Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-06-2017, 10:47 PM   #1

Air filter

Hi. I am a new owner (2007 Vulcan 1600 nomad) and was checking out my bike. I removed the air filter cover and there wasn't any filter! Is there some aftermarket item I need to look for, or should I just get a filter? And do I get the round filter or the other one? (kinda squished looking filter)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-06-2017, 10:53 PM   #2

There is only a filter on the left side as seated, under the chrome cover. The right side is just a open area that allows the air into the throttle body and hold the cold air solenoids. The filter is a D shape one. There is some intake modes or upgrades you can do.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 01-07-2017, 05:19 AM   #3

Yea, ma kawa did the rightside empty thing with sensors and solenoids, a crossover tube connecting to the left side air cleaner....mostly to kill intake noise and to create the right amount of intake restiction for emissions....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 01-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #4
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleay View Post
Hi. I am a new owner (2007 Vulcan 1600 nomad) and was checking out my bike. I removed the air filter cover and there wasn't any filter! Is there some aftermarket item I need to look for, or should I just get a filter? And do I get the round filter or the other one? (kinda squished looking filter)

Which cover did you remove, left or right as you sit on the bike ?
Does your bike have an aftermarket intake with a filter on the rear brake side (right side) ? If so this is the only filter you need. The left side can be left without the stock filter (kinda squished looking filter).

You only need one filter or the other, not both.

The aftermarket intake kits usually have a reusable air filter that can be washed and re oiled (K&N). A K&N kit can be bought for this purpose.

https://www.amazon.ca/Filters-99-505...n+cleaning+kit

Old 01-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #5

thanks everyone. no, no aftermarket filter. and it was the brake side cover i removed

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-09-2017, 10:35 AM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
If you removed the right side cover, you didn't remove the air filter cover. The air filter is on the left side. Read the owners manual and get familiar with the bike.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-09-2017, 11:00 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
thanks everyone. no, no aftermarket filter. and it was the brake side cover i removed
Same thing happened to me when I bought my gently used 07. I removed the right side cover because I've had several Harleys and thought "WTF?" I read the owners manual, saw that the air filter was on the left side and realized what a completely brain dead design the stock intake is.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
Same thing happened to me when I bought my gently used 07. I removed the right side cover because I've had several Harleys and thought "WTF?" I read the owners manual, saw that the air filter was on the left side and realized what a completely brain dead design the stock intake is.
+1 on that. All that crap just to install a cold weather high idle circuit. What we're they thinking.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Old 01-11-2017, 01:50 AM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Bill View Post
+1 on that. All that crap just to install a cold weather high idle circuit. What we're they thinking.
So there was a reason. I just thought it was some idiotic Japanese engineer trying to figure out how to make an intake inefficient as possible with 3 90 degree turns before the air enters the throttle bodies. :)

Old 01-11-2017, 10:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
So there was a reason. I just thought it was some idiotic Japanese engineer trying to figure out how to make an intake inefficient as possible with 3 90 degree turns before the air enters the throttle bodies. :)
It is true that if one compares with an air intake on an sport bike : almost vertical direct with a large air box. The engineer had to put his children to draw the air duct of the 1500-1600

Old 01-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #11

Glad I wasn't the only one! lol. I did look at the manual, but it was mainly a glance. I "knowingly" open the right side expecting to find the filter.
Live and learn. Thanks for the responses.