Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-17-2010, 10:23 PM   #1

Bike won't start!!

So I started the bike and moved it to wash it, washed it like I always do, and then it wouldn't start. That was on Sunday and today I put in brand new spark plugs and it still won't start! What do I check first?
The bike turns over but won't catch.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-17-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Bike won't start!!

Basics. Fuel, spark, air. Got fuel? Can you test for spark? Check the Kill, kickstand, clutch switches. A hint is that you washed the bike. Water and electronics/wiring don't mix. check fuses and unplug, dry and reconnect connectors.

How well does it turn over? A weak battery can have enough to crank but not enough to add fire. Good battery connections?

VBA 00735
VROC 28102

2008 KVN MOB & NS

The only hand-held device that should be legal to use while driving is the STEERING WHEEL!

Old 08-17-2010, 10:56 PM   #3

Bike won't start!!

Plenty of fuel in the tank. Pulled a plug and tried starting - I saw spark. Seems to turn over as strong as always, just not catching. I'm thinking it has to do with the washing, but I do have the stock battery (2002) so I may just change that out.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #4

Bike won't start!!

Wow, 8 years out of a battery is a long life. I got a year and a half out of my stock sparker.
I had to charge the battery yesterday after leaving the key on when I got back from a ride during the day. Went inside and came out an hour later and it was graveyard dead. DOH!!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Bike won't start!!

LW get that battery on a Shumaker auto float anti sulfation pulse charger $20.00 at walley world. You might recover that battery easy. Everyone here by now should have one of these chargers hooked up to their bike any time they are not riding or parked at work.

Just because you dragged a battery down to no charge, doesn't mean it is a boat anchor.
.................................................. .................................................. ................. ..............................

shnyrog, You got water into something for sure. Under the right cover with the screw there is the start relay and it has it's own 30 amp fuse. You might check that.

Check a plug for spark on the ft and rr clyinder too. Be sure to pull one plug each from the engine and then crank the bike over a few beats too.

Check the 2 plugs deep in wells for water in there, get any water out of these wells right rear and left front before you pull those plugs.

Also pull off all 4 plug wires and peel off the rubber resistor caps. They come off. Look inside the resistors for crudlings and with carb cleaner and Q-Tips clean any crudling out of there. Add a anti water displacer in there too.

When the key goes on, do you hear the fuel pump spin up. 2002 bikes so far as I know are all injected.

As a dead last resort mist a little ether engine starter into the plug holes as you install the last 2 plugs and see if the engine starts then. Heat will help drive off excess moistures.

But it is far better to find what is still wet, since if water invaded something sealed that water will eat and corrod metals as it will have a bad time getting out.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #6

Bike won't start!!

Thanks Mac, I charged it for a couple of hours and she cranked up fine. Not sure which charger I have, but it came from wallyworld. I rode her around for a while and put her away. SHe fired off this morning for the ride to work.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:11 AM   #7

Bike won't start!!

Mac, I'll check those items. Still hoping it's just the battery though...

Old 08-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Bike won't start!!

Could be the battery. If iit is suspect and you haven't had it on the charger I mentioned a lot, it just might be.

There is all mannor of thing stealing/robbing juice with the turn of the key.

To find out remove the seat and hook up a volt meter.

Take that reading if the battery is great it will be 12.8 volts. If the battery is good it will be 12.6 volts, if the battery is ok it will be 12.4 volts. nothing less.

Leaving the meter installed try and start the engine watching the meter. Be in Neutral and have the ft brake ON.
This adds a light in a few measely watts, no big deal.

As the engine cranks you do not want to read less than 10.5 volts. 9.5 is minimum.

'IF' the engine starts you should see cold system readings in the high 14's+ after a start attempt, and in 30 or so minutes a drop to low 14's 'IF passing lamps are not ON.

IF passing lamps are on anything over 13.4 is acceptable.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-18-2010, 07:29 PM   #9

Bike won't start!!

Well I took the battery to the dealer and their device said it wasn't able to hold a charge. I'm picking up a new battery tomorrow and I'll try that out. I figure I've gotten a lot of time out of the battery so it's a little insurance at the least to get a new one. I just hope that does the trick and I don't spend the next few days checking every single wire.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Bike won't start!!

If you have a choice of batteries, an AGM battery would be a good choice. I think you got lucky getting 7+ years out of the OEM. WM sells AGM Motorcycle Batts. You will pay premium for a Yuasa battery at the dealer. If there is an interstate dealer nearby call them as well. The dealer would be my last option. JM2C.

VBA 00735
VROC 28102

2008 KVN MOB & NS

The only hand-held device that should be legal to use while driving is the STEERING WHEEL!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Bike won't start!!

They have a pro load tester. You can use the bike as a looad tester. Each time you press the start button the starter snags around 365 amps, from a 18 Ah (amp hour) battery.

I highly suggest you get a Shumaker Charger at walley world for 20 bucks. This is a new type abut 8 months in the market and is the very best charger you can get in 1.50 amps application.

It comes with 2 sets of pig tails. One set can be used on most any car or truck easy, the other set ends in a 2 prong connector you should hard wire to the battery direct.

The new style poig tail is fairly long and this makes it easy to locate it where ever it will reach.

My prefered location is straight forward and down to the wire retainer where the fuel drain tubing goes. Out of sight, and a cleanest possible look with out marring any paint on either side cover.

If you use this you may see another battery go 8 years +. When mine isn't on my bike it is on any other vehical of several. But it lives on the bike each night and all winter it's on the batter in the cellar.

Winter in NH is hard on batterys not in use, and hard on seat vinals which come in.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #12

Bike won't start!!

Bought a battery for my son's 900 classic LT from Apex for $57.95 with free shipping. Below is the link for a 1500 Nomad battery with free shipping.

http://www.apexbattery.com/kawasaki-...le-batter.html

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 08-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #13

Bike won't start!!

The dealer ended up having another brand battery $30 cheaper than Yuasa so I'm going to try it. I was looking for one online but I have a bit of a time crunch - I'm leaving on a one week ride this Saturday. If the new battery doesn't solve my problem, my trip is in dire jeopardy. I'll know more today at lunchtime.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:17 PM   #14

Bike won't start!!

OK, so the battery didn't solve anything. It still cranks, I hear the fuel pump whine, but it won't start! Nothing looks out of sorts with the wiring at the computer. I just put on an open filter intake from Chuckster - would any water getting on the filter cause this? I know some got on it, but not much...

Old 08-19-2010, 04:51 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Bike won't start!!

Did the bike ever back fire or spit back into the air cleaner?

And if you tossed that battery out go get it back. Go get the shumaker charger and hook that battery up.
Get a mulitmeter and a ice pic test light.

And who installed the new intake filter and it's set up?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac