Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #16
Advanced Member

Vertically Challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocheese72
I think new shock springs would be my lowering method of choice if I had to do it. It would be a nice upgrade and it would not give me less of a seat or make the bike easier to drag parts.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #17

Vertically Challenged

I too are short at 5'5". Two years ago I went with new shocks from scootworks. I lowerd my 1600 two inches, and have not had any issues with it. The ride is ajustable with the rear shocks. we
also lowered the wifes 900 kawasaki two inches as she is only 5'3". We have traveled to New York and the East coast and back to Indiana, and never had a problem one. I'm one for the shocks, but the choise is up to you. :) :) :)

Old 11-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #18

Vertically Challenged

Just FYI ....what might work for one person may not work for another. What you really need to go by is your inseam...some folks who are 5'6" may have a 29 inseam (that's mine) and I can flat foot my '05 no mods to change height. But some folks who are 5'6" may have a shorter inseam.

I would definitely get advice from a dealer you trust. I used to have a moto guzzi...The guzzi dealer is the one who had me measure my inseam when I told him how tall I was and we were talking about the bike's seat height...thinking it was 29 something. . He then had the seat modified with gel foam...according to my inseam......worked fine. I had asked him about a 'lowering kit' and he said you don't really want to do that, said it would effect the handling of the bike. The seat was very comfy whenever someone else sat on that bike they always asked about my comfy seat.

Just info from my experiences for what it's worth. Good luck.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 11-25-2010, 12:13 AM   #19

Vertically Challenged

I have know several people that have had the same problem on other bikes. Take your seat to an uphostery shop and have them remove a litlle padding where your legs rest against it when your feet are down. You can have this done without spending a lot of money. Then if you still have a little problem look a the progressive shocks. A friend of mine had shorter progressive shocks put on lowering the bike about one and hafe inches on an 05 nomad. He states the bike rides better. I know it rides as good or better than my 03 because I have ridden it. Any large bike is going to feel top heavy until you get to where your feet are secure. Don't give up on the bike.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:19 AM   #20

Vertically Challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwind2
Just FYI ....what might work for one person may not work for another. What you really need to go by is your inseam...some folks who are 5'6" may have a 29 inseam (that's mine) and I can flat foot my '05 no mods to change height. But some folks who are 5'6" may have a shorter inseam.

I would definitely get advice from a dealer you trust. I used to have a moto guzzi...The guzzi dealer is the one who had me measure my inseam when I told him how tall I was and we were talking about the bike's seat height...thinking it was 29 something. . He then had the seat modified with gel foam...according to my inseam......worked fine. I had asked him about a 'lowering kit' and he said you don't really want to do that, said it would effect the handling of the bike. The seat was very comfy whenever someone else sat on that bike they always asked about my comfy seat.

Just info from my experiences for what it's worth. Good luck.
Thanks "Unwind2"; good advice and I agree about lower as I have heard of some that worked but more people seem to have trouble. My inseam is 28 and that inch makes a big difference. I am looking for a seat off a wreck to modify rather than ruin my stock seat and have no way back.

Regards,
KawaNOW #01650
Bell City Riders #21
SCRC 329
2010 Nomad (The Beast)

Previous Bikes
2008 - 900 Vulcan Classic
1958 HD HydraGlide

Login or Register to Remove Ads