Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-10-2018, 01:27 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Sold my beautiful 2007 Nomad

No this isn't a technical issue in keeping with the purpose of this 1500/1600 forum but just wanted to thank all for the great technical support I received over the last few years. There is a wealth of knowledge. I also met some very fine riders, to include the fun bunch of Canucks a few years ago at Salmon Arm. I always regretted getting separated from the other riders.

The Nomad is one of the finest bikes I've ever owned and mine is a real beauty on which I receive many compliments, to include from Harley and Indian riders. My knees have finally gone though and I'll be getting them replaced over the winter. Yuck. I almost dropped the Nomad moving it the crushed rock in front of my shop today so it truly is sadly time for it to go.

It is going to a good home however, to a close friend who has three 1500s between his house in St Mary's, GA and here in Washington. He knows them well, is an Iron Butt rider and is an excellent mechanic. He just doesn't keep them as cleaned and polished as I do my bikes though. Mike took it for a two hour test ride today, returned to the house and said "Sold".

I have a sidecar rig and two other bikes, one a Rocket 3 Touring that will also go up for sale.

I'll stick around the forum a bit for awhile and contribute when I can.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-10-2018, 12:48 PM   #2

Getting old sucks............I had to sell my 1500 and find something smaller (lighter) that I could pick up by myself when necessary (it always becomes necessary sooner or later). I opted for a Kawasaki KLE650 LT...........a nice light touring bike that is faster than stink on a dead skunk. I hope the operations come out well.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:02 PM   #3

Well dude....there are options. I'm building a trike.....cause I have failing knees.....still love to ride, and I always will.
Theres the conventional trike kits, then theres the reverse trikers, like Tilting Motor Works, etc.
I was building a turbo'ed big bore 1500 into a trike, guy from Ca. looked at it and bought it from me. Now, cutting up a 1500 frame to fit a Chevy 350 w/man. trans.....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 09-12-2018, 04:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Well dude....there are options. I'm building a trike.....cause I have failing knees.....still love to ride, and I always will.
Theres the conventional trike kits, then theres the reverse trikers, like Tilting Motor Works, etc.
I was building a turbo'ed big bore 1500 into a trike, guy from Ca. looked at it and bought it from me. Now, cutting up a 1500 frame to fit a Chevy 350 w/man. trans.....
That sounds interesting.........I for one would like to see pics and progress reporting. The neatest trike (homebuilt) I've ever seen was a HD Servi-car with a flathead Ford V-8 for a power plant.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:13 PM   #5

Well Duffy, I'm in the measure twice, cut once phase.....I'm kinda leaning toward the V6, which means I wouldn't be so cramped with room. I have a really short 3 speed manual trans the will fit both the V8/V6. The V6 can use a smaller radiator, also.
I plan on also hiding all the electronics up in the stock tank, efi setup, relays, etc. Bottom of tank will be cut out. Actual tank will be by the rearend....am gonna shoot for 10-14 gallons. My Butt will be sitting on the bellhousing....
Will take pics when the slicing and dicing begins....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by DragonLady58; 09-12-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:32 PM   #6

Well Duffy, I'm in the measure twice, cut once phase.....I'm kinda leaning toward the V6, which means I wouldn't be so cramped with room. I have a really short 3 speed manual trans the will fit both the V8/V6. The V6 can use a smaller radiator, also.
I plan on also hiding all the electronics up in the stock tank, efi setup, relays, etc. Bottom of tank will be cut out. Actual tank will be by the rearend....am gonna shoot for 10-14 gallons. My Butt will be sitting on the bellhousing....
Will take pics when the slicing and dicing begins....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 09-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #7

With the flathead V-8 conversion I saw the gent said he used a Model T trans cause it was real short and he could keep the overall length down to almost normal Servi-car specs.....not sure how he was doing the shifting since a "T" shifted by three foot pedals. That sort of "engineering" has always interested me, just make it fit and work.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:32 AM   #8
Advanced Member

I have a sidecar on another bike and investigated hacking the Nomad. DMC Sidecars here in Washington does them but it's not the best candidate. It should be an easy deal to trike a Nomad and I considered it.

Getting knew knees over the winter. I just didn't want this beautiful bike sitting for 9 months while I figure out if the surgeries go OK. My friend loves it.

Last edited by Navigator; 09-30-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:24 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Yes i gotta agree with ya! The Vulcan Nomads Are super great bikes, no doubt! They have everything I need, and mucho torque, very reliable, Love em!

2008 1600 Nomad 56K miles "BlueBelle"

2004 1500 Nomad 102 K miles "Black Beauty"

ABATE Black Creek Chapter

Amvet Rider Post 86
http://www.facebook.com/AmvetPost86

Weston A. Price Foundation member.

Vegetarian......
An old Indian word meaning "Bad Hunter"

Legalize Freedom!
Question Authority!

"Im in love with the waitress, and I dont even know her name"
"Boys" Gone Wild" ! Mainstreet Station 2012 Daytona Bikeweek

Old 09-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #10
Advanced Member

Navigator, you get to keep and forever enjoy something that cannot be sold or is for sale, 'Your memories of past rides and rallies'.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:35 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Had a beer this evening with my friend who bought it. It's a regular cabal of local riders and retirees who meet at our favorite watering hole that sits on Sinclair Inlet in Port Orchard. They show up to have a beer and tell stories five days a week. My friend Mike is a great mechanic and a nationwide rider that I believe I mentioned earlier and he is just so pleased with it.

He was telling all that he coveted my Nomad from the first day he saw it after I purchased it. He has been personalizing it since he rode it away and assuring me he'll take good care of it.

I told all about my wonderful rides on the Nomad and how difficult it was to sell, which they all know well.

They are just such very fine bikes with a beautiful fit and finish. Yup, I'll miss her.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Now, cutting up a 1500 frame to fit a Chevy 350 w/man. trans.....
Whaa? Can't wait to see that one...; there will be pictures, right?
Harley Bagger Muffs
Christian Motorcycle Rider