had a problem. My GPS is a Magellan for my car. It has a USB power cord. The cord from Powerlet did not work as Magellan and many other GPS manufacturers change the "pin" setup in the USB cord specific to their units only -- thus you have to buy cords from them only. (The manufacturers are not willing to let this info out readily -- thus someone has to have taken apart one of their cords to know the pin-setup.)

In addition... my unit has two transformers included on its cord. One is in the cigarette lighter male-plug; the other on the cord itself. Thus I had to return the cord to Powerlet; and buy their cigarette lighter adapter -- then I just plug-in the cigarette power cord that came with my GPS.

Not exactly as I would have wished for it originally; but it will work until I buy another GPS unit that accepts a Powerlet power cord.

The warning here is that you must be sure to use the correct power cord for your unit or run the risk of burning it up... at least that is what Powerlet's staff told me... which is especially true for Magellan's units.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 03-30-2009, 09:27 PM   #8

Powerlet and Garmin

ok I posted this before but I'll do it again here just to make sure. I have a garmin nuvi 750. it has a cigerrette lighter plug for the car and a usb cord to charge with the computer. I figured i could just take the lighter plug apart, install a inline fuse, using the same fuse that came with it and hook directly to the battery. This should work right?

Old 03-30-2009, 09:47 PM   #9

Powerlet and Garmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by borto1990
ok I posted this before but I'll do it again here just to make sure. I have a garmin nuvi 750. it has a cigerrette lighter plug for the car and a usb cord to charge with the computer. I figured i could just take the lighter plug apart, install a inline fuse, using the same fuse that came with it and hook directly to the battery. This should work right?
Edit - delete original post....

Here is what I found at GPSCity:

"I bought this cable so I could power my Nuvi 5000 from my motorcycle and use the original power cable that came with my GPS in my car. I was concerned that there might be a transformer to step down the 12 V vehicle power. Since I was directly wiring to the battery (through a fuse) I pulled apart the piece that plugs into a cigarette lighter and found no electronics hiding in there - just straight 12 V power and ground wires."

This is the same power unit that is used to the 7xx series, so it should be fine.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 03-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #10

Powerlet and Garmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider
Looks very clean. You really get what you pay for huh?
You ain't kiddin'. It was a tad pricey but, I like it loads better than leaving the Garmin mount on the bike permanently. It is a much cleaner installation. I have the added bonus of being able to use the battery tender through the outlet.

Uncle Sam really helped me out on this with my tax refund.

Russ

Patriot Guard Riders

"A democracy is two wolves deciding on lunch, freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of that decision." - Ben Franklin

Old 03-30-2009, 09:55 PM   #11

Powerlet and Garmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay
The conversion, on the Zumo, must be accomplished inside the unit's mount. You see the mount in the first pic. Although the power wire shown comes from Powerlet, the wiring provided with the unit is a direct line with only an inline fuse. There is no converter like you might find with the car specific models.

Russ

Patriot Guard Riders

Old 03-31-2009, 12:12 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Powerlet and Garmin

I like that setup but I'm a little baffled? Almost all the aftermarket GPS I've seen plug into your cigarette lighter (12v). Isn't the Powerlet just a pretty and elequent cigarette lighter plug? Or is that recepticle totally different? Seems to me if it is 12V standard plug, then any GPS manufacturer's male end should plug into it as if in a car?

bkmaxvrb states his is double duty as a battery tender so it should just be a hot 12V. plug right? The step down would be in the cord of ANY GPS manufacturer's unit?

Unless of course that receptical the Zumo is plugged into is not just a standared cigarette plug. ??

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 03-31-2009, 12:24 PM   #13

Powerlet and Garmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
I like that setup but I'm a little baffled? Almost all the aftermarket GPS I've seen plug into your cigarette lighter (12v). Isn't the Powerlet just a pretty and elequent cigarette lighter plug? Or is that recepticle totally different? Seems to me if it is 12V standard plug, then any GPS manufacturer's male end should plug into it as if in a car?

bkmaxvrb states his is double duty as a battery tender so it should just be a hot 12V. plug right? The step down would be in the cord of ANY GPS manufacturer's unit?

Unless of course that receptical the Zumo is plugged into is not just a standared cigarette plug. ??
For Garmin units the cigarette plugs are straight 12V. There is no step down built into them. For the Zumo there is a straight 12V cable you can buy that is basically the same as the cigarette plug, without the end on it.

I think the confusion comes from using a USB cable which is a 5V vs. a 12V car plug. The difference is going to be handled inside the unit. In my experience the unit charges much slower off a USB port because there is less power available to charge that battery. I personally think the GPS units will handle 12V, but will run as low as the 5V USB power. Any conversion or inversion of power would be handled within the unit.

If you want to use the USB cable with a powerlet (or cigarette lighter) then you need a converter that will step the voltage down from 12V to the expected 5V.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 03-31-2009, 09:12 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Powerlet and Garmin

No moss or nuthin huh? A Tiny Tv set tells you which way Nawth is and then what? I suppose some slinky female voice comes on with bedroom eyes... Come hither boys. come hither......

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 03-31-2009, 10:20 PM   #15

Powerlet and Garmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
No moss or nuthin huh? A Tiny Tv set tells you which way Nawth is and then what? I suppose some slinky female voice comes on with bedroom eyes... Come hither boys. come hither......
Nope, I don't wanna get off the bike to see what side of the tree the moss is growin' on. And, yes, I really do like the sexy female voice tellin' me where to go. She actually gets me places without yellin', screamin', or any other kind of fuss. Plus...this one sings to me. Right now there's about 411 songs on there. I need to add a few.

Russ

Patriot Guard Riders