Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee_ brake View Post
Well heck I don't blame him! My fellow and I take good care of each other and we like to ride bikes together, it's a pretty sweet setup.

No tools under the cover, I remember that. So should I take some plug sockets with me next time I see the bike?
That would be useful to bring a few tools. Read up on gadgets page there is a link here somewhere. It has a lot of useful info about inspecting/ doing timing chain extenders and other stuff that will get you more familiar with the nomad motor. There is a link to an on line shop manual near the top of this 1500/ 1600 section, but I am not sure that it works since we moved to a different host.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #32

The tools are in a false bottom under the left side cover. It looks empty and there are often velcro straps making it look like something has been removed but the straps are for some CA smog equipment. Just look closer and you will see the bottom "floor" of the compartment actually comes loose and has the tools inside; there are "squeeze tabs" at the rear that release the compartment.

VBA Member # 02057

Last edited by xlock; 11-20-2013 at 07:51 PM.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #33

ok...thanks, I appreciate the heads-up on all this.

I just got a sweet steal on a 1979 Honda CX500 locally, and all it needed was a carb clean and the idle mixture screws replaced to get it back on the road in more or less streetworthy condition. I tagged it today. I wish this big cruiser was so simple.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #34

Where are you located?

There may be someone close by who would be willing to take a look at it.

MT
VBA 936

Old 11-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #35

..Ole (not-so) Silent Sam Here...

Not being there..It's difficult to conclude the source of all that noise..BUT..is it possible that you recorded it on the "Injection-Side" of the engine with the fuel injection cover removed..and a "Cold Start" ?

After those little injector pumps warm up, they quiet down ..some.. !! ??

And along with the "normal clatter" of these BigKawks..they are pretty noisy with that cover off !

As for listening for engine noise/knocks etc.... Just take the handle of your household "plunger" (or a similar length of tube) and put one end in your ear..and the other end on any part of the engine where you want to -hear wutz goin on in there- (Dont get the listening device into any moving parts)

As for id-man's questions...and "Havin No Shame"...I'm about ready to adopt that boy...my question is..does coffee brake have a mom who might be interested in ..gettin involved ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Silent Sam; 11-21-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #36
Advanced Member

ROFLMAO!

(rolling on the floor laughing my keester off)

Old 11-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #37

I should have put that info in the profile, the bike is within 30 miles of Charleston, SC.

Sam all the covers were on except the left air cleaner cover, and the recording was on the right side, about 5 feet away. I think if I can get these plug tubes, I might find some undue wear on them. My hopes aren't too high about having the time to mess with it, though. Southern women are pretty darned busy with the food on Thanksgiving day.

And sorry, Mom and Dad just celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary this summer, ain't neither one of them gonna jump the fence this late in the game! For their anniversary, they took the bike up to the mountains and I was their tour guide all over the Smokies! They rode till I got tired!

Old 11-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #38
Advanced Member

I don't know how these engines are made but on a lot of the engines I have worked on they have "free floating wrist pins". The connecting rod can have a bronze bushing pressed in the wrist pin end. I have seen these bushings come out. The resulting clearance will make a lot of noise. Just a thought.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #39

..Owww Shucks..Well coffee brake, Congratulations to your folks

..Ole #4, and my inlaws (after 30 yrs)..are trying to kill me at this point...(they figured out I'm worth a few -"very few"..$$$). But I'm a Hard-Head, and refuse to die....

And I'm keepin an eye out for "Ole #5"

Good luck on finding the fix for the clatter in that engine...

......See Ya , Out There, Some Where, In The Wind... "shamefully, shameless sam"