Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-10-2017, 10:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Switch back to unleaded regular, and see if it cures it. Probably will. if it doesn't, get back with that. Chances are its not a backfire, but ignition of some unburned vaper in the pipes. The spitback thru the intake isn't right.
Sounds like your carb is running a little rich, possibly dirty. Do you start it all the time with the choke engaged? Whens the last time you've done a tuneup? Did this just start after switching fuels?
To spit back thru the intake a spark has to occur when the intake valve is open. Carbon hot spots can also cause this. Does the engine run any hotter than normal, to where you feel a difference?
Nice looking bike! Love It!

What he said also! Check your exhaust clamps, make sure they're tight. Check also that you have a good exhaust seal at the head/pipe joint....

Awesome, Dragonlady!! I'm still using Unleaded, but this gas is Ethanol-free. And yes I do choke it up every start!! AND . . . described the blow back sound IDENTICAL to ur description!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-10-2017, 10:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanscott View Post
On A Lighter Note ! Beautiful Nomad ! Thumbs Up ! All the answers above are spot on check the VH pipes as those are known problems .Back to regular fuel forthe burp on shut down is unburned fuel in the hot pipe chambers . Popback on accel is usealy lean condition can be carb boot loose or other vacumn leak or dirty carb or jets etc. Best cure for it is open up the intake add coasters and clean and rejet the carb for Your new breather . Followingt Your post to see what You Find . V Scott

Not V&H pipes, they are Bub pipesł.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
You can't imagine all the folks i've dealt with that absolutely hate ethanol fuel. Many have traded their bikes for FI bikes, cause FI's can digest the mess correctly and are tuned to use it.
As I said, not all bikes are the same, specs are diff. here and there, just enough they have diff. personalities. My 1500 likes reg. laced with octane booster. My 1600 will only run on Premium. She will raise 15 diff. kinds of hell when I'm stuck with reg unleaded, so I add fuel additives. They are just tools to me. A means to a end, till I can get to another fuel station that has premium. Every bike is different.
Carbs aren't designed for it unless they have the special coatings that protect the alum. from the water in the ethanol. Fuel being pressurized helps....but not enough.
I can't stress enough that folks with carbs run the good ethanol fuel treatments. Its up to you, though, your the owners and you have to decide....our place here is to give you enough info so you can make a informed decision....
One thing, on a carbed bike, don't ever let untreated ethanol fuel sit in your bike over the winter storage months without using stabil fuel stabilizer, or something that will keep your fuel fresh. Ethanol can go bad in as little 4 to 6 weeks, if not treated. Diff blends from diff fuel co's are diff.
Anyone thats experienced ethanol seperation knows what I'm talking about. It can and will ruin your carbs if you roll the dice and loose....