Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-18-2015, 11:59 AM   #91

Rick

Do you have to weld the brace back on after cutting it?

If so would it be possible for you to fabricate a bolt on type of modification that would allow the customer to just cut and bolt on?

You could offer that as an option to the Voyager customers.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad2010 View Post
I purchased the Luverne Kawasaki Lowering Links 3 weeks ago and installed them myself. The install wasn’t an issue other than being one thick washer short, something the local Home Depot hardware dept. was able to solve. However there was an issue with my saddle bag brackets. With the Nomad the brackets need to be sent to Rick’s shop to be modified do to the angle change of the rear shocks. The mounting holes didn’t line up as they should have and I had to use clamps and pry bars to get them where they needed to be in order to insert the mounting bolts and secure them. Definitely a concern and a bit frustrating as getting the brackets back on took longer than it should have.
Pros and Cons.
Pro: After putting over 500 mile on with the lowering links I do like the ride, handling of the bike and most importantly being able to put my feet flat on the ground when at a stop. I’ve ridden by myself, with the wife and loaded down for a trip to the beach and no problems with bottoming out or with handling.
Cons: 1) As stated above, the alignment issue with the saddlebag brackets. I did have a conversation with Rick and Mike about my trouble getting the brackets on and made some suggestions. 2) The overall cost. For me the cost was something I had to struggle with. With the Nomad not only do you have the cost of the lowering links but you also have the cost of modifying the saddlebag brackets and shipping both ways. But, after having the bike for over 3 years and dealing with the problem of not being able to sit at a stop flat footed, I opted to bite the bullet and accepted the cost.
All in all, in the long run I’m satisfied. Barring any unforeseen circumstances in the future I think I’m going to look back on this purchase as a good one. Hope this helps anyone out there that has been on the fence as to whether to take the plunge or not.
Just a quick note to clarify:
We did screw up and shorted this customer one washer. We added one washer to the kit with our redesign and forgot to add it to the kit. This has been corrected.
The mounting holes mentioned are the factory mounting holes. They are on the bag support from the factory and are unchanged with our modification. They are sometimes difficult to get lined up on a stock, unmodified support. If you have one off, be sure to start all the bolts before tightening any. The only thing modified is the front portion of the bar that actually bolts the bag to the support. No bolt holes or tabs are moved or changed.
Thanks
Rick

Old 07-20-2015, 11:56 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hog View Post
Rick

Do you have to weld the brace back on after cutting it?

If so would it be possible for you to fabricate a bolt on type of modification that would allow the customer to just cut and bolt on?

You could offer that as an option to the Voyager customers.
Unfortunately we don't have any plans at this time to make a bolt on bag support modification. In our opinion this is something that should be welded and we believe it is as easy as we can make it already. For those who don't weld, it is an EASY operation for any welding shop. Take your supports and our instructions and they'll easily complete them for you.
Any questions, please call or email
Thanks
Rick
507-283-1800

Old 07-24-2015, 01:08 AM   #94

I just put the links on tonight and they perform just like every post I have read. It lowered the bikes rear about 3/4", my feet are now flat on the ground, no change in how the bike handles and nothing is scraping.

We took alot of photos to show the process. It took about 2 hours total time and here is why. I dont wrench every day so this was new territory to me. Took it to a friend who is pretty well experienced. Put it on his lift and I started the work. He just supervised (which I appreciated). I was told by Rick, the manufacturer, to follow the directions exactly. So I did. Every step I read, re-read, dry fit, re-re-read again and then verify what I read was actually what I had just read for the forth time, move to the next step repeating the same process as the previous step of re-reading everything. All in all it is any easy install, maybe Im just difficult. The only thing that could have made this installation easier would have been pictures with the instructions. I will post the pics I have later once I can put them on my computer and attach notes with arrows to the details.

All in all worth the money I paid.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:57 PM   #95
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneld View Post
I just put the links on tonight and they perform just like every post I have read. It lowered the bikes rear about 3/4", my feet are now flat on the ground, no change in how the bike handles and nothing is scraping.

We took alot of photos to show the process. It took about 2 hours total time and here is why. I dont wrench every day so this was new territory to me. Took it to a friend who is pretty well experienced. Put it on his lift and I started the work. He just supervised (which I appreciated). I was told by Rick, the manufacturer, to follow the directions exactly. So I did. Every step I read, re-read, dry fit, re-re-read again and then verify what I read was actually what I had just read for the forth time, move to the next step repeating the same process as the previous step of re-reading everything. All in all it is any easy install, maybe Im just difficult. The only thing that could have made this installation easier would have been pictures with the instructions. I will post the pics I have later once I can put them on my computer and attach notes with arrows to the details.

All in all worth the money I paid.
Pics are worth a thousand words, I would love to see'm once you get them loaded

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-06-2015, 06:13 AM   #96

Update: I had 15lbs of air in the shocks as a recommended starting point and had a passenger while riding a mountain pass. The pipes were scraping a bit as I leaned the bike pretty far. I put 40lbs in each and that helped quite a bit. Yes, I can still scrap the pipes in a hard lean but lets face it, the ass end is 3/4" lower and I was leaning it pretty hard. Still no regrets in putting in the drop links.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:00 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneld View Post
Update: I had 15lbs of air in the shocks as a recommended starting point and had a passenger while riding a mountain pass. The pipes were scraping a bit as I leaned the bike pretty far. I put 40lbs in each and that helped quite a bit. Yes, I can still scrap the pipes in a hard lean but lets face it, the ass end is 3/4" lower and I was leaning it pretty hard. Still no regrets in putting in the drop links.
What kind of pipes do you have installed?
I'm just curious if some exhaust systems are better or worse than others. I haven't heard of more than a couple of guys who've scraped in corners. I just rode out to the Colorado Springs area then up to Sturgis with a new 2015 Vaquero. No passenger but full saddlebags. A couple of times I was ready for something to scrape but it never did. Disclaimer; When I really want to do some knee dragging I ride one of my 4 ZRX's.
Mods to the bike were; Freedom Performance full dual exhaust, Power Commander V, Luverne Kawasaki Lowering Links, 300 watt Punch amp, Infinity speakers and the forks lowered 1/2" in the clamps.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:43 PM   #98

I'd love to see a picture of a lowered vaquero via these lowering links mentioned.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:43 PM   #99

Here is where it all started...
http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=36551

Old 08-06-2015, 10:45 PM   #100

Also check page two of this post..

Old 08-16-2015, 09:43 PM   #101

I bought the lowering kit from Luvernekaw, questions here

I should have asked before I bought the lowering kit for the rear end, that said...

Ok I have a couple of questions. I am hoping someone can answer. First of all , being a brand new bike , with around 500 miles or so on it, will lowering the front and and doing this modification on the back end along with the bag rack modification/welds, effect my warranty? I have two years automatically given by Kawasaki and more I paid for. Will doing it myself effect the warranty or do I need it done by the Kawasaki shop mechanics?

Second, Are these bag frame supports hollow tubing or solid steel? I am undecided, I may send it to luvernekaw to get it welded if it is hollow tubing.

Thirdly, is there any instructions or videos out there on how to remove the front forks and raise the fork covers to lower the front end a half an inch? I don't want to start or even do the front end if I can't or don't know or how to do the front end. . I want to do the whole thing at the same time. I do have a bike jack. Also will raising the front fork covers effect my handle bar lock?
I know how to take the front tire off and am a maint electrician by trade, so I am mechanically inclined, any help is appreciated. I should add that my bike is a new 2014 1700cc Vulcan Nomad. I am kind of short and I think that any little bit I can lower it would be helpful

Last edited by johninwny; 08-16-2015 at 09:46 PM.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:35 PM   #102

I'm pretty sure if you start cutting the bike it will void the warranty. You should check with Kawasaki just to be sure.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 08-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #103

Modifying the bag supports will obviously void the warranty on the bag supports. But, would you like to know how many times I've submitted a warranty claim on any bag support on any bike ever... Zero. If you have a dealer who tells you your warranty is voided because you modified the supports, you definitely need to go to a new dealer. I had a Kawasaki executive tell me nearly 20 years ago, "we sell the bikes and accessories, we know our customers modify them. How stupid would we be to void their entire warranty on an unrelated part?"
Don't let a "keyboard cowboy" on this or any other forum scare you. This is an easy mod to accomplish and you'll be glad you did it. The only word of caution I have is make sure whoever welds the support back together actually knows how to weld and you'll be just fine. (They are hollow)
Lastly if you have any other questions please call me direct. There are some fine and knowledgeable gentlemen on this and many other forums. I've used them many times myself. You can get a ton of useful information and help poking around and asking questions. Unfortunately, some (not all) of the people with 4000+ posts on forums are the ones you least want to listen to. If you don't know the answer to your question, how can you tell who to tune out and who to listen to? If I don't know the answer to your question, I'll tell you I don't, and I'll work to find the answer. I won't try to prove I know more than everyone on the planet when it's plain I don't.
Lowering the front forks in the clamps will not affect your steering lock. you will need to remove the forks from the clamps. slide the fork cover guide/holder down the fork leg 1/2" and reinstall the fork legs with 1/2" sticking out the top of the top triple clamp. If you feel comfortable removing forks you'll be fine. If you don't, have a qualified tech do it for you. Again, we developed this lowering link here in our shop. If you have detailed questions call me direct and you won't need to sift through Negative Nancy's posts.
FYI, We've sold 80 sets so far with zero advertising. We've had nearly unanimous positive response. Literally one complaint (you can read it on this forum a page or two back...) one set I forgot to include a washer, one set we welded backwards (oops) and 2 sets returned and refunded because the customers didn't want to modify the supports. Everyone who has them installed says they're worth doing. I'd say that's a pretty damn good record so far.
Thanks
Rick

Old 08-17-2015, 09:38 PM   #104

Re I bought the lowering kit

Rick, Thanks for taking the time to write/ type ....which is a pain in the ass, along with all the info. I have decided I am going to send my bag brackets to you to have them welded, but I will do it closer to the end of the riding season. Thanks for answering all my questions, please understand my concern of having a new bike , I just wanted to know a few things before I jump into this such as the warranty etc, Thanks again. I will contact you near the end season before I send the brackets. John

Old 08-17-2015, 10:28 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvernekaw View Post
Modifying the bag supports will obviously void the warranty on the bag supports. But, would you like to know how many times I've submitted a warranty claim on any bag support on any bike ever... Zero. If you have a dealer who tells you your warranty is voided because you modified the supports, you definitely need to go to a new dealer. I had a Kawasaki executive tell me nearly 20 years ago, "we sell the bikes and accessories, we know our customers modify them. How stupid would we be to void their entire warranty on an unrelated part?"
Don't let a "keyboard cowboy" on this or any other forum scare you. This is an easy mod to accomplish and you'll be glad you did it. The only word of caution I have is make sure whoever welds the support back together actually knows how to weld and you'll be just fine. (They are hollow)
Lastly if you have any other questions please call me direct. There are some fine and knowledgeable gentlemen on this and many other forums. I've used them many times myself. You can get a ton of useful information and help poking around and asking questions. Unfortunately, some (not all) of the people with 4000+ posts on forums are the ones you least want to listen to. If you don't know the answer to your question, how can you tell who to tune out and who to listen to? If I don't know the answer to your question, I'll tell you I don't, and I'll work to find the answer. I won't try to prove I know more than everyone on the planet when it's plain I don't.
Lowering the front forks in the clamps will not affect your steering lock. you will need to remove the forks from the clamps. slide the fork cover guide/holder down the fork leg 1/2" and reinstall the fork legs with 1/2" sticking out the top of the top triple clamp. If you feel comfortable removing forks you'll be fine. If you don't, have a qualified tech do it for you. Again, we developed this lowering link here in our shop. If you have detailed questions call me direct and you won't need to sift through Negative Nancy's posts.
FYI, We've sold 80 sets so far with zero advertising. We've had nearly unanimous positive response. Literally one complaint (you can read it on this forum a page or two back...) one set I forgot to include a washer, one set we welded backwards (oops) and 2 sets returned and refunded because the customers didn't want to modify the supports. Everyone who has them installed says they're worth doing. I'd say that's a pretty damn good record so far.
Thanks
Rick
If you have something to say to me let's hear it otherwise go fuck your self.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Tags
seat, seat height, shocks, tall