Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #1

Vaquero air shock leak...

So they Vaquero has 2 separate valves to fill the rear shocks separately. I changed out the two aluminum pieces that have the valves / hoses attached to with one unit that connects the two chambers together so you can add air to just one valve and have equal pressure in both shocks. Since I bought it from a guy who made it, I wanted to check for any slow leak, so let it sit for a day and rechecked pressure, and it was down 10psi, 12 hours later down another 5 psi.

Oh, and when I took off the originals, air was release and I can't tell you the last time I checked or added air...so the originals were working fine.

So I decide to put the originals back on. Pump them both to about 25psi using a bike hand pump, with the intention of using a tire gauge and rerleasing air to match them both at 20psi. Well, the originals, neither side, will now hold air... WTH??!! I check psi with gauge, counted to 10, rechecked and lost 10 psi.

I have never used anything but the hand pump, and have never put more than 25psi in. I tried both using thread tape and not, same results. I made sure the valve hadn't come lose.

I am at a loss, I just can't believe this little project went downhill so fast, it makes no sense to me.... HELP!

VBA #01898

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #2

Use soapy water to check all of your connections and the valves. That's what i do with air ride systems on cars. Should be pretty easy to find i would think.

2005 1600 nomad

Old 05-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #3

Well, it appears upon quick rechecking of pressure multiple times that just doing so loses 5psi, so maybe what I thought was a leak was just air being purged when using the tire gauge...maybe since such a small system that could be the case?

I pumped it up, left the pump with gauge attached and let sit, and it didn't lose air. Used the tire gauge and it was was about 4psi less than the pump gauge read, and about where I want it. So I guess I will assume it is there, because if I check it again it will lose air...

VBA #01898

Old 05-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #4

That is why you use a NO LOSS air pump.Like you have seen every time you use a gauge you are going to have air loss.
VROC#34321
VBA#01867

2012 NCR Rally Savanna. IL.
2013 National Rally Estes Park, CO
2014 NC/SC Rally in the Ozarks, Mountain View AR
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH
2015 VBA/VRA Eureka Springs AR
2015 Antlers Rally, Antlers OK.
2016 SCR Rally Salem MO.
2016 NCR Rally Hillsboro WI
2017 Eureka Springs AR
2017 National Rally Lake George NY
2004 Blue and Silver 1500 Nomad(RIP 9-26-19)
2000 Red and Silver 1500 Nomad
2012 Pearl White 1700 Voyager

Old 05-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

The air bladders in the shocks are small. Use a no loss shock pump to accurately inflate them. Just checking the pressure with a gauge can lose several pounds of pressure.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #6

Amazon sells a gauge mounted air pump for about $25- $30. It works great and you don't lose air when you thread it on.
VBA #2304
Black & Grey 2011 Nomad
KLR 650 2009
ZRX1200R 2001

Old 05-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
The air bladders in the shocks are small. Use a no loss shock pump to accurately inflate them. Just checking the pressure with a gauge can lose several pounds of pressure.
So I have now learned LOL

Not sure I have a zero loss pump, but you can barely here a very brief psss of airflow when disconnect. But the reason I was trying to check with my tire gauge (electronic / digital readout) is because the hand pump gauge can read upto 300psi, so due to the increments it isn't very accurate in the 0-30 range. I already owned it and needed it for my mountain bike forks...this one

http://www.amazon.com/RockShox-High-...=rockshox+pump

VBA #01898

Old 05-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
Mega-Contributor

Good point. when buying a zero loss pump, you want one that has a 0-60 PSI range, for the very reason you stated.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #9

My Vaq's rear shocks never held air pressure for very long. I would have to refill them at least once a week. I got tired of pulling off the seat and constantly having to add and adjust air pressure. I tied the shocks together into a common fitting that I attached to the right side saddle bag gaurd rail. Over time the air loss in the shocks has worsened.

Has anyone with a Vulcan monitored the rate of air loss on their skoot? I believe since my skoot's shocks never held air well that was just the beginning of what I am experiencing now.

RACNRAY

Old 05-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
My Vaq's rear shocks never held air pressure for very long. I would have to refill them at least once a week. I got tired of pulling off the seat and constantly having to add and adjust air pressure. I tied the shocks together into a common fitting that I attached to the right side saddle bag gaurd rail. Over time the air loss in the shocks has worsened.

Has anyone with a Vulcan monitored the rate of air loss on their skoot? I believe since my skoot's shocks never held air well that was just the beginning of what I am experiencing now.

RACNRAY
Using the zero loss gauge, I have had minimal air loss over a 2-3 week period. At some point after this period 1-2 lbs are added and will continue again for a 2-3 week period. I also have wondered about the amount of air loss and it being affected by air temps.
Ray on another note, I have been wondering about turning down the idle on my Vaq---would you have any ideas or have you lowered yours and what would the negative be?

Old 05-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #11

Ray, My '05 would slowly leak, but my vaquero has been doing very well. I will check it this afternoon though. I only keep 15psi in this system.

+1 on a zero loss pump. The volume of these systems won't allow us to get a good reading with a traditional gauge.
formerly 2005 Nomad - black/silver

Old 05-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomi1 View Post
Using the zero loss gauge, I have had minimal air loss over a 2-3 week period. At some point after this period 1-2 lbs are added and will continue again for a 2-3 week period. I also have wondered about the amount of air loss and it being affected by air temps.
Ray on another note, I have been wondering about turning down the idle on my Vaq---would you have any ideas or have you lowered yours and what would the negative be?
I recommend turning down the idle. I perform this on all Vulcans I work on. The system will allow a minus 50 or minus 100 rpm from the stock setting. I have always set the skoots at minus 100rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestephens View Post
Ray, My '05 would slowly leak, but my vaquero has been doing very well. I will check it this afternoon though. I only keep 15psi in this system.

+1 on a zero loss pump. The volume of these systems won't allow us to get a good reading with a traditional gauge.
Thanx to both of you. My shocks never held air like what you guys have described. I went for a ride yesterday and set the pressure at 20. I checked it when I got back and it was at 3psi. I am gonna check my "t" system for leaks first. If I find none I will crimp off eack line to the shocks one at a time to determine which is the culprit, or if it is both.

Thanx again

RACNRAY