Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-22-2017, 08:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMikey View Post
Can you roll it with a bike on? I was always going to get one but put it off because of the space it takes up, but if you can move it with the bike on I might still. Now my back seems to be saying "get it".......Mike
**EDIT**
Just wondering something else, after reading the instructions that say "not to ride the bike onto the lift" How do you get it up there? No way I'd be able to push a near 1Klb bike up what looks to be a fairly steep ramp. If you drive it up, you'd need a platform for your feet to steady it would you not? Once you get off the bike, presuming you did drive it up, how do you stabilize it in order to lock the front wheel vertical? Am I reading too much into this?.................M
I rode it on there's no way in hell I can push my bike up on it...getting off is tricky, get off and balance the bike with 1 hand. Obviously going to have to come up with a better plan than that.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Highway pegs
Hard bags with rear trunk
Accent LED'S
Baron Air Cleaner
Sony MP3 Player
Infinity6x9

2004 Vulcan 2000 (sold)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-22-2017, 08:55 AM   #17

Thanks Jayjay, I figured as much.
I looked at a few posts on different sites. Some people went with a flip up front wheel lock and it seemed more went with a couple of wings on each side. To me, that makes more sense as you can put your sidestand down if you just want it up to do cleaning or such............Mike

Old 03-23-2017, 09:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMikey View Post
Thanks Jayjay, I figured as much.
I looked at a few posts on different sites. Some people went with a flip up front wheel lock and it seemed more went with a couple of wings on each side. To me, that makes more sense as you can put your sidestand down if you just want it up to do cleaning or such............Mike
I'd be curious to know if welding a plate on the side so you could put your kickstand down and safely get off your bike would be possible?

Highway pegs
Accent LED'S
Baron Air Cleaner
Sony MP3 Player
Infinity6x9

2004 Vulcan 2000 (sold)

Old 03-23-2017, 01:46 PM   #19

Quote:
I'd be curious to know if welding a plate on the side so you could put your kickstand down and safely get off your bike would be possible?
Don't see why not. I think I'd want some kind of strap either over the bike or even thru the wheel to steady it if I was going to do anything.
Only problem being, say you want to remove the rear tire for example, for that you'd need the bike vertical so you would have to lift it up straight. You'd have to have a center jack and hope the bike would pick up straight as you jack it up.
The more I think about it, the better solution would be a front ride on clamp (not sure of the proper name) and removable wings on either side...........Mike

Old 03-24-2017, 03:55 AM   #20

nonononononoooooooo, don't use a side stand when your bike is on the lift....that is seriously inviting trouble. Been There, SEEN THAT! I've seen several come off a lift from some big burly dude turning the forks and the sidestand just slid on that slick metal....
My lift has outriggers that bolt to the sides, so you can put your feet down. These also allow the mechanic a place to set tools and parts while working on the bike. For those that don't have the add-on sides, just make some woodenstands, so when you ride your bike up on it, you can still put your feet down to support the bike.
I have the self actuating chocks that the front tire sits in. When you need to get the bike outta the chock, put both feet down, firmly yank back on the bars, chock will disengage....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by DragonLady58; 03-24-2017 at 03:59 AM.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:07 AM   #21

Years ago I worked in a little bike shop and the old guy (he was old then) who owned it told me again and again to never ride a bike onto a lift table, but always push it.

A couple of quick steps and the bike will roll right up over the ramp, and I stay on the same side as the wheel clamp, I just hold the bars with one hand and tighten the clamp with the other.

I'm not saying it's the only right way to do it, but it worked for Frank for years and for me for years since.

I haven't dropped one yet.

But like DL says, NEVER lean the bike on the sidestand while on the lift, unless you want to practice picking it up.

MT
VBA 936

Old 03-24-2017, 06:15 AM   #22

Quote:
I have the self actuating chocks that the front tire sits in. When you need to get the bike outta the chock, put both feet down, firmly yank back on the bars, chock will disengage....
That's what I was trying to describe.
Quote:
I've seen several come off a lift from some big burly dude turning the forks and the sidestand just slid on that slick metal....
Good call, never even thought of that. Saying that, and not so I can use the side stand, wonder if a piece of heavy rubber or conveyor belting would be a usefull addition to cover the top so your feet don't slip. Or am I over analyzing this?
Quote:
A couple of quick steps and the bike will roll right up over the ramp, and I stay on the same side as the wheel clamp, I just hold the bars with one hand and tighten the clamp with the other.
Ehhhhh, still seems chancy, you'd just have to lean a bit too much and you'd be screwed..............Mike

Old 03-24-2017, 09:37 AM   #23
Sr. Contributor

My bike mechanic (now retired) always pushed the bikes up onto the stand.
He used to Drag Race and then became Crew Chief for another darg racer,
traveled all over the place. He once told me to never ride onto a lift.
Good advice I believe. Peace
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 03-24-2017, 10:14 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
nonononononoooooooo, don't use a side stand when your bike is on the lift....that is seriously inviting trouble. Been There, SEEN THAT! I've seen several come off a lift from some big burly dude turning the forks and the sidestand just slid on that slick metal....
My lift has outriggers that bolt to the sides, so you can put your feet down. These also allow the mechanic a place to set tools and parts while working on the bike. For those that don't have the add-on sides, just make some woodenstands, so when you ride your bike up on it, you can still put your feet down to support the bike.
What I meant to say was when getting off the bike to be able to put the side stand down, no I totally agree I would never put the bike up on the side stand it would fall over before making it to the top.

Highway pegs
Accent LED'S
Baron Air Cleaner
Sony MP3 Player
Infinity6x9

2004 Vulcan 2000 (sold)

Old 03-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #25

MAS is correct, and so are the others, I just use the power to get the bike up on the lift (just past the ramp), then I push the bike into the wheel chock.
If I need to pull the front wheel, I use a scissor jack to lift the frame in the front, then I can disengage the wheel chock and slide it out of the way....
I have 3 bolts holding my chock on. I just undo these and slide outta the way....
Once front wheel is reinstalled, I reinstall the chock.
I use a hoop chock if I have to have the bike sitting level, a locking chock for most other repairs....

Even if the lift is all the way down on the ground, its still best not to use the side stand. Usually a lift while all the way down, the lift deck is still 4 to 6" off the floor. If you have the bike slide off its side stand, or if you loose your footing, bike will still fall and you'll mess some stuff up, if not hurting yourself severely too in the process....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 03-24-2017 at 03:38 PM.