Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-19-2016, 08:36 AM   #1

Voltage on horn wire, should it be there?

I'm trying to hook up airhorn on 2007 1600 so I'm using a relay. Never had issue with my stock horn. So when I press the horn button the air horn comes on and doesn't shut off. Called manufacture they sent me new relay stating they rarely see them go bad. Same issue call the guy back and he made some trouble shooting suggestions. I used ohm meter on switch it was fine. When I checked it for voltage I found is had almost 12v.. When I pushed the horn button it would jump to 12.5 volts.. Real head scratcher. Is that voltage normal? If so I may have to install different horn button.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by lw_miles; 02-19-2016 at 08:43 AM.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:57 AM   #2

If you haven't already read this thread and see if it helps.

http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15936

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 02-19-2016, 09:28 AM   #3

Thanks Bud Man.... That's great write up. In looking at the simplified stock horn circuit it looks as though I may have a short somewhere as I get that voltage across my stock horn wires (wires completely disconnected from the horn) when the key is on and not touching the horn button at all. I took the horn switch apart yesterday (soooo glad I got it back together:). Expecting to see corrosion or something in there but nothing. I'll check the individual wires tomorrow to see if that one horn wire is indeed going to ground through the switch and perhaps I can use Scenario One in the link you provided but I'm afraid that's the wire with issue (short).

Old 02-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #4

I am not able to check a scematics right now, but if I am not mistaken, the stock horn button completes the ground and if so there will always be voltage on the Pos lead when the key is on.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 02-19-2016, 10:51 AM   #5
Advanced Member

The poster above me is correct. The hot is always hot, the horn button completes the ground.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-19-2016, 01:51 PM   #6

For my own sanity can someone please test voltage across the horn wires (NOT TO GROUND) and report if they see any voltage. From everything I learned they shouldn't. I get almost 12 volts WITHOUT HORN BUTTON BEING PRESSED. I'm not the original owner and there are some aftermarket items added and before I start tearing everything apart I just want to make sure what I'm seeing is not correct. Thanks

Old 02-19-2016, 03:42 PM   #7

Horn

It sounds like you have a short to ground in the wire that comes from the horn button to the horn. If the button completes the ground side circuit to activate the horn, somewhere that wire is getting chassis ground fed to it. Or the horn button is stuck in a closed circuit position. That would give the horn a completed positive and negative circuit anytime the ignition is "on".

Check if you have 12V from the + horn wire to chassis ground with ignition on. You should have. Then try horn + wire to the other horn wire (-). If you have 12v there also one of the above seems to be the issue. Only time you should see voltage on second test is when the button is depressed.

How many terminals on the relay? you may wiring landed incorrectly especially since you said stock horn worked OK prior to this new installation.

Good Luck on the Gremlin search.

Last edited by olefiredog; 02-19-2016 at 03:49 PM.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by olefiredog View Post
It sounds like you have a short to ground in the wire that comes from the horn button to the horn. If the button completes the ground side circuit to activate the horn, somewhere that wire is getting chassis ground fed to it. Or the horn button is stuck in a closed circuit position. That would give the horn a completed positive and negative circuit anytime the ignition is "on".

Check if you have 12V from the + horn wire to chassis ground with ignition on. You should have. Then try horn + wire to the other horn wire (-). If you have 12v there also one of the above seems to be the issue. Only time you should see voltage on second test is when the button is depressed.

How many terminals on the relay? you may wiring landed incorrectly especially since you said stock horn worked OK prior to this new installation.

Good Luck on the Gremlin search.
My thoughts are similar to yours.
I don't understand how the stock horn was working. If reinstalled does it work properly?
If you are getting current passing thru the 2 stock horns wires without the horn button
depressed you have a problem and the stock horn would be on anytime the key is on.
Perhaps the button is stuck or a short on the ground side.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 02-19-2016, 05:49 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Take the hot lead of the stock horn and attach it to pin 86.
Attach the - wire of the stock horn to the chassis.
Run pin 87 to the + side of the air horn and ground the horn - to the chassis.
Attach pin 30 and 85 as shown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Driving_light_relay_wiring_diagram.jpg (8.8 KB, 8 views)
Mustang seat and fender bib
Avon Venom tires
2 right side Harley mufflers the quiet side.
TFI fuel control
Progressive 430 shocks 430-4213B (Best Mod to the bike I've made)
Progressive fork springs (See Above)
Kuryakyn grips
A touch of chrome farkles
Reckless fairing color match 2 tone paint.
Kenwood deck with Polk 5 1/4" speakers.

2007 GSX1250
Stock for now

Old 02-19-2016, 05:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMan View Post
My thoughts are similar to yours.
I don't understand how the stock horn was working. If reinstalled does it work properly?
If you are getting current passing thru the 2 stock horns wires without the horn button
depressed you have a problem and the stock horn would be on anytime the key is on.
Perhaps the button is stuck or a short on the ground side.
Or perhaps there was no issue with the button till he took it apart and now it is stuck in the closed position.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 02-22-2016, 09:02 AM   #11

Well after another few hours of troubleshooting without ripping apart the wiring harnesses there's an issue with the wire that goes to the horn button from the horn (other 12v side functioning as it should) and it's only issue when the key is on. I've checked the switch with ohm meter and it's functioning as it should. I appreciate all the input and what I'm going to do to resolve is KISS method of putting small kill switch on the handlebar to activate the horn.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:06 AM   #12

Wonder if previous owner who added electrical accessories possibly tapped in the ground side wire from the button to the horn ? Then the wire would see a ground side circuit from another source possibly.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lw_miles View Post
Well after another few hours of troubleshooting without ripping apart the wiring harnesses there's an issue with the wire that goes to the horn button from the horn (other 12v side functioning as it should) and it's only issue when the key is on. I've checked the switch with ohm meter and it's functioning as it should. I appreciate all the input and what I'm going to do to resolve is KISS method of putting small kill switch on the handlebar to activate the horn.
That will work for a while.
I hope you don't fry the wiring harness
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 02-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #14

Smart money would run a new wire from the switch to the horn

Old 02-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #15

from what I can see here there is nothing wrong with the oem wiring.
the relay picks up a positive from the battery and powers the air horns
by completing the circuit with the horn button .you are powering the relay via the battery to power the horn and completing a negative circuit. releasing the horn button does nothing because the relay is still grounded thru the horn circuit causing it to make noise.thats why you use a relay give
the compressor more amps to operate.
Cadmad / K&N + original intact
Progresive 412HD / Front springs also
Darkside rear tire 36psi 195/55/16
Towbar/ classic trailer
Penrite HPR15 diesel oil
Led lights front and back