Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #16

Bike won't start!!

I did the tensioner extenders, ignition relocation, horn relay, tfi, and air kit last month. I've ridden it 4 times for probably 400 miles total since then with no problems.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #17
Sr. Contributor

Bike won't start!!

Ok so take off chucks kit and go back over every vac line/ISC's tubbing you capped off.

I am glad you got 400 miles on the extenders first.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #18
Sr. Contributor

Bike won't start!!

In this order I want to you to test things.

Pull all 4 plugs and gap them to 0.32. Pull the rubber boots off all the resistors and check for crud inside them. If you see any crud clean it with Q-Tips and carb cleaner.

Install the rubbers and place the plugs in each resistor.

Next with no plugs in the engine yet, turn on the key and look at cly 2 left side plug hole and see first as the fuel pump pumps if there is any sign of fuel misting from the open plug hole. Should be none.

Press the start button to crank a moment, and let it go. Sniff for fuel at cly 2 left rear plug hole. You should see misting, and smell fuel.

Next select a plug and with insulator pliers hold the threads against the engine, and press start to check spark. Check all 4 plugs this way.

Have chucks plate off and be sure all caps are there as i stated above.

Install all the plugs.

Shut off the key and turn it on again, attempt a start of no more than 5 seconds time.

If that fails get a old fashion propane torch head and a bottle of plumbers propane. Install the torch head, and turn On the bottle right direct into the intake ports while you hold the throttle plates open. Do not light the torch.

Run the propane gas in there 3 seconds at full blast on the torch, pass the torch to a helper and have them turn it off.

You attempt start 2.

Tell me what happens.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #19

Bike won't start!!

That is a great diagnostics process Mac! I got it running doing some of what you said before I read it. I took off the air filter cover plate and noticed that there was still a little water in there. I opened the butterflies and sprayed just a little starting fluid and after a couple tries, she fired up. She blew some smoke for a little bit and I had to hold the throttle open, but after a few minutes idled on her own. I shut it down and then started her back up and did a 25 minute ride and all seemed well. I'm going to go back and check out some of the things everyone's suggested, but at least it looks like I'll be able to leave on my trip Saturday. I know I didn't get much water on the filter and I don't know how it affected the bike so badly since there's no way any got into the throttle body, but I'm going to wrap that thing up with lots of plastic whenever I wash her again (IF I ever wash her again...).

Old 08-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Bike won't start!!

Don't wash it again with the open filter on if you are gonna use that much water. Get a dog toy ball or some toy ball or some foam and stuff that in over the throttle plates. No sence soaking a filter with water, while that shouldn't really hurt.

I would have liked better answers, but such as it is i think you somehow managed to pool water in the intake and at every start attempt you watered the plugs.

That ain't gonna cut it.

You have it dried out now with that ride i bet.

Please get that other battery back and get that charger. Use it!!!!! Run that charger non stop on the old battery for 10 hours. Then some how add a load, old pair of head lights anything like passing lamps 2 lamps at 55 watts each one lamp at 100 watts anything for i hour.

Take a reading then allow 24 hours no charging and take another reading. I want to know if that battery can recover.

It's like this.
My loving bride took my cage one day so i could work on hers. She went 40 miles from where we lived at the time and did a job offer and spent 4 hours there, after leaving my cages 4 lamp system on hi beams.

She came out and tried to start my cage and it refused. Clicked like mad and failed to turn the engine 1 inch.

I told her to make sure everything else was OFF and pocket the keys go shopping or something, I was coming.

When I arrived i was horrified to see the hood up and her and another woman standing around with jumper cables! Neither of them knew squat.

My wife started in with The I am so sorry BS women do when they don't mean it

She told me hat I knew already her cage shut off the lights with the keys.

I smiled politley at the other gal, and got in my car and started it up! In the 45 minutes it took me to go 40 miles my cage came back up and recovered.

Since your battery was down some it may not have been recovered as tested. A real test must be off a charged battery, at least an attempt to have been charged.

NOW!!!! if you said the last several times i went to go ride and my clock needed to be re-set and the trip meter was always reading 0.00, then maybe i would buy you needed a new battery.

AND!!!!!!!! If you will go drop 20 bucks for that auto float ANTI SULFATION charger, you might get a lot more time from all and every battery you run off that charger.

LIKE!!!!!!!! The battery in my cage is pre 2002. I don't know how long before that time i bought it, but it was a long time. It has over spray paint from when i painted the cage in 2002, and thats how I know it has been there ever since.

That car sat out in a field from July 05 till May mid month 06 because my wife and i toured the USA on a Nomad. The car sat in NH all winter parked on a tarp in a field.

That battery started that car right up. The clutch was froze and a brake caliper was seized and the fuel line rusted to weeping, even the gas was stale, but it ran. It still is there and still is used.

err... I am a x foreign car tech....

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #21

Bike won't start!!

I use a plastic stretch on salad bowl cover from Zip Loc to cover my air filter when washing.
A couple times Ive soaked it and had problems starting it, I just give it a blast of starting fluid and it fires right up.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #22

Bike won't start!!

Ringadingh - Now you tell me!!! Just kidding, but at least I know what happened and how to avoid it again.

Mac, unfortunately, I left the old battery at the dealer to recycle and it's already gone. I learned my lesson on this one. I will definitely heed your advice with the new one I've got now as soon as I'm back from my trip. I still believe a new battery was in my not-too-distant-future, but I'll know what to do this time around. Thanks for your help!

Old 08-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #23
Sr. Contributor

Bike won't start!!

I think a new battery was in your future too, but never the less sometimes if you follow my advice you can save some beer money. I try to save you guys money, and at the same time not be a friggin know it all.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #24

Bike won't start!!

And you do a pretty darn good job at it - I for one appreciate it!