Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-01-2016, 06:46 PM   #196

Anybody done this on a Vaquero?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-20-2017, 11:47 PM   #197

MAS IS DA MAN! Well, as I have a complete frame/frontend I'm working on to build a bonafide trike, I had picked up a almost new/very slightly used 21"x 3.5, 5 blade rim with tire from a salvage yard in Daytona Beach for $150. The 1500 Rear wheel bearings fit! Rotors look like they're too big on the OD for the 1500 calipers, but they can be turned down. Axle fits. Came off a 2010 Street Glide.
The rim has the stock 1500 axle thru it, no spacers yet, its just sitting there, going thru the lower legs....
Am going to fit some adjustable parallels on either side, and slide the calipers into place over the rotors, blue up the caliper mounts and scribe the lines and measure them to be sure.
I will then make a couple of chicken cuts (on caliper mounts) to get close, then double check....dummy everything up again....and recheck.
Everything looks close though....
Wish my turbo setup was this easy....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 01-20-2017 at 11:59 PM.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:54 AM   #198

So in order to adapt the 1500 front wheel 20 mm axle to take the HD wheel which used a 25 mm axle you install a bearing for the rear wheel of a 1500. Correct?
I beleave MAS said a 1500 rotor is 280 MM which is 20 mm less than the HD rotor. Your solution of shaving the 300mm rotor seems like the only solution unless the caliper mounts were cut way back and some offset brackets could be installed.
Great that your walking us thru this Dragonlady! Now the 1500 owners will have a DYI guide to go by. If we could get a Vaquero owner to post a 'how to' we could combine the three bike posts into one and maybe have a one page sticky.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Old 01-21-2017, 12:35 PM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Bill View Post
So in order to adapt the 1500 front wheel 20 mm axle to take the HD wheel which used a 25 mm axle you install a bearing for the rear wheel of a 1500. Correct?
I beleave MAS said a 1500 rotor is 280 MM which is 20 mm less than the HD rotor. Your solution of shaving the 300mm rotor seems like the only solution unless the caliper mounts were cut way back and some offset brackets could be installed.
Great that your walking us thru this Dragonlady! Now the 1500 owners will have a DYI guide to go by. If we could get a Vaquero owner to post a 'how to' we could combine the three bike posts into one and maybe have a one page sticky.
Thank You, Vulcan Bill for the inspiration! We need Articles like these to help us improve the bikes and keep them on the roads!
Yes, MAS was correct, the rear bearings fit. I had a extra set of AllBalls front and rear bearings in my tool box, measured them, then installed them.
Another option, if one has access to a old parts bike or a wreck, one might be able to adapt the tripletree over and use the 1600 front end.
Usually, and I said usually, MaKawa uses as many std. components between bikes, and just does changes here and there, to help save themselves tooling/mfg'ing costs. Most all parts between the 1500/1600's interchange externally except for cranks, some internal pieces, etc.
That would be alot more work and money though....
Next time I was going to the local salvage yard here, I was gonna pick one up (triple tree) and measure tube to tube to see what the fork spread difference is between the 1500 &1600, if any, bearings, steering stem length, etc.
Thanks agian Vulcan Bill for the inspiration, and your info to help us....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 01-21-2017 at 12:41 PM.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:15 PM   #200

What I'm thinking about might take your idea to a different level.

I've been wanting to put a 1500 Meanie front end on the Nomad for a while now.

The forks are either the same diameter or within a mm.

The 1500 has the 3 piston front brakes and larger rotors, and the inverted forks from the squids.

It also uses the same wheel and axle set up as the 1600.

The handling and stopping is so much better that My Nomad sits more than my Meanie.

But the Meanie is transforming into a cross between it and a Nomad.

Just thinking out loud.

MT
VBA 936

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-21-2017, 09:39 PM   #201
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Thank You, Vulcan Bill for the inspiration! We need Articles like these to help us improve the bikes and keep them on the roads!
Yes, MAS was correct, the rear bearings fit. I had a extra set of AllBalls front and rear bearings in my tool box, measured them, then installed them.
Another option, if one has access to a old parts bike or a wreck, one might be able to adapt the tripletree over and use the 1600 front end.
Usually, and I said usually, MaKawa uses as many std. components between bikes, and just does changes here and there, to help save themselves tooling/mfg'ing costs. Most all parts between the 1500/1600's interchange externally except for cranks, some internal pieces, etc.
That would be alot more work and money though....
Next time I was going to the local salvage yard here, I was gonna pick one up (triple tree) and measure tube to tube to see what the fork spread difference is between the 1500 &1600, if any, bearings, steering stem length, etc.
Thanks agian Vulcan Bill for the inspiration, and your info to help us....
I had a different post about a HD wheel on a 1500 mad and was under the impression it would bolt on other than machining the caliper mounting pad, is this incorrect?

Old 01-21-2017, 10:07 PM   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
I had a different post about a HD wheel on a 1500 mad and was under the impression it would bolt on other than machining the caliper mounting pad, is this incorrect?
It is a bolt on other than the spacers and caliper pads on the front forks, as Vulcan Bill walked us thru on the 1600.
Like I said, it looks really close on my 2002 FI bike (Nomad) that I'm using on this other project (trike).
I'm only using the front end to mock the spacers and the calipers....
The alignment of the calipers is crucial to have it to float and take the pads all the way down without bottoming out on one side or another.
Just sliding it over the harley discs, with new pads on, piston all the way in, the caliper looks like its just between 1/16 and 1/8 off, which is not much.
I'm gonna skim it .045 on a mill, then clamp the caliper to the rotor from the piston side, scribe my line, the cut to the line.
Since I know the overall thickness of the boss, the final cut when it fits, all I have to do is subtract to 2 numbers....and that will be how much one needs to take off the mounting pads on the forks.

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 01-21-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #203

Alright! Found a local seller and I now have my wheel! Can't wait to get this project going. Have a few small items to procure, but I got the wheel!
VBA#2803

"It takes all types to make up this world and not one of them is missing."

Old 04-26-2017, 10:51 AM   #204

So, does anyone have more options for the spacers? It will take a while before I can tear down the front end so I have a bit of time to procure the spacers.
VBA#2803

Old 04-26-2017, 11:16 AM   #205

Nope, haven't cut the spacers yet, they're still in the top of my tool box....
I'm working on my :
1. RoadGlide fairing
2. Finishing my turbo setup for my 1500 trike
3. Getting ready to move to Seattle....

Once I get my Roadglide fairing done, will put it on my bike, then I will transplant the front wheel....
I added some gauges to the fairing....boost pressure, intake temp., fuel/air ratio, tach,besides my std. oil press., coolant temp., and voltage....and a bunch new toggle switches for various functions....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 04-26-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:46 PM   #206

Got my hands on this one for $50 yesterday. It had ABS so will require wheel bearing changes. Should I get wheel bearings for the 2013 street glide or for my 08 Nomad?

IS DSHelly still making spacers? I should send a PM. Otherwise I will get mine shortened.

Last edited by thebierguy; 07-11-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:27 PM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebierguy View Post

Got my hands on this one for $50 yesterday. It had ABS so will require wheel bearing changes. Should I get wheel bearings for the 2013 street glide or for my 08 Nomad?

IS DSHelly still making spacers? I should send a PM. Otherwise I will get mine shortened.
I am still hopeful that he may be able to once again make the spacers, but I'll soon look into other options. My mod is a slow build up...
VBA#2803

Old 07-30-2017, 10:58 PM   #208

I think I may look into either a new set of oem spacers or some tapered ones off of eBay and have them machined down to the the proper size. Dshelley might be my machine guy for everything if he is available when I'm ready. That will require getting some new progressive springs for the reassemble. This mod bug is good/bad, lol!
VBA#2803

Old 07-31-2017, 08:20 AM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balquin View Post
I think I may look into either a new set of oem spacers or some tapered ones off of eBay and have them machined down to the the proper size. Dshelley might be my machine guy for everything if he is available when I'm ready. That will require getting some new progressive springs for the reassemble. This mod bug is good/bad, lol!
I'm not sure he's making them anymore per the PM I had with him. Not enough interest in them. Maybe if there is enough interest again he would.
Rest is stock (Currently)

Old 07-31-2017, 11:05 AM   #210

Wow, great job on getting the tire/rim/rotors so cheap! I cant find anything other than what's on eBay. I contacted Dshelley a few weeks ago about making the spacers and got a big fat no.