Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-19-2018, 01:58 PM   #1

Where to start? Coolant leak

Still working out the gremlins on my used nomad purchase. This morning I found a small amount of coolant at the base of the rear cylinder. It had run down the front right corner of the rear cylinder and after a ride turned to a whtie powdered trail.

I have read many of the threads on coolant leaks and will have a look at it tonight. Just wondering where to start? Pull the tank or the right side dogbowl? I hoping its a hose clamp that is easily accessed. Have read about about some jobs being a simple clamp tightening an some being a total pain in the a$$.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-19-2018, 02:31 PM   #2

Check the hoses atop the cylinder heads.

May be loose, or the tubes may be rusted.

That's where I would start.
VBA 936

Old 07-19-2018, 06:49 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Heck I had that when I got mine back from the dealership after they'd done a full service, and I was not happy. They found a loose clamp under the tank I believe. They said nothing was apparent, well, except for a bit of coolant next to the base of the cylinder. They tightened all and it quit leaking.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:23 AM   #4

I had the same issue, found a loose clamp top of head. lifted the tank up at the seat, i dont think i had to take it completely off...

Old 07-20-2018, 10:35 AM   #5

If you put the Vulcan Engine together carefully, and get things torqued down correctly, the gaskets won't leak. I've had more trouble putting on the clutch cover gasket, especially at the front around the big gear.....however, these thing have a ton of hoses on top, both coolant and oil.
And I've always noticed after doing a complete hose change on these things, especially if they've never been changed, if your not careful, you'll leave behind a very slight rough patch of old hose behind....and this can cause leaks.
I always clean my hose pipes down with some emery paper, then wipe down with a cleaned, very lightly oiled rag. This helps the hose slide on, and years later, will allow the hose to slide off when you take the hose clamp loose....
I absolutely hate it when a radiator hose grows to the waterpump housing or the radiator/thermostat housing spigots....

On the early model Nomads/Vulcans, today, you have to pay alot of attention to the metal pipes, housings, and the reservoir under the right hand side cover. These items are starting to get old....several 99s thru 2002s I've worked on after a thorough cleaning and flushing, have have the pipes ate up from not keeping on top of the cooling system maintenance.
I've just had to replace my reservoir recently because of minute stress cracks from just old age and heat...

Alum. doesn't like water, alum. will tolerate water and coolant to a certain extent, too long and your cooling system will suffer. And will have to flush out correctly to get all the corrosion off the internal alum. surfaces....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by DragonLady58; 07-20-2018 at 10:50 AM.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:20 PM   #6

Removed tank. Was loose hose clamp on right side of rear cylinder. Most of coolant was burned into white powder from riding but there was a small amount of liquid at base of the hose. Tightened it and checked all the others while i was in there. No visible coolant this morning after it sat in the garage.