Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-02-2016, 12:13 PM   #1

Pissed HELP!.. I'm begining to think my amp.'s a tramp!

It seems my Clarion xc 1410 just blew my second pair of 2 ohm Kicker PS5250 ~ 5 1/4" speakers. This amp is supposed to be both 2 and or 4 ohm compatible. Obviously something's not right hear but I think it's the amp., just not sure yet. The stock 4 ohm speakers worked fine for several months after installing this amp in my 2013 Vaq., but like so many other folks I was looking to improve the sound 'quality' and installed the Kickers which did sound much better and worked fine for a while then ... within a few weeks of riding the left blew 3 times and the right once and each one at a different time. Each time after replacing them they would work fine for an hour or so then bye bye. After the first 2 ohm Kicker blew, I put a stock 4 ohm speaker back in to see if it would work which it did for a couple of weeks, so I thought it must have a bad Kicker so I went ahead and put in another new Kicker which again worked fine for a few hours then it became a door stop. Tried the process again (which I've been told is the definition of insanity ), same thing happened. This all leaves me to believe it's time to replace the amp before trying another pair of speakers (duh!). Any thoughts or advise or, new amp recommendations would be appreciated thanks. Cheers

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-02-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
Advanced Member

You are probably using the stock deck right? And the high level connector (speaker wires) as opposed to RCA (low level).

Distortion/peaking (red line) is usually what causes speakers to blow. You are using the OEM deck and high level which gives you garbage in garbage out to begin with. Turn down the gains on the amp, turn on the low pass filter (cross over) on the amp and don't turn the OEM deck up to the point where you hear distortion (clipping) you can try to turn the gain on the amp up but you have blown 3 speakers already I think you can't hear the distortion or clipping hence blowing continuously.

I changed my deck and added amp with Kicker 2 ohm speaker up front and Polk 4 ohm in back since I can't hear them driving anyhow. It is LOUD to the point motorists at stop lights turn up their window but I know when it is too loud and going to blow something.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
You are probably using the stock deck right? And the high level connector (speaker wires) as opposed to RCA (low level).

Distortion/peaking (red line) is usually what causes speakers to blow. You are using the OEM deck and high level which gives you garbage in garbage out to begin with. Turn down the gains on the amp, turn on the low pass filter (cross over) on the amp and don't turn the OEM deck up to the point where you hear distortion (clipping) you can try to turn the gain on the amp up but you have blown 3 speakers already I think you can't hear the distortion or clipping hence blowing continuously.

I changed my deck and added amp with Kicker 2 ohm speaker up front and Polk 4 ohm in back since I can't hear them driving anyhow. It is LOUD to the point motorists at stop lights turn up their window but I know when it is too loud and going to blow something.
Is the a mount kit that allows the deck to be changed or did you custom make something? Also were you able to keep your handlebar controls? Thanks joe

Old 06-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Its a standard DIN deck but you will have to make a face plate.
I kept my controls. Do a search but here is one (there is 2 different units you can use I found both) and already discussed.
http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=42624

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmighty View Post
Is the a mount kit that allows the deck to be changed or did you custom make something? Also were you able to keep your handlebar controls? Thanks joe

Last edited by Lumberjack; 06-02-2016 at 03:55 PM.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Its a standard DIN deck but you will have to make a face plate.
I kept my controls. Do a search but here is one (there is 2 different units you can use I found both) and already discussed.
http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=42624
thank you. I did a search but didn't see that thread.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-02-2016, 07:36 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Decided to create a full new thread

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=44138

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmighty View Post
thank you. I did a search but didn't see that thread.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #7

Quote:

*** Thanks Lumberjack, and your right I'm using the stock deck with the high level connections. This Clarion amp doesn't have a gain control but does have a sensitivity switch which is set to high as opposed to low, as recommended by Clarion when using the high level conn. The low pass filter was set on 90Hz for the first pair that blew and changed to 60Hz for the second set at which time I pulled the fairing off and checked all connections, settings and ground. I have never had the volume turned past 12 with the Kickers but have had the stock speakers up to 14 and they never were damaged. This is about as clear as mud to me.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #8

You need to come to the light, Rick!! Those 5-1/4's, no matter the brand, just don't have the real estate that the 6-1/2's do. The 6-1/2's have about 77% more surface area!!

If you switch out to an aftermarket stereo I make a faceplate adapter that allows you to mount the unit! You can even drill through to install a USB port next to the stereo if you chose to do so.

Last edited by OhioVoyager; 06-06-2016 at 10:56 AM.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #9

*** Thanks Randy, they look great. I'm on 'em like a hungry dog on T-bone! Fire up the printer, PM sent. Shutting down 'door stop' production.... Also, in another thread someone mentioned that the AVC adjustment on the OEM stock head unit could present issues with after market amp.s (going to turn that down to 1 or off). Still got to check the possible amp. (low pass filter setting and not having a gain control setting options) issue, and 'rewire and switch' the 2 channels that are supplying the 2 speakers being used. Really looking forward to getting this all sorted out and your adapters w/ 6.5's up and running and rocking. Still deciding on which speakers, would still like to get the most and best/accurate bass and all around cleanest sound. I don't have much experience with this stuff...and getting some is not cheap. Cheers

Old 06-06-2016, 02:05 PM   #10

I have the same amp on my 2012 Voyager, had it for 2 1/2 years. The only speaker issues I've had were with a set of 6 1/2" Pioneers. They sounded better than any others I've had, but after a few days, the left would start distorting even at low volumes. I believe the weather has something to do with it since they not marine grade and I dont have a garage. I have my AVC set to 4 and usually have volume between 7-9. I recently set my filter to 60hz from 90hz. I am currently using 5 1/4" pioneers that I bought for an S10 I had 8 years ago from Walmart, but do want to go back to the 6 1/2"-6 3/4" speakers. Short of 6x9 speakers, you are unlikely to evver get much bass from the system.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick6375 View Post
I have the same amp on my 2012 Voyager, had it for 2 1/2 years. The only speaker issues I've had were with a set of 6 1/2" Pioneers. They sounded better than any others I've had, but after a few days, the left would start distorting even at low volumes. I believe the weather has something to do with it since they not marine grade and I dont have a garage. I have my AVC set to 4 and usually have volume between 7-9. I recently set my filter to 60hz from 90hz. I am currently using 5 1/4" pioneers that I bought for an S10 I had 8 years ago from Walmart, but do want to go back to the 6 1/2"-6 3/4" speakers. Short of 6x9 speakers, you are unlikely to evver get much bass from the system.
*** thanks for the info. rick 6375 glad to hear the amps holding up, as for the hunt for more/any bass...I've been reading lots of reviews on line from folks who have purchased the same speakers but have different opinions as to weather or not they deliver descent mid or deep bass, but maybe/probably due to different amps, head units, settings and listening enviroments most of which were cars, trucks and boats. It also seems to be similar with folks on this and the other forums who seem to have mixed reviews but no speaker in particular seems to be the overwhelming favorite, but all who have gone to the 6.5's seem to agree it's a significant improvement from the 5.25's . And the search continues. Cheers.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:00 PM   #12

Correction and update onmine that may help you. I was wrong in the 90-60hz change. Thought this was the switch I changed but it was the lo/hi input swithch, hi in gets you 50watts output, lo in gets you 75 watts out. I now have 75watts out put. I also ent back to stock speakers agian. They give up a little on the highs, but do gain the lows. Enough so I can feel my highway pegs vibrate at times setting still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-21-2016, 11:37 PM   #13

*** Thanks for the correction/update rick6375. Unless I was given the wrong info. or misunderstood the folks at Crutchfield and as/the manual...the input sensitivity switch, high vs low selection is based upon whether the low level RCA's are used vs the high level speaker outputs. I did have this set accordingly. But I've just had the amp checked/metered by the shop that I Got my new speakers from and they recommended going with 4 ohm this time because they detected a problem with my amps impedance capability to handle the 2 ohm speakers which it's supposed to, (also they didn't need any more door stops either). So...I bought a pr. of 4 ohm 6.5" Kicker Marine KM 65's and mounted them to a pr. of Randy's/Ohio Voyagers awesome adapters which work great and look slick in black on my black Vaq. with pewter~gray grills ***Thanks Randy O/V. ).*** Pictured below. So far so good...speakers still working after about 8 hr.s of use, they sound good but I'm still messing with setting the bass, mid and treble trying to dial it all in, also I have the AVC @ 2. As expected not a lot of low end bass... except from my Vance & Hines , but I'm working on it. Bass @ 0, Mid @ +3, Treble @ + 1...which seems to deliver the best/clearest most defined sound and the most accurate/tightest sounding bass representation...surprisingly better than with bass set to 2 or 3, and the I pod's eq. turned off/flat. With these settings I'm finding that it seems to sounds best at about 60-70 mph. with the volume at 12, but just a little sharp/bright at lower speeds. Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 038.jpg (94.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 035.jpg (92.8 KB, 22 views)

Old 06-27-2016, 12:17 AM   #14

Fairly interesting post. I use the Kenwood KAC1824 BT and bridged to produce 90w at my Polk db521 marine 5.25". Blew them recently on my trip to Vegas. The speakers are rated at 45w each RMS. I should be looking for a new speaker and I need to look into this Randy adaptor you're talking about.
VBA #3372

Old 06-29-2016, 10:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geauxnow View Post
Fairly interesting post. I use the Kenwood KAC1824 BT and bridged to produce 90w at my Polk db521 marine 5.25". Blew them recently on my trip to Vegas. The speakers are rated at 45w each RMS. I should be looking for a new speaker and I need to look into this Randy adaptor you're talking about.
***Damn that really must've sucked, right in the middle of a trip...that's adding insult to injury. Lots of info. on the forum about the adapters, I'm glad I went with a set. Hope you get it all sorted out soon.Cheers