Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #1

Engine heat

I am sure someone else has already talked about this but I have a 2012 voyager with about 350 miles and when I ride n slow traffic the temp gage goes way up. Is this normal or is there a fix I should know about?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #2

My Vaquero does the same thing, it's the same motor, this is normal, once you get some wind on the motor it cools down immediately and it has never overheated
Cobra Power Pro
K&N High Intake Air Filter
EOM 15 Inch Windshield
EOM Aux Driving Lights
EOM iPod Kit, iPod Touch
Mustang Wide Touring Studded Seat
Castrol Full Synthetic Racing Oil
Kuryakyn Black Iso Grips
Kuryakyn Stiletto Grip Ends
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn Black Scythe Mirrors
Michelin Commander II Tires

Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #3

Don't the 2012 have the Kams kit as standard? that should be getting rid of a lot the heat. You can also try going to the "ICE" coolant, supposed to keep the engine a little cooler.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 04-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #4

As long as the fan is running I should be good? The highest I've seen it was the line before red. Kinda worries me cause it should run longer than that before it gets too hot. Thanks for the replies.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
Top Contributor

The temp gauge will show in the upper range when waiting for a light or in traffic but should go down once you start moving again. The gauge on 1700's tends to show higher than most, for example your car in the same situation. Its as if the calibration is off. This is normal. You should be good if the fan is coming on.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
I am sure someone else has already talked about this but I have a 2012 voyager with about 350 miles and when I ride n slow traffic the temp gage goes way up. Is this normal or is there a fix I should know about?
The problem is in your head the temperature gauge is designed to run between the half and three quarters mark on normal temp. If the needle doesn't go into the red area it isn't hot. Try reading the owners manual or the service manual both will tell you the same. There are several threads on here about the same subject and all reach the same result you need to reteach yourself to read the gauge as designed.

Have a great ride!
VBA #02089

Previous Bikes:
75 Yamaha 175
09 Vulcan 900 Classic
11 Vulcan Vaquero
Harleys:
75 Sportster XLCH
84 Sportster 1000
85 FXRT
79 Low Rider

Old 04-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #7

The 2012 Kams Kit does not make it run cooler,it just redirects the radiator heat below the bike and some rear exhaust pipe heat with the hair dryer under the left side passenger floor board.Some have found that by running a PCV or other fuel controling device helps the cooling somewhat but I have a PCV and have not noticed much differance YET.But I am still playing with it.Some have added special coolant used and avaliable for better cooling.I live in Canada so in reality my hot hot days are few at best,but it does heat up in stop and go traffic to the 3/4 mark.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #8

Thanks yall I feel much better about it now.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #9

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
It's perfectly normal. You have to take into consideration the amount of air flow the full fairing/lowers etc is blocking, especially at low speed or stopped in traffic. In comparison, I can almost count the times when the fan kicked in on my 06 1500 Classic.....just goes to show how much of an effect wind has on a naked bike. As long as the fan is kicking in at the proper temp you are good to go. Living in Canada and riding in early spring and fall, I think the heat is an added bonus. Ride safe

Old 04-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #10

Yeah dlars I figure the lowers were blocking a lot of wind. This is my first bike with any fairing.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #11

I have a 2012 as well. I kinda freaked out too initially about the temp gauge. It spikes pretty quick when I stop in traffic, but never overheats. It always goes back down when I start moving again.