Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-30-2018, 03:51 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Bar Backs

The friend who bought my 1600 is having an ergonomics issue. He has his 1500 set up exactly the way he wants it and it is perfectly comfortable for him. This issue is that he'd like the bars on the 1600 to be about 3 inches back towards him.

I installed the Chuckster 2 inch riser/spacers and took about an inch off of each end of the bars, installing aftermarket grips, making it perfect for me.

Does anyone make just a bar back. Mike is thinking he wants to keep the risers but just bring the bar back 2.5 to 3 inches.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-30-2018, 08:48 PM   #2

be carefull
I bought pull back risers 3'' up 1'' back
they fouled the speedo cowl.
only get the ones that have been fitted to a same bike
i:e tried and tru.
wait for an answer from someone who has done it..
Cadmad / K&N + original intact
Progresive 412HD / Front springs also
Darkside rear tire 36psi 195/55/16
Towbar/ classic trailer
Penrite HPR15 diesel oil
Led lights front and back

Old 09-30-2018, 08:53 PM   #3

Just get a 10" min set of mini apes and do it right.

I put a set of 10" on my Nomad with the stock lines and cables.

Then I used new extended hoses when I went with the 12' apes.

With the stock seat the 10s were great.

Once I put the Corbin on, the 12s were exactly right for me.
VBA 936

Old 10-01-2018, 01:39 PM   #4
Advanced Member

What Mike has done is to set the 1600 next to his well used 1500 to determine how to modify the 1600 in order to get the same comfort level. He has the original bars on his 1500 but with them pulled way down at the ends. Not for me.

He tried the risers he has on the 1500, which came off of a Harley Heritage Classic, and found as scooter1600 warned, they fowled the instrument cowl. Off they came.

On the apes, he's not a fan.

He saw the adjustable 2 inch ROX risers I have on my VStrom sidecar rig and thought they'd do the trick so we ordered a set. Mike lives off the grid and doesn't have a computer so I found them on Rev Zilla. I have the ones designed for sport & adventure bikes but discovered they have a line for cruiser bikes that go up to 4 inch. He originally thought to get the 3 inch but I pointed out that they'd put the bars over the cowl so he decided on the 2 inch. The first link is for what I have and the second the cruiser line.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...r-1-handlebars

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...r-1-handlebars

This is getting fun. I get to work on my Nomad even though I don't own it anymore.

Last edited by Navigator; 10-01-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:16 PM   #5
Advanced Member

When I bought my '06 Nomad I couldn't ride more than short, very short, distances before I had to get off and stretch. The stock bars and risers caused me to have to hunch my back and the pain in my neck and upper back was no fun. I bought Phat 2 risers and instantly solved the problem. They lift the bars a couple inches and bring them back towards the rider so that you're sitting more upright, not hunched over like the posers. The bars and riser ends clear the speepo housing (not my speedo, the tank's). I didn't need longer lines, I just moved the brake lever a little forward to create a little slack that was lost by the new risers. As I said in a long ago post, I'm in Phat City now....

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-01-2018, 06:19 PM   #6
Advanced Member

on my 800 I installed Charlotte NC Aeromach risers, I think they are 2 up and 2 back, I had to buy longer bolts as the bolts included were a bit too short, all went well, i'm 5'7 and reach to grips is much better now

Old 10-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #7
Advanced Member

The Rox's are on the way and it will be interesting to see if they fit. Tortuga, Mike's having the same problem. He pointed out yesterday that I lean a little bit forward when I ride (never noticed it myself) while he sits straight up. His car was rear ended when he was a young Sailor driving to his new duty station. It broke his neck as well as destroying pancreas, making him a permanent diabetic.

The prior broken neck prevents him from leaning forward much so it's important that he get it right.I'm hoping the Rox's do the trick from him. I'll post a pic when he gets them installed.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:51 PM   #8
Advanced Member

It did the trick for me. I'm sit bolt upright but the hunched posture was a killer. I may have some defects that the posture irritated but bringing the bars up and back worked. I should add that I'm only 5' 7". Someone taller may not have the same problem.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #9
Advanced Member

The Rox risers were perfect. Mike was going to get the 3 inch but I suggested the 2 inch and he's glad he did. Rox's are not commonly seen on bikes like Nomads but they look right and work great.