Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-07-2014, 07:40 AM   #1

Nomad Windshield

I need to replace My windshield on My 2001 trying to decide if to go with fairing or not . I like the classic Nomad look and am leaning towards jurock 26'x22' grey tint. but would like to hear Your pros & cons on fairings over windshields . also ideas on the best of each . Thank You !

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #2

I just recently switched to a batwing type fairing on my '03. I too was always more fond of the windshield look over the fairing. I wasn't sure how I would like it, but got a good deal on one on ebay so I thought it was worth a try, So far I like it a lot better. I always enjoyed listening to music on longer rides and before, I had to mess with ear buds and other ways to hear tunes. Now I have the stereo, plus I have a 12 v plug in the fairing for my gps when I want it. Wind-wise, I would say it is pretty close. I have a 6" windshield on my new fairing which is about perfect for me and keeping the wind out of my face and no buffeting, but you still get quite a bit of wind coming from around the bottom and sides of the fairing. (at least on mine) The biggest thing I found needing getting used to in the switch is not being able to see the front tire while riding anymore and the fairing blocking part of your lower forward view. Never having ridden a bike with a fairing before was a little different at first, but doesn't take long to adjust.
As far as comparison between the 2, the added accessories with the batwing is a huge plus. Looks wise, I am starting to like the fairing look a lot more than I used to. Ride wise I didn't see a huge difference between the 2, but the more I ride the more I like the ride with the fairing.
Dobeck TFI

Old 10-07-2014, 08:55 AM   #3

fireman68: Does the batwing keep your hands a lot warmer in cold weather?

Because 2 wheels & a motor are a life long addiction !

2006 Nomad 1600
2003 Suzuki Volusia
1998 Honda Valkyrie (Sold)
1997 Vulcan 1500 Classic (Sold)

Old 10-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #4

I had a memphis shades batwing fairing on my VTX 1300. I love it. I had music from my Garmin 755Tso I didn't need a fairing that would support a radio unit. As for keeping your hands warm, it helped some but heaated grips or heavy gloves are the best

Old 10-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #5

Sorry for the slow reply. I have Phatt II risers on my bike, so the wind does still hit my hands some. I haven't rode in cold weather yet so I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing it won't be a huge difference in the hand warmth. I don't have the larger lowers that some have added after switching to the batwing. I have heard that helps some of the air that comes from underneath.
Dobeck TFI

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #6

Went from stock windshield to a Batwing. Big improvement and would not go back.