Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 08-23-2015, 04:13 AM   #1

Crash at uk airshow

They picked a bad day to get married,the wedding limousine was totally destroyed by fire. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...m-Airshow.html

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by mick56; 08-23-2015 at 04:22 AM.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:09 AM   #2

I heard about it on the BBC radio yesterday. Why didn't the pilot roll the aircraft and crash into a field? I know everything happened very quickly but he must have realized at some point that he was F-ed.

...and he flies for British Airways...

My thoughts go out to the victims and their families.
VBA #02996

2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad

Old 08-23-2015, 08:26 AM   #3

Saw that on the news last night here. They had a couple of acrobatic experts on and they were saying that particular loop he was attempting is one of the most dangerous and I believe they also said both the snow birds and the blue angels stopped preforming it.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 08-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #4

Over extended it seems.............not enough altitude. If he had another 200 ft of altitude he might have made it. Lots of folks now pay for his mistake.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:15 AM   #5

In the article it said some reported hearing the jet stall during the loop.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #6

I can only assume that the pilot did everything he could to avoid killing people,otherwise he would have bailed out and saved his own arse.I am also led to believe that British airways pilot's have to meet some of the most stringent criteria in the aviation business to be employed there. Here is a map of the area,the yellow road to the top,adjacent to the airfield, is the one he crashed into.He finished up pretty close to Lansing colledge so he was travelling diagonally left to right i reckon.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...4e875c!6m1!1e1

Last edited by mick56; 08-23-2015 at 11:33 AM.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #7

Speaking as a retired air force crash rescue responder, it is best to leave speculation to the experts, I am sure that they will find the real cause of the accident, it could have been anything, bird strike, engine flameout, pilot error. I just hope the pilot survives as he will be critical to the investigation. It was tragic that this happened but it does happen, we hear about planes taking off and crashing into apartment buildings, but does that mean we should ban flying all together? of course not.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 08-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #8

That's the 4th crash at small airfield's/ show's here in a couple of month's,the health & safety lunatic's are allready screaming for them to be banned.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:04 PM   #9

Looking at the map of the airfield, I am surprised that A27 wasn't closed completely for such a show. It crosses near the threshold of the active runway for the show -- given the direction of the jet that crashed.

Here in the U.S. we would be required to close such a road

I worked for many years on the committee for the Southern Wisconsin Airfest; where we had repeated shows of all types of aerial acts, to include the Snowbirds, Blue Angels, and the Thunderbirds.

For all shows, the surrounding roads were closed if they were within what is referred to as the "box".

This box is just exactly that, a box covering a certain area around the airfield, as well as up to a certain altitude, where the aircraft are to perform within and all other air and vehicle traffic is not allowed. It is designed to prevent what happened at this show.

You guys in England must have more relaxed rules or something. Such a tragedy.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 08-24-2015, 04:21 PM   #10

Our little island doesnt have the space that your country has,most of the airshow's are held at historic site's,which is part of the attraction.People like to visit and see the plane's flying from the same airfield's that were used during the Battle of Britain,unfortunately these are now nearly all surrounded by post WW2 developement's.The A27 is a major road along the south coast,used by thousand's flocking to the historic coastal town's at the weekend's,and closing it is just not an option.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoreham_Airport

http://www.controltowers.co.uk/Slist.htm

http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2009...r-force-bases/

Old 08-26-2015, 10:57 PM   #11

Very sad indeed. I watched the clip several times and it appears he stretched the decent out to long before beginning to pull up but who am I to question a professional with 12,000 hours of flight time. Like Duffy said, 200 more feet of altitude and he would of made it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them