Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-23-2015, 01:03 PM   #1

Classifieds Etiquette??

So if you're selling in the classified section and someone inquires about your item and asks a fitment, age, style question and you answer them, would you feel some type of commitment/obligation to give them first shot at buying said item? Especially if that person contacts you back promptly? OR do you sell to whoever sends you the money first?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-23-2015, 01:24 PM   #2

First one to commit and put up the money wins, unless you have told the one who was asking questions that you would hold it until they made a decision.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:50 PM   #3

money talks, bullshit walks.

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally
2018 NC/SC Rally
2018 Antlers Rally
2019 Antlers Rally
2020 Antlers Rally
2022 Antlers Rally
2023 Antlers Rally

2021 Indian Roadmaster Limited
2022 Indian Roadmaster

Old 07-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #4

Until they put up the money they're tire kickers.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 07-23-2015, 04:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobber View Post
So if you're selling in the classified section and someone inquires about your item and asks a fitment, age, style question and you answer them, would you feel some type of commitment/obligation to give them first shot at buying said item? Especially if that person contacts you back promptly? OR do you sell to whoever sends you the money first?
I'm all about a mans word. If he tells me he wants it and he will send me money for it. I will hold it for him. I still believe in people. What a sucker,right? Still wouldn't have it any other way.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-23-2015, 04:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobber View Post
You are not giving enough facts to the situation. Sounds like you were looking at something and it was sold while you were looking.

Unless you obligated yourself to purchase it, then the person has every right to sell it to the first person providing the money.

I simply do not see it any other way.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
I'm all about a mans word. If he tells me he wants it and he will send me money for it. I will hold it for him. I still believe in people. What a sucker,right? Still wouldn't have it any other way.

+1...I'm with OldSchool. Yeah, a man's only as good as his word.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Last edited by Bud2rat; 07-23-2015 at 09:25 PM.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:20 PM   #8
Advanced Member

society has pushed us into a corner, ok if interested tell me I'll hold it for a couple of days, I will, If I haven't heard from you since our 1st conversation then done is done SOLD to the next one with the cheddar

Old 07-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #9
Top Contributor

I usually give the first person that enquires the option to ante up or fold. If they do not respond in a timely fashion then its on to the next prospective customer.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:08 PM   #10

I'm with OldSchool too
VROC#34321
VBA#01867

2012 NCR Rally Savanna. IL.
2013 National Rally Estes Park, CO
2014 NC/SC Rally in the Ozarks, Mountain View AR
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH
2015 VBA/VRA Eureka Springs AR
2015 Antlers Rally, Antlers OK.
2016 SCR Rally Salem MO.
2016 NCR Rally Hillsboro WI
2017 Eureka Springs AR
2017 National Rally Lake George NY
2004 Blue and Silver 1500 Nomad(RIP 9-26-19)
2000 Red and Silver 1500 Nomad
2012 Pearl White 1700 Voyager

Old 07-23-2015, 11:15 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Absolutely First Come First Serve Cash Only!

So last year We sold one of our houses.
The first potential buyer said he wanted the house but was closing on Their house, I said well okay. He said to let him know right away if someone else was interested.
The second potential buy shows up and says he wanted the house!
My conditions were that no realtors be involved and we could use the Texas Approved Real Estate Form, but if they secured a buyers agent (realtor) to represent them they would have to pay their fee. They would pay for all inspections, survey, their lender appraisal and I would pay for Title Commitment. Both parties agreed at our separate meetings.

I tell the second buyer who is ready to do the contract and I said when leaving him to drive to my house to email him the TREC Form. I called the First Potential Buyer to let him know of the Second Potential Buyers interest and that he was willing to sign a contract.

Before I got home which took about 40 minutes, the First Potential Buyer had contacted a Realtor and had a Signed Contract with Escrow Money in a Title Companys Account.

Also during this time home the Second Potential buyer had contacted a Realtor also and that realtor had left a voice mail wanting to start discussions.

I called the second potential buyer back and told him that the first potential buyer had already made contract. Needless to say the second buyer was bent out of shape.

notes****
Both parties knew of my intent and conditions to sell. The selling price remained the same for both parties. Both parties knew that I would contact the first potential buyer. Both parties were given the same amount of time to go to contract.
It was in essence who got there first with the money.

Last edited by rolfe; 07-23-2015 at 11:38 PM.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfe View Post
Absolutely First Come First Serve Cash Only!

So last year We sold one of our houses.
The first potential buyer said he wanted the house but was closing on Their house, I said well okay. He said to let him know right away if someone else was interested.
The second potential buy shows up and says he wanted the house!
My conditions were that no realtors be involved and we could use the Texas Approved Real Estate Form, but if they secured a buyers agent (realtor) to represent them they would have to pay their fee. They would pay for all inspections, survey, their lender appraisal and I would pay for Title Commitment. Both parties agreed at our separate meetings.

I tell the second buyer who is ready to do the contract and I said when leaving him to drive to my house to email him the TREC Form. I called the First Potential Buyer to let him know of the Second Potential Buyers interest and that he was willing to sign a contract.

Before I got home which took about 40 minutes, the First Potential Buyer had contacted a Realtor and had a Signed Contract with Escrow Money in a Title Companys Account.

Also during this time home the Second Potential buyer had contacted a Realtor also and that realtor had left a voice mail wanting to start discussions.

I called the second potential buyer back and told him that the first potential buyer had already made contract. Needless to say the second buyer was bent out of shape.

notes****
Both parties knew of my intent and conditions to sell. The selling price remained the same for both parties. Both parties knew that I would contact the first potential buyer. Both parties were given the same amount of time to go to contract.
It was in essence who got there first with the money.

Yep you are correct that is "Real Estate Law 101". Doesn't mean you have to apply that law to every transaction you ever make in life. I'll stick to my previous answer.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #13
Sr. Contributor

I have always seen on here, that the first PM to the seller puts you first in line to refuse.
This is how I recently acquired a trunk from Mac. It has worked in the past without a
hitch, I think, so why would it need to change?
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 07-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
You are not giving enough facts to the situation. Sounds like you were looking at something and it was sold while you were looking.

Unless you obligated yourself to purchase it, then the person has every right to sell it to the first person providing the money.

I simply do not see it any other way.
If someone were to message me and ask me for a picture that I SAID I would provide and send them and then in the mean time I sell it to someone else to me is inconsiderate at best. I would at LEAST give that person time to respond back or message them back on their decision.

Yes this was from personal experience but it is not necessarily isolated to this website or classified ads. I've had this happen to me before but was curious as to others take on it. I feel there should be a certain amount of propriety and yet I find it void these days.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:40 AM   #15
Advanced Member

You were interested in something and the seller agreed to send you a pic.
-Check
Before they could do that someone else offered to buy it on the spot without a pic.
-Check
I don't think the seller had any obligation to turn away his "bird-in-the-hand" for someone who had not made a commitment yet, regardless of whether you'd had the luxury of seeing the pic yet. Your sale had a condition and the other did not. Now if the seller had been a personal friend of yours or had specifically said he'd hold it for you my response would be different, but this here is no foul.