Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-11-2014, 01:00 AM   #1

fuel pump fix

Hi all

Riding the other day and guess what. Fuel pump started whinning again. Bike now has 90000 kilometers on it and this will be forth fuel pump.

Found item on us eBay number 271121963279 for $39.95. Claims to be OEM replacement.
tHis is one tenth the cost of genuine item

Will try one but was wondering has anyone else tried them and if so are they any good?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
Top Contributor

Have the fuel pumps you have been fitting all been new ? 90,000 kms and 4 fuel pumps is excessive.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #3

Did the pumps just whine? or did they stop working. A lot of guys have whining pumps and they last for years like that.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-11-2014, 12:50 PM   #4

fuelpump fix

None of the pumps failed. They all just started whinning and as I ride in isolated areas I replaced them with new ones rather than break down in the middle of nowhere.

I did have one of the pumps tested by my Kawa dealer prior to replacement and it was not delivering correct fuel amounts so I assumed that the whinning was an indication of pending failure. Kawa did replace one under warranty for this reason. I also tried to clean the filter on one but found this to be a very temporary fix. I note other manufacturers have the same issues with fuel pumps on bikes. Triumph actually regard them as a service item and price them accordingly.

When the new OEM pump arrives I will install it into an old unit and keep it on a shelf to see how long I can get out of current pump.

I love the nomad. It has never left me on the side of the road. I am sure the engines will last for 100's of thousands of K's but I cant help but observe that the only problems i have had with the bike relate to techno items such as fuel injection, computor chips or the radiator. None of these items exist on the old carby air cooled bikes. Is technology really helping us?

Old 01-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #5

I am wondering if you have dirty fuel there and it is the cause of your problems.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #6

Smile re dirty fuel

Thanks for reply ringading. I have often wondered about dirty fuel. I do use one supplier here at home but most times i ride I would fill up at two, three or four servos along the way. So there is a fair mix of fuel sources going on. The actual plastic bowl that carries the fuel pump often contains some sediment while the filter that feeds the pumps is always clean. so I assume the original filter must be too porous for the pumps. That being said. I will try new pump on an old unit that I have replaced and see what happens. I have spoken with bike mechanics here and all appear to have similar problems on bikes that do big miles. Plenty of harley riders over here do lattee runs down to the local coffee shop, stop and pose next to their bikes then take them home and claim they never have problems with their bikes but I spoke recently with a HD mechanic who had 50, 000 k's on his bike and he had also replaced fuel pumps. He felt that it was due to the small quantities of fuel that bikes carry and the proximity of the pump to the bottom of the tanks. He may be onto something here because i know the pump on a nomad is a mitsubishi part that ordinarily gives 100's of thousands of K's worth of hassle free service in cars.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:41 PM   #7

I'm sure as hell no mechanic but do you realize not to run the bike to low on fuel as the fuel is what cools the fuel pumps on these bikes?
I put 88,000 miles on my 07 and replaced the pump one time because it was whining. Didn't want it ti quit on me on one of our long trips.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #8

thanks topcat

I think you are onto something here. Although i have never let bike run until fuel light comes on or let the bike run out of fuel I frequently have to ride upto 200 k's between stops. I am sure given the height of the pump in the tank that it is often exposed and this is the difference between fuel pumps in bikes and fuel pumps in cars. They can never achieve the K's in a bike tank that they will in a car. Too much technology I am afraid. Fuel taps and carbies are the best fix for the fuel pump problem. If you read triumph sites you will find they discuss this very issue in depth. Also their mechanics are advised of this problem through in house training.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
Advanced Member

The pump is at the lowest part of the tank. I doubt that the pump is ever exposed.
You would have to run it out of fuel.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 01-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #10
Advanced Member

I put an Airtex after market pump in my 02 at 90,000. I'm not sure that it was really bad. The filter may have been the problem. I've changed the filter once since then. It's working good,
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 01-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #11
Top Contributor

"The pump is at the lowest part of the tank. I doubt that the pump is ever exposed.
You would have to run it out of fuel".

The pump sticks up into the tank about 3 inches so the pump is exposed if you run low on fuel.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
"The pump is at the lowest part of the tank. I doubt that the pump is ever exposed.
You would have to run it out of fuel".

The pump sticks up into the tank about 3 inches so the pump is exposed if you run low on fuel.
How do you figure? Its flat on the plate that mounts in the bottom.

Excuse me ....I'm talking about the 1500. My bad.

But still, as long as fuel is pumping through the pump it will cool. Only if it runs out but then it stops running.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Last edited by Jllm02199; 01-23-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #13
Top Contributor

True, the pump will be cooled by the fuel running through it but fuel on the outside of the pump keeps it cool also.