Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-21-2016, 03:52 AM   #1

Judges washers.problem.

I just fitted Judges washers to my 1500.I had a bit of clutch slip before,now its a lot worse,almost un rideable.Anyone got any suggestions.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-21-2016, 05:02 AM   #2

A little more information is required.

What else did you do while in there?

If I had to guess, I would start with did you use grease to hold the 3 limiter springs together and were they in the correct ()( layout?

There are many ways to bugger up this very simple installation.

MT

http://vulcangadgets.com/files/clutc...placement.html
VBA 936

Last edited by MAS Tequila; 07-21-2016 at 05:05 AM.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:22 AM   #3

Thanks for the swift reply mate.I did it by the book,greased up the 3 washers and it felt right as i put the diaphram back on.The only thing that i might have got wrong was replacing the rod,there is a small bearing and a washer on it.I placed the bearing against the flanged head of the rod,then the washer.I did wonder if that was the right way around.The Judges washer with the larger hole doesnt fit snuggly against the groove/reccess in the diaphram though,the outer diameter of the washer is smaller than the groove/reccess. Also the clutch plates are almost flat/worn out.I have ordered some new ones,and will be be fitting them next week.

Last edited by mick56; 07-21-2016 at 06:33 AM.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
Advanced Member

when installing Judges washers, and looking at them as from the motor on the left/outside cover on the right, do they go )() -or- ()( ?

Old 07-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by degreaser View Post
when installing Judges washers, and looking at them as from the motor on the left/outside cover on the right, do they go )() -or- ()( ?

The larger I.D. washer is installed on the “holder” BEFORE the spring is installed.
NOW install the spring against the washer. The washer will carry the load and the wear. The smaller I.D. washer is installed on the lower half of the “holder” BEFORE the 3 limiter springs are installed. Now install the 3 limiter springs.
Use a “sticky” grease to “glue” ALL parts together during the install, or they WILL fall off of the “holder” and be damaged while tightening the 27mm nut!! Do not use “magic” or “special” grease. It must be able to melt away as the oil heats up!
The assembly MUST LOOK LIKE THIS when installedon the holder ( from engine side out)
Engine] > < > I ) * I
3 limiter springs small ID washer Clutch spring Lrg. ID washer

I fitted them as above,which is your first option,and the opposite of what MAS said ? I find the whole thing above confusing. Churchill said,"we are two nations,divided by a comman language".And he was right.The 3 limiter springs are convcex & concave washers,the spring is a diaphram.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by mick56; 07-21-2016 at 11:04 AM.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:58 AM   #6

I checked to make sure when I put my washers in and the Kaw. shop said the single bowed goes toward the engine and the other two go together )(( in this order. I havent had any problem when I installed them like that.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostnavigator View Post
I checked to make sure when I put my washers in and the Kaw. shop said the single bowed goes toward the engine and the other two go together )(( in this order. I havent had any problem when I installed them like that.

See what i mean about confusion,who is right ?

Old 07-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #8

It does not matter which direction you start with AS LONG AS THEY ALTERNATE.

()( or )() either will function perfectly.

Mick, did you replace the spring?

Did you put the last fiber in out of sequence?

MT
VBA 936

Old 07-21-2016, 02:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila View Post
It does not matter which direction you start with AS LONG AS THEY ALTERNATE.

()( or )() either will function perfectly.

Mick, did you replace the spring?

Did you put the last fiber in out of sequence?

MT
Thanks for clearing that up mate.i could'nt see how matey having 2 going the same way was going to be any use.No i didnt replace the spring,it was new 20,000 miles ago,when i had new plates put in,and they are all Meanstreak spec now.I took 3 plates off together to inspect them,meaning 2 fibre's and one steel,then put them back on without even seperating them.I may have flipped them over so the one on the outside is now on the inside.but they are all still in fibre/steel order as they were.Is the last one any different from the rest ?Can you confirm how the bearing sits on the shaft,should the washer go on first,or the bearing.Thanks mate.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:09 PM   #10

http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/k...478e66e/clutch

Have a look at this.

MT
VBA 936

Old 07-22-2016, 09:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila View Post
Thats a confusing way of showing the sequence of assembly.I put the bearing, 92046,and then the washer 92022,on the shaft of that pin 13116,i dont see how it would stay on the head of it,as shown in that picture,whats to hold it on ?

Old 07-29-2016, 06:54 AM   #12
Advanced Member

when I changed the clutch spring on my 2004 1500 classic, I put in a spring for a 2002-2003 meanstreak,, at the time I did it some were installing the Gorilla spring, if my memory is correct, on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being a soft spring and 10 being a hard spring, the 2004 1500 classic OEM spring is a 3, 2002-2003 Meanstreak 1500 OEM spring is a 4, and a Gorilla (I hope the name is right) is a 6 , I didn't install the Gorilla cause some commented the clutch level pull is a little tougher

Old 07-30-2016, 12:27 PM   #13

I fitted the new clutch,along with the Judges washers today.I ignored the confusing instuctions on Gadgets page,and did what i think is right.It works great.