Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutman View Post
l'll second that. Mr. Sheek provided me with his PCV map "Best Map SO Far 8-2012" I loaded onto my 2012 Voyager that I've modified with the Chuckster's big air kit and the Cobra Tri-ovals. I Loaded the map while the bike was still warm from the commute home, then rode to the pub for takeout. The bike runs strong, with no deceleration popping. I think my mileage went up. David didn't relate any claims about mileage to me, but I think this map is going to be reasonably economical, maybe around 44-46 mpg around town. Time will tell but I think this map is a winner.

Mr. Sheek: Thank you sir!

Best regards,

Stoutman
That sounds really good, hope it continues to work out for you. You had mentioned you have the Cobras. I haven't had a chance to listen to them or the V&H's other than the experience I mentioned in the above post. Have you heard both? How do like the Cobra's? I had the V&H's on a bagger and they weren't near as load as the long shots on my 1600 classic. So, I was kind of leaning that way and with the pcv. Maybe I could get a copy of your map if your open to that? Thanks again.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #17

I'll share.

Bsharris2011:

I have not heard the V&H pipes, but I've read reports on this forum that they are louder than the Cobra tri-ovals. Also, RACNRAY has posted comparisons he ran on his dyno that show the V&H giving a bit more horsepower than the cobra pipes. I chose the Cobra because I don't like loud bikes. The Cobra tri-ovals are louder than I like but still quiet enough that I can ride in my neighborhood without getting the neighbors upset.

As a side note, this map from David Sheeks seems to keep the Cobra pipes a bit quieter except when accelerating hard.

I asked for this map because it is from a bike that is very similar to mine in the way of aftermarket equipment and elevation. That is: a big air kit, Cobra tri-ovals, and the PCV fuel and ignition module. Sheeks lives in Florida and I live in Texas at about 550 ft elevation.

If you go with the V&H pipes you may benefit from a map that was made with those pipes in mind. If you want a copy of this map send a PM to me with your e-mail address and I'll send it along. I'm sure Mr. Sheeks would do the same if asked. It is his map and he has done all the research and tweaking. I don't have any claim on it besides the fact that he sent it to me and I like it.

Best regards,

Last edited by stoutman; 09-21-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #18

Thanks for the input. As for aftermarket, I think mine will be fairly close to that. I know every bike is unique and even two bikes with the exact same setup can run differently. I am in Vegas at about 2000 feet, I think this map might be a good "base line" at the very least. My airkit from chuckster and the grips from Ray are on the way. Once I decide on the pipes and get those on with the pcv, I think that will take care of my performance mods. I do expect to "fiddle" with the map for it to be optimum, but this will definitely give me a leg up compared to a stock map. Sent you a pm. Thanks again.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:18 AM   #19
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutman View Post
Bsharris2011:

I have not heard the V&H pipes, but I've read reports on this forum that they are louder than the Cobra tri-ovals. Also, RACNRAY has posted comparisons he ran on his dyno that show the V&H giving a bit more horsepower than the cobra pipes. I chose the Cobra because I don't like loud bikes. The Cobra tri-ovals are louder than I like but still quiet enough that I can ride in my neighborhood without getting the neighbors upset.

As a side note, this map from David Sheeks seems to keep the Cobra pipes a bit quieter except when accelerating hard.

I asked for this map because it is from a bike that is very similar to mine in the way of aftermarket equipment and elevation. That is: a big air kit, Cobra tri-ovals, and the PCV fuel and ignition module. Sheeks lives in Florida and I live in Texas at about 550 ft elevation.

If you go with the V&H pipes you may benefit from a map that was made with those pipes in mind. If you want a copy of this map send a PM to me with your e-mail address and I'll send it along. I'm sure Mr. Sheeks would do the same if asked. It is his map and he has done all the research and tweaking. I don't have any claim on it besides the fact that he sent it to me and I like it.

Best regards,
I have the same set up as you and ironically I am using Element 80s map that was done at Sabin Performance in TX. David's map was a little fat for me. The Element 80 fuel map with David's ignition map slightly tweaked in the lower rpm has mike bike running like a bat out of hell. The engine runs slightly cooler at cruise as well.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat72 View Post
Bsharris2011,
The gear advance mapping has been working well. I have a Target AFR Table, Fuel Table and Ignition Table for each gear. I used the Target AFR Table DynoJet has on their maps. I copied it to each table by Gear. I have been increasing the AF ratio in 5th and 6th gear from 5-20% Throttle and 2,000 to 3,000 RPM to try to increase cruising mpg. The Autotune has been making adjustments by gear and then I choose to accept or not. The ignition table is the same for each gear. I have only one O2 sensor which I installed right after where the exhaust manifolds join. Since you have two O2 sensors you can do the above but also do for each cylinder which is what the ThunderMax does I believe. This past Saturday I went on a 350 mile ride and developed a pretty bad decel pop which I haven't had before. When I got back the Autotune was making some out of the ordinary trim adjustments. Thinking I've got an intake leak. David Sheek provided me a copy of his map (bike runs strong) and I tried it yesterday and still had the decel pop. I noticed it around 2,100 rpm and others are having the same issue. Ordered the Thunder Air gasket and hope to have it tomorrow. I started with the DynoJet map for a Nomad/Voyager with VH slip ons. I set my adjustments at 20% rich/lean and then reduced to 10% and then finally to 5%. I will be glad to provide you a copy of my map but would prefer to do so after I get the decel pop corrected and the Autotune back to making normal adjustments. If you have a copy of David's map that is a real good one to use.

Frank
What target AFR are you using? My tuner has told me he was getting the best power when he targets 13.6-13.8:1.
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-01-2015, 06:40 PM   #21

Gypsy Dragon,
My AFR ratios range from 13 to 13.7 depending on throttle position and RPM. I believe it is what Dynojet has on their maps for the 1700. Ended up not going with higher AFR's in 5th and 6th gear in cruise range to get better fuel mileage. Tried it but never really saw any change in mileage.

Frank

PCV(Fuel & Ignition) With Autotune
Gear Advance Fuel & Ignition Mapping
Cobra 4' Scalloped Tip Slip-Ons
Wrapped Exhaust Manifold
Kuryakyn ISO Grips with RacnRay Mod
Kuryakyn Bar End weights
Ultimate Mid-Rider
Polk Audio DB521 speakers
K&N Air Filter
Rear Speakers
Mirror Risers