Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #1

1700 Nomad and Motorcycle Lift Question

To all 1700 Nomad owners who have a motorcycle lift. Where front to back, have you found is the best balance point for placing a lift under the bike? I just ordered a lift and will be using it soon so I thought I might as well save myself some experimentation and any possible mishaps.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-11-2016, 02:28 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Never had a 1700 but it should be easy to figure out. Put the jack in a random spot and start lifting the bike. One of 3 things will happen. The front tire will come up first, the rear tire will come up first or both will come up together. If the front comes up first, lower it and move the jack closer to the rear. If the rear comes up first, move the jack towards the front. If both are even, keep lifting. There's not that much space to jack it up. Five minutes and you'll figure it out. It ain't rocket science. :)
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 04-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #3

I locate mine as far back to the rear as I can. When I lift the bike the front tire is a little higher than the rear tire. Once I lower the lift down to the safety locking points the bike does level out. It is not that far off level to worry about though.

My pads are 17" long which works great for the wider 1700 frame. They measure 15" wide for the outside dimension which covers from front to back when lifting the bike.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 04-11-2016, 03:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hog View Post
I locate mine as far back to the rear as I can. When I lift the bike the front tire is a little higher than the rear tire. Once I lower the lift down to the safety locking points the bike does level out. It is not that far off level to worry about though.

My pads are 17" long which works great for the wider 1700 frame. They measure 15" wide for the outside dimension which covers from front to back when lifting the bike.
I may have gotten advice from you on what lift to get. The one I ordered has 17 inch long rails and there aren't many out there that do.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Never had a 1700 but it should be easy to figure out. Put the jack in a random spot and start lifting the bike. One of 3 things will happen. The front tire will come up first, the rear tire will come up first or both will come up together. If the front comes up first, lower it and move the jack closer to the rear. If the rear comes up first, move the jack towards the front. If both are even, keep lifting. There's not that much space to jack it up. Five minutes and you'll figure it out. It ain't rocket science. :)
I was just trying to go straight to step three.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #6

As far back as possible. You will be glad you got the 17" rails.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:55 PM   #7
Advanced Member

My lift goes back as far as you can go with it before the bottom frame rails start to curve up in the rear. it gets the back tire up first like the way the old center stands used to do it. You don't see too many center stands on bikes anymore.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:26 PM   #8

My Triumph Trophy has a center stand. I think you would have to be pretty strong to ever use it, I've lifted it with a chain fall and then put it on the stand. The old Harleys sometimes had center stands, and it was a struggle to put one on it, and they were probably close to a hundred pounds lighter than a Vulcan 1500. I think you don't see them much anymore because most bikes are too heavy for mere mortals to use them.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:36 PM   #9

It basically depends on whether you want the front or rear wheel off the ground, either way once the required wheel is up I slide a car hydraulic jack under the other wheel for added stability. I then just raise that jack as i raise the one under the bike. It is just to stop any possibility of a rocking type motion.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 04-15-2016, 09:13 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Smokey your idea works....I have done that before. Center stands on bikes are not that hard to use, you just have to know how to leverage them properly to make them work right. Last year I hoisted up a GL1800 Goldwing onto it's center stand for a friend and it was pretty easy. I liked them because you could spin the rear wheel for cleaning and even chain adjustments on other bikes like my Suzuki 1200 Bandit. That one had to come off when I switched over to a full Yosh exhaust though.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.