Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 04-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wiat!

Ordered a new Grasshopper today and I can't wait. Had my second back surgery this past January and riding has been limited to 3 short rides of 4 or 5 miles this spring. I'm healing well and yesterday rode 20 miles with little discomfort but I don't want to push it. The factory bars and seat on my 06 nomad put a strain on my lower back and neck so with the reviews of all of you. I went for it and purchased the Grasshopper about an hour ago. Should be here by the end of this coming week.

Man I'm excited. I don't purchase things for myself very often and this is something I need. Not just want. So I'm happy and guilt free.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-19-2014, 02:53 PM   #2

Some of the lower back and neck strain may be relieved by a set of handlebar risers.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 04-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Some of the lower back and neck strain may be relieved by a set of handlebar risers.
working on that right now also. My brother in law has an extra set of pullback 5 inch risers from one of his many Harleys. Says he can make em' work and he will even install them for me. Right now they hit the dash but he says " no problem, I can make them work". Hey...He's the engineer so I have faith in him and can't wait to get back on the road. Otherwise my wife just might find someone else to ride with. lol! Can't have that now can we.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #4

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
The he's going to suggest a fairing with a stereo to relieve stress.
Then a tour pack for more storage to ease the stress of packing.
Then vibrating floorboards to massage your feet.
Then a lava lamp and incense to burn at night to relieve stress.
Then a Seashore w/ Seagull CD to lull you to sleep at night.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 04-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #5

Just because you have all that stuff Kawhead does not mean he needs it.

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadtom69 View Post
I told my wife that I "NEED" it.

Can I really get a lava lamp for it?

Old 04-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

leather back braces were old school and i have 2... I made one and the Russians made the other one. get one. if your loving bride is coming anywhere with you, you better not rat that bike out too bad. If you do she will want her own bike. Or you will find if you do anyway she won't go and will pal around with HER friends and you will be seen solo standing with the belt carried cell phone glued to your ear asking for permission LOL

It was old school to carry a belt mounted Buck Folder i think it was 112 model. I never cared for buck steel so I carried something else and still do but it won't cut, it goes boom instead. The thing is I get this sickening feeling at Laconai Bike Week to see a biker in worn out jeans, chaps (ass less pants) a black leather vest (black leather vests are not old school) Jeans vests are over a black leather jacket, but anyway they are standing with one thumb up their azz and on the phone asking their woman if they can spend 10 dollars. I don't hear well so I have no cell phone, and I don't need to call to ask if i can spend 10 dollars either, because i don't have 10 dollars anymore.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 04-19-2014, 09:27 PM   #8

I also have an '06 Nomad, Grasshopper rider's backrest, and major issues with my back. I am pretty sure that 3" up x 1" back is all you can get away with without replacing some lines and cables. I have a set of 3" Chuckster's Customs risers. Before the back troubles I was 5' 10" and 205 lbs. Now the back is much better and I down to 5' 9" and 170 lbs. The longest single ride so far was 1167 miles in 2 days, no problems.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Old 04-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadtom69 View Post
Nobody still ain't met the reserve bid for the lava lamp on Ebay yet..

All the good stuff is hard to get!

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 04-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #10

I have a lava lamp too. Just don't keep it on the motorcycle.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Old 04-19-2014, 09:40 PM   #11
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=macmac;569434]leather back braces were old school and i have 2... I made one and the Russians made the other one. get one.

Sounds like some kinda midevil type device. Reminds me of the leather table / harness I was strapped to called ( traction) Where they stretched my spine out. The table was a two piece unit, split in the middle with hydrolic pistons attached each side underneath. They would then harness my back to one end of the table and my waist down to the other end of then table with leather belts and buckles. Then the doc would engage the hydro pistons pulling the table apart and literally stretching my spine for almost 30 minutes, or as long as I could stand it. All the way to 110 psi.

MISERY is how I could explain it. It did the complete opposite of help.

The backrest sounds very attractive to me compared to your leather compression / decompression torture thingy.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
leather back braces were old school and i have 2... I made one and the Russians made the other one. get one. if your loving bride is coming anywhere with you, you better not rat that bike out too bad. If you do she will want her own bike. Or you will find if you do anyway she won't go and will pal around with HER friends and you will be seen solo standing with the belt carried cell phone glued to your ear asking for permission LOL

It was old school to carry a belt mounted Buck Folder i think it was 112 model. I never cared for buck steel so I carried something else and still do but it won't cut, it goes boom instead. The thing is I get this sickening feeling at Laconai Bike Week to see a biker in worn out jeans, chaps (ass less pants) a black leather vest (black leather vests are not old school) Jeans vests are over a black leather jacket, but anyway they are standing with one thumb up their azz and on the phone asking their woman if they can spend 10 dollars. I don't hear well so I have no cell phone, and I don't need to call to ask if i can spend 10 dollars either, because i don't have 10 dollars anymore.
I was just thinking the same thing.
You just posted it quicker.

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

Old 04-19-2014, 09:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by markclark57 View Post
I also have an '06 Nomad, Grasshopper rider's backrest, and major issues with my back. I am pretty sure that 3" up x 1" back is all you can get away with without replacing some lines and cables. I have a set of 3" Chuckster's Customs risers. Before the back troubles I was 5' 10" and 205 lbs. Now the back is much better and I down to 5' 9" and 170 lbs. The longest single ride so far was 1167 miles in 2 days, no problems.
You shrank an inch while loosing weight?

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 04-19-2014, 10:11 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

[QUOTE=kawboysix;569442]
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
leather back braces were old school and i have 2... I made one and the Russians made the other one. get one.

Sounds like some kinda midevil type device. Reminds me of the leather table / harness I was strapped to called ( traction) Where they stretched my spine out. The table was a two piece unit, split in the middle with hydrolic pistons attached each side underneath. They would then harness my back to one end of the table and my waist down to the other end of then table with leather belts and buckles. Then the doc would engage the hydro pistons pulling the table apart and literally stretching my spine for almost 30 minutes, or as long as I could stand it. All the way to 110 psi.

MISERY is how I could explain it. It did the complete opposite of help.

The backrest sounds very attractive to me compared to your leather compression / decompression torture thingy.
My back is trash but i broke the power table at the DC doctors. That thing gave out pulling on me hard. I have a tip up now as seen on tv and wear hard plastic winter hiking boots for ice climbing on it. These belts are just wide. if you watch American Pickers much on the tv they have several old school belts hangin on the wall. These were tacked up too. Even if yer back wasn't trash you are missing an opertunity if you rat the bike or if you tack it up. Oh hang on a sec let me google it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=moto...ck+brace+belts

https://www.google.com/search?q=moto...ck+brace+belts

https://www.google.com/search?q=moto...chastity+belts

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Last edited by macmac; 04-19-2014 at 10:14 PM.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:30 PM   #15
Advanced Member

My back brace is made out of mesh canvas with Velcro and draw strings to tighten or loosen it. Breathes much better than leather but still a hot sweaty mess.

I'll take a backrest and leave the belt at home.