Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-05-2014, 11:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota7557 View Post
Just had my battery tested (again) at Powersports in Rapid City today. He said it needs to be replaced...I'll get a Yuasa YTX20CH-BS and go from there. Thanks for the replies. Jody
Hopefuly they fully charged it or at least made an atempt to before they tested it given you said it was at 11.7v otherwise its a non event Jody.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by muz; 02-06-2014 at 01:10 AM.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #32

Just to avoid confusion among several of the posts in this thread, and especially 28 and 29, for anyone trying to follow along on this, there are no significant discrepancies, even though it may sound like it.

A charger needs to supply a voltage that is somewhere around 14 - 16 volts in order to charge a 12 volt Pb battery. With a good battery, that is exactly what a meter should show when the battery is on the charger, settling to around 14 after the battery is fully charged.

Once the battery is taken off the charger and left to settle for a bit, it should then read between 12.7 and 13, but definitely no lower than 12.6, with a self-discharge rate of about 3% per month (voltage), or about 1% per day (percent of full charge) for the Nomad battery. In other words, a fully charged battery at 13 volts should self-discharge to about 12.6 volts and about 75% of full charge after 1 month, 12.2 volts and about 50% of full charge after two months, etc., give or take. (The Nomad service manual recommends a maintenance re-charge once a month during the off-season.)

With a bad battery however, all bets are off, and what a meter reads for voltage across the battery, both on and off the charger, could vary significantly from the above, depending on exactly what is wrong with the battery, the charge current, and the design of the charger.

Unfortunately, nothing with electrical problems is ever cut and dried, including trying to explain them.

Tom Maziarz (tomm)
VBA #00766
2008 Kawasaki Nomad (Black)
1978 Suzuki GS750EC (My son is riding it now.)

2017: National Rally - Lake George, NY
2016: NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC
2015: National Rally - Eureka Springs, AR
2014: NE US / E Canada Rally - Lincoln, NH
2012: NE US / E Canada Rally - Wellsboro, PA

Old 02-10-2014, 06:34 PM   #33

Tomm....you could be the aircraft electrical instructor I had in college..aerospace engineering !

Thanks for the "re-clarification"

I didnt do to well in spellun...or electrical...But I got Straight "A's" In Love ! (Johnny Cash, tells it best)

Old 02-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post
Tomm....you could be the aircraft electrical instructor I had in college..aerospace engineering !

Thanks for the "re-clarification"

I didnt do to well in spellun...or electrical...But I got Straight "A's" In Love ! (Johnny Cash, tells it best)
LOL . . .

Electrical engineer . . . I suspect most eyes glaze over. Electrical circuits are pretty straightforward to describe when they are working. But when they aren't, the "fun" is in understanding what things should be, what they are, and then knowing the theory enough to be able to figure out something to explain the difference.

Tom Maziarz (tomm)
VBA #00766

Old 02-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #35

An amazing fact about "Electrical"..when you get into it you find when you also study hydraulics...they are both very similar in principle and theory !!

However..i'm so far behind at this point in life, and was never strong at it, at any time..I'll not add any advice !

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #36
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post
An amazing fact about "Electrical"..when you get into it you find when you also study hydraulics...they are both very similar in principle and theory !!

However..i'm so far behind at this point in life, and was never strong at it, at any time..I'll not add any advice !
They both follow the path of least resistance.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #37

Like marriage . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
They both follow the path of least resistance.

Tom Maziarz (tomm)
VBA #00766

Old 02-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm View Post
Like marriage . . .
No, Tom. Like if you want a successful marriage.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 02-11-2014, 08:02 PM   #39

.. Electrical -- Electronics -- Hydraulic's -- Marriage !!

..Dang I'm jus no good !

Old 02-15-2014, 07:25 AM   #40

After all the smoke has cleared I received my a Yuasa YTX20CH-BS last week and it has worked perfectly. It stays charged the way it's suppose to and turns my bike over the way it should. The first new battery (AGM) was purchased from Batteries Plus on 10/26/13...A month later it had a dead cell. They replaced it in November with another off the shelf. 2 months later of sitting in a heated garage, it was dead. Took it to Auto Zone and had it tested and they said the 2nd battery was fine. Looked for a couple of weeks for what was draining the bike and couldn't find anything. Took it to PowerSports in Rapid City and they said it needed to be replaced. That's when I bought a Yuasa online. Received it last week, filled it with acid, charged it up fully and the bike has been working great since. Had a friend who owns an independent shop here and upon closer inspection the 2nd battery I received from Batteries Plus had the date stamped 6/13...I will not be buying any batteries from them anytime soon, although I take the blame for not inspecting the 2nd battery closer they took off the shelf closer...I can only assume since it was stamped 6/13 that it was brought back to the store (from someone else), they ended up putting it on the shelf and that was given to me...Two Lessons I learned from all of this. 1. I know where all the wires, fuses, connectors are on my bike and I'll bet I have the cleanest battery cables in the state. 2. I personally will not buy another battery off the shelf and the next battery I get, I will put the acid in myself, charge it myself and of course install it myself. I have really appreciated all the input from everyone, although it kept me hopping, trying different things (mentioned) out to rectify the problem. Lastly, I only blame myself for not looking at the 2nd battery given to me closer...DUH...Thank You Again for all the comments, Jody

Old 02-15-2014, 07:38 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota7557 View Post
After all the smoke has cleared I received my a Yuasa YTX20CH-BS last week and it has worked perfectly. It stays charged the way it's suppose to and turns my bike over the way it should. The first new battery (AGM) was purchased from Batteries Plus on 10/26/13...A month later it had a dead cell. They replaced it in November with another off the shelf. 2 months later of sitting in a heated garage, it was dead. Took it to Auto Zone and had it tested and they said the 2nd battery was fine. Looked for a couple of weeks for what was draining the bike and couldn't find anything. Took it to PowerSports in Rapid City and they said it needed to be replaced. That's when I bought a Yuasa online. Received it last week, filled it with acid, charged it up fully and the bike has been working great since. Had a friend who owns an independent shop here and upon closer inspection the 2nd battery I received from Batteries Plus had the date stamped 6/13...I will not be buying any batteries from them anytime soon, although I take the blame for not inspecting the 2nd battery closer they took off the shelf closer...I can only assume since it was stamped 6/13 that it was brought back to the store (from someone else), they ended up putting it on the shelf and that was given to me...Two Lessons I learned from all of this. 1. I know where all the wires, fuses, connectors are on my bike and I'll bet I have the cleanest battery cables in the state. 2. I personally will not buy another battery off the shelf and the next battery I get, I will put the acid in myself, charge it myself and of course install it myself. I have really appreciated all the input from everyone, although it kept me hopping, trying different things (mentioned) out to rectify the problem. Lastly, I only blame myself for not looking at the 2nd battery given to me closer...DUH...Thank You Again for all the comments, Jody
Great safe riding mate.