In Association with VBA Web : Memorial | Merchandise

Important Info : Please Read!
If this is your first visit to our new forum (est. 9.20.11) and you're already registered on the old forum, you'll have to request a new password in order to log in here. To do so, please Click Here and fill in the proper info. You must use the email address that you originally registered with on the old forum. You will then be emailed a new password (if you don't see it, please check your spam/junk folder). If you have any problems at all, please email us at mail@VulcanBagger.com. Thanks!

Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic > Lighter Side/Jokes
Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2008, 11:57 AM   #1

Stella Awards - Can You Believe These??

It's time again for the annual "Stella Awards"! For those unfamiliar with these awards, they are named after 81-year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled hot coffee on herself and successfully sued the McDonald's in New Mexico where she purchased the coffee. You remember, she took the lid off the coffee and put it between her knees while she was driving. Who would ever think one could get burned doing that, right? That's right; these are awards for the most outlandish lawsuits and verdicts in the U.S. You know, the kinds of cases that make you scratch your head. So keep your scratcher handy.

Here are the Stella's for the past year:

7TH PLACE :
Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas was awarded $80,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The store owners were understandably surprised by the verdict, considering the running toddler was her own son.

6TH PLACE :
Carl Truman, 19, of Los Angeles, California won $74,000 plus medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps.

5TH PLACE :
Terrence Dickson, of Bristol, Pennsylvania, was leaving a house he had just burglarized by way of the garage. Unfortunately for Dickson, the automatic garage door opener malfunctioned and he could not get the garage door to open. Worse, he couldn't re-enter the house beca use the door connecting the garage to the house locked when Dickson pulled it shut. Forced to sit for eight, count 'em, EIGHT, days on a case of Pepsi and a large bag of dry dog food, he sued the homeowner's insurance company claiming undue mental Anguish. Amazingly, the jury said the insurance company must pay Dickson $500,000 for his anguish. We should all have this kind of anguish.

4TH PLACE :
Jerry Williams, of Little Rock, Arkansas, garnered 4th Place in the Stella's when he was awarded $14,500 plus medical expenses after being bitten on the butt by his next door neighbor's beagle - even though the beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. Williams did not get as much as he asked for because the jury believed the beagle might have been provoked at the time of the butt bite because Williams had climbed over the fence into the yard and repeatedly shot the dog with a pellet gun.

3RD PLACE :
Third place goes to Amber Carson of Lancaster , Pennsylvania because a jury ordered a Philadelphia restaurant to pay her $113,500 after she slipped on a spilled soft drink and broke her tailbone. The reason the soft drink was on the floor: Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

2ND PLACE :
Kara Walton, of Claymont, Delaware sued the owner of a night club in a nearby city because she fell from the bathroom window to the floor, knocking out her two front teeth. Even though Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the ladies room window to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge, the jury said the night club had to pay her $12,000, plus dental expenses.

1ST PLACE: This year's runaway First Place Stella Award winner was Mrs.. Merv Grazinski, of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, who purchased a new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home from an OU football game, having driven onto the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go to the back of the Winnebago to make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the motor home left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Also not surprisingly, Mrs. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not putting in the owner's manual that she couldn't actually leave the driver's seat while the cruise control was set. The Oklahoma jury awarded her, are you sitting down, $1,750,000 PLUS a new motor home. Winnebago actually changed their manuals as a result of this suit, just in case Mrs. Grazinski has any relatives who might also buy a motor home.

Are we, as a society, getting more stupid?
Old 02-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #2

Blowndodge was caught in the Rainbow district in Lakewood, CA.

He was smoking a counterfeit Cuban cigar bought in the alley.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:37 PM   #3

Its hard to figure who's stupider the people that sue or the idiots that award the amounts to them.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951
Old 02-13-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
Top Contributor

That is a tough one. How in the world do these morons get picked for these juries???
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 02-13-2008, 02:47 PM   #5

I don't believe them. Looks like Urban internet fodder to me.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:09 PM   #6

Quote:
I work in a place where several years ago two men were awarded by a jury a large sealed (see: $$$) settlement in a lawn mower case. It seems these two neighbors decided to trim the hedge between their homes by grabbing each side of a push lawn mower and trim the top of the hedge. Both lost fingers and the jury found both were victims of the lawn mower company because of a lack of a warning label. Talk about stupid!!!!!!

I include Pam for no apparent reason.

Are you back in full force or have you had your tail docked?

Old 02-13-2008, 06:11 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

there's no shame to your game!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005
Old 02-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #8

Learning from you, Booboo...

Old 02-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #9

OMG!!!!!!! People are stupid!!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2008, 06:22 PM   #10

in responce to nico's last pic....

Old 02-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #11

STELLLLLLLLLLAAAAA!!!!!!

Old 02-13-2008, 06:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Blowndodge was caught in the Rainbow district in Lakewood, CA.

He was smoking a counterfeit Cuban cigar bought in the alley.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt

Man... I'm with you guys...SWB & Ringadingh... Not sure who is more stupid!! I know I can't wait till I get called for a Jury Duty on a case like this!!! I'll be released in NO time...as soon as they ask me if I can be impartial... To Dumba$$es??? NO WAY!