Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #1

Two new questions

For you Voyager and Vaquero owners. Mine is a 2011 Voyager and inquiring minds want to know if (1) you have an issue opening your gas cap when the tank is getting low? Twice I have gotten to the low fuel light and stopped for gas. Put the key in and turned the lock and it was like the cap was jammed in place. After a GREAT deal of struggling with the cap it opened and the tank popped as air was forced into it. It is almost like as the gas is used up a vacumn forms and the tank does not breath. Anyone else have this problem? (2) Anyone purchase a Stebel compact air horn, if so where did you mount it?

Thanks for any help.

dave....

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
Top Contributor

It is possible that your gas tank vent line is trapped or kinked causing a vacuum in the tank ? A guy on another forum with a Voyager had has tank collapse because of a vent line being trapped. His tank was replaced under warranty. I had a Stebel on my 1600 Nomad. I mounted in the same place as the stock horn usung a 3/16th stainless steel bracket I made myself. I also mounted the relay to that bracket.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #3

I have a 2010 voyager, have the steibel (woolo) horn mounted on the left side where the intake cover went, I put on a hypercharger and at the same time ordered the plate from thunder mfg to go on the left side, I drilled a hole in the plate and mounted the horn there, IMO a steibel will NOT mount in place of the original tinny sounding piece of crapola as I think it could impact the front fender if the forks compress enough. My guess is that the issue with your gas cap is as you described.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 05-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
It is possible that your gas tank vent line is trapped or kinked causing a vacuum in the tank ? A guy on another forum with a Voyager had has tank collapse because of a vent line being trapped. His tank was replaced under warranty. I had a Stebel on my 1600 Nomad. I mounted in the same place as the stock horn usung a 3/16th stainless steel bracket I made myself. I also mounted the relay to that bracket.
Yep, tank vent thing happened to me as well. I bought the bike in Texas and brought it back to Wyoming on a trailer in a snow storm. When I unloaded the bike I noticed one side of the tank was slightly collapsed. Opening the tank allowed air in and it popped back (thank goodness). So I pulled the tank and some monkey (likely at the dealership as the bike only had 1800 miles) had pinched the fuel vent and overflow lines where the tank bolts down. Simple reroute and it's good to go. You don't have to pull the tank completly to fix it, just remove the bolts and pull the back up a bit to re route if needed.

Plus 1 on the horn mount, used the stock location as well.
Vance & Hines Pro Pipe with Supertrapp meg can, Thunder Air kit, Corbin heated seat, Fuel cap mod (close w/o key), I-Pod, Thermometer, mounted dual heat-troller, rear speakers, rear rack, bag liners, Dobeck's Gen 3, grips, backrest, removable coffee holder, 1500 kick-stand, marbled, air horn, adjustable windshield (8"-12.5"), Race Tech Gold Valve Cartridge Fork Emulator & springs, Küryakyn floorboard mount Hwy pegs, etc...

Other rides:
2003 ZRX1200r (X2)
2006 ZX14

Old 05-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #5

1) No problems on the gas tank. 2) Still have the stock crappy horn

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown32 View Post
Plus 1 on the horn mount, used the stock location as well.
That is fine on the 1600 that he had it mounted on, but I would be leery about the voyager, I just have the feeling it would hit the front fender as the horn sticks out quite a bit more than the stock and it is a lot lower.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 05-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #7

Mounted a Wolo in the orginal location with no problems. It's the same size as a Stebel.
VBA #01900
VROC #25609
F.A.I.T.H. Riders (Central Baptist Church, Lawton)
MSF Rider Coach

Old 05-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiecop View Post
Mounted a Wolo in the orginal location with no problems. It's the same size as a Stebel.
Good to know, as someone was asking about it in my club.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 05-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
That is fine on the 1600 that he had it mounted on, but I would be leery about the voyager, I just have the feeling it would hit the front fender as the horn sticks out quite a bit more than the stock and it is a lot lower.

3000 miles and doing well, plenty of room.
Vance & Hines Pro Pipe with Supertrapp meg can, Thunder Air kit, Corbin heated seat, Fuel cap mod (close w/o key), I-Pod, Thermometer, mounted dual heat-troller, rear speakers, rear rack, bag liners, Dobeck's Gen 3, grips, backrest, removable coffee holder, 1500 kick-stand, marbled, air horn, adjustable windshield (8"-12.5"), Race Tech Gold Valve Cartridge Fork Emulator & springs, Küryakyn floorboard mount Hwy pegs, etc...

Other rides:
2003 ZRX1200r (X2)
2006 ZX14

Old 05-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #10

For those that mounted the Stebel horn was it the compact model that you put in the original's place?

Old 05-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #11

Put the wolo in the same place.

Dave "Dogleg" Pettigrew
VBA #01124
CVRA & AMA member
Pataskala, OH
2006 Nomad
2011 Red Vaquero - Sold
2008 Nomad - Sold

Old 05-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #12

my vent line was pinched and it dented the tank with vacum

Old 05-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #13

My vent hose was pinched under the tank on the right side by the seat mount. Got it moved and checked by the dealer and everything is working great. Still wondering about the Stebel Air Horn if the one used is the compact model.