Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-07-2017, 06:57 PM   #1

1500 engine swap compatibility?!

Anyone know what engines are compitable with the older bikes? I have a 1996 vulcan 1500 classic, which is the vn1500d. 4 speed and carbs. Also has a blown connecting rod :(
Im perfectly capable to rebuild it but would prefer not to and i found an 03 meanstreak 1500 engine local to me for $300. I would love to grab this if i could make it work, i can modify the heads to use my carbs, or just swap my heads over, or maybe get the fi system ecu and wore harness. Can i make this work? Will i have an issue with the flywheel pick up pionts?
Thanks in advance!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-07-2017, 07:14 PM   #2

Hi @Sparkee09 Wecome to the forum
This has been discussed on another forum ! & if memory serves me right it's a NO NO Don't think it will go in the frame without a LOT of CHOPING about !!
Don't get me wrong I may be wrong & someone with more knowledge will be along to put me/us right , LOL

Steve

Old 11-07-2017, 07:55 PM   #3

It won’t fit in an A model.

It’s been done in a classic.

Do a search for NoClassEak.

Guy Mobley did it for the original owner of SCP.

http://accelerate.presspublisher.us/...cle/noclasseak
VBA 936

Last edited by MAS Tequila; 11-07-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkee09 View Post
Anyone know what engines are compitable with the older bikes? I have a 1996 vulcan 1500 classic, which is the vn1500d. 4 speed and carbs. Also has a blown connecting rod :(
Im perfectly capable to rebuild it but would prefer not to and i found an 03 meanstreak 1500 engine local to me for $300. I would love to grab this if i could make it work, i can modify the heads to use my carbs, or just swap my heads over, or maybe get the fi system ecu and wore harness. Can i make this work? Will i have an issue with the flywheel pick up pionts?
Thanks in advance!
If you decide not to tackle it would you mind letting me know where that $300 meanie motor is? I know it will fit my bike . Shameless I know but I had to ask

"Ride hard or stay home" Joe Robinson aka Old Dog, R.I.P

Old 11-15-2017, 02:10 AM   #5

Sorry its been a while but a little update. Went and bought the engine tonight and scored! Everything looked to be in good shape other then the wreck. We first agreed to the 300 price over a week ago now. Today he forgot the price and told me $250. oooh. Haha but i told him i already agreed to 300, well when i got there he said he was so surlrised by my honesty that hed rather give me everything else rather then waste his time selling it. So for 300 i got the whole engine, drive shaft, entire wire harness, air filter, throttle bodies and fuel injectors, ecu, all the elctronics basically everything. He even threw in the tank cuz it had the fuel pump and was banged up anyway.. So now that i have everything lol. What would be my challange to swap to fuel injection? Just fitting the fuel pump to my tank? :/ or is it even worth it? Ive read somewhere that “supposedly” a properly set up carb on a fi engine makes more torque? Or is that just a myth?

If i can figure out how to upload pictures ill update as i go

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Tags
1500, classic, engine swap, meanstreak, vulcan