Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #1

electrical Draw/aux lights

I am putting 55 watt bulbs in my aux lights and I have a relay that I scrounged out of a old van, the plan is to use the aux wire (blue & White) in the headlight pot to provide power for the lights and trigger the relay with the low beam wire on the headlight so when my low beams are on my aux lights are on.
i was reading through the manual the other day and right there on page 65 it says " Do not connect more than 70 Watts of total load to the vehicle's electrical system or the battery may become discharged, even with the engine running."
I am no electrician but my way of thinking is that 2 -55 watt bulbs are 110 watts plus the headlight, taillight, fuel pump....etc.
according to the manual IMHO the system has very little room for accessories.
I know that lots of you have aux lights among other things on you bikes and have had for some time so I am sure there is no issue with putting them on do you think the manual should have read 70 amps?

Thanks
Jim

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc
I am putting 55 watt bulbs in my aux lights and I have a relay that I scrounged out of a old van, the plan is to use the aux wire (blue & White) in the headlight pot to provide power for the lights and trigger the relay with the low beam wire on the headlight so when my low beams are on my aux lights are on.
i was reading through the manual the other day and right there on page 65 it says " Do not connect more than 70 Watts of total load to the vehicle's electrical system or the battery may become discharged, even with the engine running."
I am no electrician but my way of thinking is that 2 -55 watt bulbs are 110 watts plus the headlight, taillight, fuel pump....etc.
I know that lots of you have aux lights among other things on you bikes and have had for some time so I am sure there is no issue with putting them on do you think the manual should have read 70 amps?

Thanks
Jim
Run a dedicated, fused 12v+ line from the battery to a relay to power the lights, use the low beam to trigger the relay, if that's how you want to do it. DO NOT USE the blue/white to power these lights. These bikes can handle the load, but the stock wiring can't handle the load you are planning to add.

You seem to have watts/amps confused. 70 watts is nothing, 70 amps is a lot.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #3

Hooking 55 watt lights up to the Aux power connector is approaching the theoretical limit of the 10 Amp circuit. The simple formula is, watts/volts= amps. You could be tempted to use 12 volts in the calculation but the bike should be running at 13.8 volts or so constant. So, 110watts/13.8volts=8 Amps. With a relay triggered by your low beam or running light wire, the circuit should stand up if no other draw is placed on it.

Keep in mind that the Aux power connector under the seat is on the same 10 amp circuit.

If you are planning to add more "stuff" at some point, I highly recommend installing a 20 amp fuse line to the battery and finding a place for a 6 point buss. That way you can add circuits without worrying about taxing the bikes OEM electrics. You are adding peace of mind and avoiding problems that are hard to diagnose after they happen.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 03-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc
i was reading through the manual the other day and right there on page 65 it says " Do not connect more than 70 Watts of total load to the vehicle's electrical system or the battery may become discharged, even with the engine running.[/b]"

Thanks
Jim

Run a dedicated, fused 12v+ line from the battery to a relay to power the lights, use the low beam to trigger the relay, if that's how you want to do it. DO NOT USE the blue/white to power these lights. These bikes can handle the load, but the stock wiring can't handle the load you are planning to add.

[b]You seem to have watts/amps confused. 70 watts is nothing, 70 amps is a lot.

I don't think that I have my watts/amps confused I was thinking that Kawasaki had there watts amps confused.
as was said 70 watts is nothing thats why I am questioning the manual.

I have it all hooked up now and didn't even have to cut into any wires.

Thanks
Jim

Old 03-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
Top Contributor

The owners manual does say to only add 70 watts in accessories. I believe that is the lawyers talking. The alternator is rated at 42 amps at 14 volts. That equates to 588 total watts the system can produce.

I agree with cactusjack about the method to hook up lights with 110 watts of draw. That is a lot of current to be drawing through the aux connection in the headlight bucket.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #6

Kawi is doing the CYA thing as most do. I did do a stator output calculation for the bike and there was far more headroom than that. I am running 55's for spots, a stereo and connections for power outlets front and rear, LEDs (low draw there). I still highly recommend using 20 amp fused line to the battery for most connections whether you use a power buss with fuses or in-line fuses for connections.

I also HIGHLY recommend a visible voltage meter. I have a Kuryakyn LED style and one that plugs into the power outlet in the front. What I watch for is a visible dip in the voltage output when sitting or stuck in traffic. That's why I have an in-line switch to the lightbar so I can switch off and on when I want to.

Yes and T-taps are your friend.

Ride safe JMC

Hammer aka CrocHammer
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 03-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Do NOT use that white/blue wire for any of this.. Not with 110 watts, relay or no relay. Relay or no relay you will fru the fuse box and may fry the ignition switch. Do what Cj says.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 03-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #8

Hammer's suggestion of adding a visible volt meter is excellent. I have the same LED meter he's talking about (Kuryakyn 4219).

I am running 55W ambers on my spots and am always showing green (charging) on the meter.
Patriot Guard
Kawanow #263 (November 2007)
262 Prior Posts

Old 03-28-2010, 11:55 PM   #9

Yes that's the one I have stuck to the fairing. The other looks like this one that I plug into the power outlet on my handle bars. I can also plug into the car and have an adapter that I can check with the probe ends what's coming off other batteries or charging systems.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 03-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
Advanced Member

I have 55w spots on mine tied into the front turn/signal lights and have never blown a fuse or melted anything with no relay or inline fuse its been 3 1/2 years and 38k.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirello
I have 55w spots on mine tied into the front turn/signal lights and have never blown a fuse or melted anything with no relay or inline fuse its been 3 1/2 years and 38k.......... YET
There I fixed that for ya!

You might run that around 1/2 hour some time, and feel that old fuse. I pray it's cool to the touch.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it