Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-07-2019, 05:50 AM   #16

I never thought i would read comments like this in a bike group.It seems there would need to be a total attitude change in America,before it would be safe to do it.Maybe the bloke with the 2x4 in his pickup,would prefer it if he could just shoot anyone who overtakes him.Everywhere else in the world, it's an accepted thing,and drivers are not only aware,but most of them look out for,and help the bikers out where they can.As for the waiting in line like everybody else comment.Dont you overtake a slow truck going uphill,what's the difference ? As long as it's done safely,i dont see why it should be an issue at all.In fact,if it were accepted,more people would see the advantage,and ride bikes themselves.That in turn would ease the congestion for everyone else.Most European cities now have bicycle lanes,and they have proven to do just that.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #17
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck A. View Post
No, I don't live in a state with legal lane splitting laws. If I did, I would have a piece of 2x4 hanging out the corner of my truck bed at helmet height,,,,,, just saying.
I can't believe that a "biker" would actually threaten another biker for doing something legal. You sir (and I use that term loosely) are no biker. You are just another one of the thugs out there who believe they are above everyone else.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 01-07-2019, 09:47 AM   #18
Mega-Contributor

Having ridden in many parts of California, and been stuck on I-10 outside of Riverside in 105° heat and traffic was stopped dead for at least a mile. I watched a Gold Wing split lanes and figured if he could do it, so could I. Some drivers actually moved to make sure I had room. I wouldn't do it in moving traffic, but when traffic is stopped, it's a godsend.

If you've never done it, don't knock it.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-07-2019, 10:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
And you call yourself a biker? What an A$$hole.
No kidding!

Old 01-07-2019, 10:24 AM   #20

If you don't want to, don't. But don't tell me if I can or can not do something you do not want to do.

I think I'll sell the bike. Someone might turn left in front of me. It's been known to happen. Come to think of it, I could get hurt in my car. It's been known to happen. Time to sell that too.

I think I'm going to just stay indoors. There's a large tree outside and a branch may break off killing me. It's been known to happen.

Now all of you have gotten me so scared, I'll going to start looking around the home and start getting rid of stuff that may hurt me.

If only our legislators would act to protect us.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Dave; 01-07-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:18 PM   #21

I was the Riding Safety Moderator on this forum for seven years. To have a member deliberately state he would injure, maim or kill a biker even if lane splitting was legal in his state is disgusting. I have to question whether this member actually rides a motorcycle.

Some simple facts. Properly done lane splitting is safer than being stalled in stop and go traffic. There is less chance of a biker being pancaked between two cars. Whether anyone chooses to do it or not is their choice. There are very specific rules in California and done correctly is not any more dangerous than riding in normal traffic.

The last time I was in California a motor cop waved me in behind him and I followed for a couple of miles lane splitting. Since I don't live in California I don't know if I would be comfortable doing it by myself. One of those if you live there you're used to it and if you don't will probably be more cautious. Just because you don't do it or don't like it does not mean everyone else is wrong.

As always be alert, ride safely, and pay extra attention to what's happening.
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Old 01-07-2019, 06:37 PM   #22

I agree with most comments. What makes a motorcyclist special? It would piss me off if someone flew by me as I was sitting in traffic. That being said, I have used the shoulder to pass cars to make a right turn where very few cars were turning.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:58 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by KURT44 View Post
I agree with most comments. What makes a motorcyclist special? It would piss me off if someone flew by me as I was sitting in traffic. That being said, I have used the shoulder to pass cars to make a right turn where very few cars were turning.
What a strange attitude.Why would it piss you off.Because someone decides to use their bike as it was intended,while you just sit there in line ? Surely it would make more sense for you to do the same.If you cant,or wont do something,dont get all bent out of shape because someone else does.
And by your own admission,you do it when it suits you anyway.

Last edited by mick56; 01-07-2019 at 07:24 PM.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:20 PM   #24

Mick it's impossible to make sense of the American attitude. Erratic behavior can manifest at anytime. Missouri has never had a lane splitting law, it has always been legal. Very few bikers use it. This is one of those " I'll just shoot you if I don't like you", states.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:02 PM   #25
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KURT44 View Post
What makes you so special? You do know that driving on the shoulder is illegal in all states while lane splitting is legal in some. The only times I have ever been pissed at a motorcyclist is when they are doing something stupid and illegal.

So do you get pissed at bicyclists using the bicycle lane only?
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 01-07-2019, 08:13 PM   #26

I am from the lane splitting state of California and I did do this when I lived in Southern California. It was only done on the freeways that had carpool lanes with a wider lane between the carpool lane and fast lane. I would only go 10-15 mph faster than the cars when doing this and move back into the carpool lane when a faster biker came up behind me. If the traffic was moving faster than 20 mph I would not lane split.

I am living in Northern California now and have never split lanes since living here. The lane between the carpool and fast lane is too narrow to safely do this for me. That being said when in my car I still move over for bikers coming up behind me when I see them in my mirrors.

When doing lane splitting you need to assume all the responsibility of any accident as you are encroaching on the cars useable lane width area on both sides of you. You also can receive a ticket if the carpool lane has a double yellow line and you cross it. Most CHP motorcycle riders will let you slide on that as they do it all the time. I would always cross the line for more room between the cars if needed or stay between the two sets of double yellow lines when they were present.

I do not get upset at bikers doing this since it actually helps with the traffic congestion and I don't understand the people that do have a problem with lane splitting. It is legal here so no reason to be mad at someone that is following the law.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 01-08-2019, 05:41 AM   #27

Everybody pile on Chuck for being a smart ass.

Now that everyone has crucified him, let it go.

I have spent time with Chuck, and riding around with a 2x4 knocking idiots in the head, is not something I can see him ACTUALLY doing.

How many of us have said, and will say things like this?

I have a crotch rocket rider that I see lane splitting every morning, here where it is illegal.

It can scare the hell out of a driver who doesn't expect it when he flies by only inches away.

The day I see that he has met his end, I'll not shed a tear because of this idiot.

Do what you want, you're over 21.

Just please, don't run someone out of town for making a smart assed comment.
VBA 936

Old 01-08-2019, 05:42 AM   #28
Advanced Member

All it takes is one guy to open his door to spit or dump out his coffee or whatever and you are done, not for me...EVER.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:03 AM   #29
Advanced Member

Now that I woke ya'll up, What is the difference in a 2x4 and a car mirror? Lane splitting is one thing but the film clips shown is the complete reason I am against lane splitting. Ya'll call the cagers stupid?! Those were not 'Bikers'. Those were 'abusers'. They show no care for the people in the cars/trucks/rigs. Go sit in judgement on yourself if you think any different.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:47 AM   #30

Well, I've been in a serious accident before....but if someone is fool enough to risk it, so be it.....make themselves happy.
I ride a 2001 Nomad, and she's a little too fat for such things....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI