Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 12-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #16

Since you already have the holes in the bags it would be hard to change their locations.

I'm a way better carpenter than I will ever be a mechanic. If I wanted to rebend them I would build a jig shapped like a narrow ladder with some long legs for leverage. 2x4's would be strong enough and provide a wide enough surface to not damage the metal. You could inlay the rungs a bit for strength after you find the angle that works best for the rails. Hand pressure on the other end should be enough to bend them with a really slow even pressure to avoid cracking the chrome.

If you change the angle very much, your holes still won't line up. So, you might be as far ahead to just move the rails and get some body work.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #17
Top Contributor

Kris and jen --- I know how they're SUPPOSED to look. The way they're bent, they won't fit correctly. I thought it might turn out ok so I mounted them as close as I could. Turns out it didn't look good enough which is why I took them back off. The way the mounts line up, I'm guessing they just didn't get bent enough at the factory. If they were bent a bit more, I think everything would line up well.

Mark --- I can't see spending $100 in materials just to rebend a $50 part. Since it's obvious I'm not going to sell these, I'll put them up in the garage for now. Eventually, I'll find someone with the tools to rebend them. I plugged the holes and plan on adding some bag chaps this winter so nobody (but me) will ever know of my screw up. If I ever get the racks rebent correctly, I'll see about mounting them again (on top of the chaps). They're off far enough that I can drill new holes without interfering with the current one. That's how off they are.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 12-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #18

+1

That is where I was going when asking for a closer picture. I think that those rails are exactly the same as mine.. They were just mounted incorrectly.

Here's a picture from another angle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image C.jpg (71.7 KB, 14 views)
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 12-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
Thats a sharp looking bike Jendesigner, I like the seat you have on it.
Thanks, it is as Corbin solo seat. A very comfortable seat. If you just sat on it you would think I was crazy, but I did a 640 mile day in the seat with no problems.
VBA #02051
2012 NCR Rally, Savanna, IL

Old 12-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by markclark57 View Post
Since you already have the holes in the bags it would be hard to change their locations.

I'm a way better carpenter than I will ever be a mechanic. If I wanted to rebend them I would build a jig shapped like a narrow ladder with some long legs for leverage. 2x4's would be strong enough and provide a wide enough surface to not damage the metal. You could inlay the rungs a bit for strength after you find the angle that works best for the rails. Hand pressure on the other end should be enough to bend them with a really slow even pressure to avoid cracking the chrome.

If you change the angle very much, your holes still won't line up. So, you might be as far ahead to just move the rails and get some body work.
No body work would be need really. I have a buddy who has a black Nomad and when he removed his rails he simply put some small plastic caps/plugs in the holes. They were hardly noticeable.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Mark --- I can't see spending $100 in materials just to rebend a $50 part.
An 8' 2x4 @ Home Depot is $2.21 (here). You could probably borrow a hammer. 8 nails at a lumber store might run 25ยข. The bag rails are 4 3/4" wide. Home Depot will cut your new 2x4 for little or nothing. Have 2 cuts @ 6" and 2 at 3' 6". Your wooden jig costs less than $3.00 (unless there's lots of taxes in your area?)

Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
Phoenix, AZ

Old 12-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #22

And a deadblow hammer at Harbour Freight can be had for around $3.00 on sale.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #23

You wouldn't need a hammer with a wooden jig. Just push on it with your hand. One rung for anchor at the end of the rack. One rung where you want more bend. push down on the other end and your done. Repeat for the other side and then recycle the jig for fire wood.

Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
Phoenix, AZ

Old 12-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #24
Top Contributor

Where do we start?

Jared --- Mine may be the same racks but they were bent incorrectly. If you set them on the bags where the belong, the 2 inner bars touch the bag but the mounting studs don't. Sort of see saws. Once bent correctly, it may all line up perfectly. I have plastic hole plugs in the old holes now. They'll get a touch of silicone this winter so they remain water tight. Another reason to put chaps on is to hide the plugs (as opposed to doing it correctly and having the holes filled).

Mark --- Mock that up in Photoshop or Paint and send it to me, please. I'm a bit confused as to how the jig would go together. I'd think it would need to be as wide as the rack or it would bend it crooked or break it completely. I'm sure you know what you're talking about but I'm still unclear. Hell, if I can fix these for $10 or $15, I'm set. Thanks.

EDIT: The other possibility that I just thought of is that the outer rails are bent correctly but the inner rails are too short and are a bit straighter (not enough material to bend completely). I'll have to figure out a way to check that. (Cardboard template, maybe.) If that's the case, I wouldn't be able to bend them but I could cut off the inner 2 rails with only some tiny grind marks to show for it. I'd still mount them that way as I don't plan on actually loading stuff on them. Looks only. And it would be unique (which seems to be the theme of my bike anyway ).
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Last edited by Monkeyman; 12-13-2011 at 08:31 PM.