Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-10-2009, 06:29 AM   #16

Nomad at a Harley dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
If anyone should know it's DAVE!!! Hopefully Greg's is 'house broken'
Yes it's housebroken!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-10-2009, 08:14 AM   #17

Nomad at a Harley dealer

Greg, so what got you pointed in the Harley direction?

Were you already thinking about a switch at Custer? Hit you on the way home? Got caught in the dealers tractor beam and it pulled you in?

I know Harley makes a good bike, so no problem there. Just curious where the fork in the road happened.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #18

Nomad at a Harley dealer

An Ultra will be my next bike too.Although it will be a couple of years down the road.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #19

Nomad at a Harley dealer

Hey GL that's nice to hear. Here the HD dealer has a seperate building they call the Pre-Owned Center. They only have new bikes on the showroom floor. You have to travel across the lot (over 200 yards) from the front door to the pre-owned building. And nothing there that ain't HD or Buell. It's nice to see some respect for the Nomad.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #20

Nomad at a Harley dealer

I'm with you Greg - Don't take too much grief

Guys, I also haven't "drank the Kool-Aid" but I can tell you that the '09 Ultra is an incredible bike. Ask Greg, Coon and Myself. I've ridden all my life and after taking the Ultra out for a test ride, I had to have it. It's simple as that.

My Nomad was a wonderful bike, I was very proud of it and the way it looked and performed. I had finally gotten it to where everything was done and just needed new skins...then I rode the Ultra. Motorcycles have always been a very emotional purchase. You can talk about how economical they are and how you don't have to deal with maintenance like Harleys - I would agree, but I'll call BS when I see it...each of us could live without a bike, but when you ride one that pulls at your heart, you are lost and might as well give up and give in.

Each bike I have owned was the "perfect" bike at that time in my life and each bike I sold was replaced by the next "perfect" bike. I am sure the Ultra will follow the same path. BUT, I would ask that you give your fellow riders some credit...the Ultras we bought don't leak oil and haven't broke down on the side of the road and I have gotten SO many complements on this new ride... Everyone, just enjoy the ride!

Now...to get you'all going again, I performed all the maintenance on all my past bikes, but this one intimidates me. Probably because of the cost of the bike - heck, it was more than my car. BUT...the 1000k maintenance at Mancuso's Crossroads runs $418

That ought to make you Nomad owners happy

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #21

Nomad at a Harley dealer

One more item of interest...those rims - you see them on Greg's and my pictures...they are terrible to clean (and I don't clean my bikes hardly ever) - the 2010 rims are the same but chrome so they should be easier - I've given up already.

Finally, some mo at the Motor Company decided that valve stems should be straight, not 90 degree. THAT was the first cussing my new bike got.

Other than that, I'm very satisfied. And fwiw, they are dealing pretty well these days on HDs

Old 08-10-2009, 12:49 PM   #22

Nomad at a Harley dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)

OK, I'll go along with the fact it smooths out on acceleration.
But that shaking at a stop is no illusion. That is shaking. I have seen Harleys at stop lights and the air cleaner looks like it is going to rattle its way right off the engine.
It is your choice to ride a Hog and it makes no difference to me. I just wanted to set the record straight. ;)
Have you been on an '09?

If not; you may be surprised at how much the shaking you are referriing to IS an illusion. What you are seeing is not felt by me while on the bike like you would think -- or as I would have thought. My bike is a smooth riding bike -- otherwise my wife would have vetoed the purchase, believe me. All I can tell you is what I experience with MY bike.

So... no offense... but I see a lot of misinformation about HD's all the time and thought I would set the record straight from my perspective.
No offense taken Greg,
I didn't know what you meant by "the shaking is an illusion"
I thought you were saying it really wasn't shaking, it just looked like it was. I knew it was actually shaking, not just my imagination.
I guess you meant , it was shaking at a stop but it goes unfelt by the rider. I can't verify that but I will take your word for it.
Hope you and the wife enjoy many happy miles on the new purchase.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 08-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #23

Nomad at a Harley dealer

Quote:
it was shaking at a stop but it goes unfelt by the rider. I can't verify that but I will take your word for it.
You can feel it slightly - it is not annoying and as has been pointed out, it smooths out immediately

It's the rubber isolating mounts I guess.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #24
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Nomad at a Harley dealer

Keep us posted as to how much you like it. It seems that you are happy and that is the important thing. I am happy with my Nomad and at my age it will probably be my last bike. After all at 62 and will be 63 in November, how many more riding years can I expect.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 08-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #25

Nomad at a Harley dealer

;) No offense to anyone, but I sat on a ultra Classic on Saturday and I can definitely say it didn't feel as comfortable as the Nomad. Didn't drive it tho. My next one was going to be a "Wing" but am still toying with the idea of an Ultra! I like the accesories on them! Just my thoughts!! Just ride!!

Old 08-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #26

Nomad at a Harley dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
If anyone should know it's DAVE!!! Hopefully Greg's is 'house broken'
The euphemism!

I love the 09 ultra. As soon as I roll on the throttle, it's smooth. Greg make sure to get the high end J&M speakers for you helmet. They're worth it vs the ones that come with the bike.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #27

Nomad at a Harley dealer

Doc: The bill for the 1,000 mile check-up (has to be done to stay in warranty) is listed at $275 at Kegal Harley in Rockford. I did -- and did not have to pay that price.

I got a discount to $175 for that check-up -- HOWEVER, I also switched to synthetic oil and tranny fluid. That costs more. I changed-out the breather to a hi-flow breather -- that cost more. I had the bike re-mapped for fuel management -- that costs more. Overall... the bill was rather steep... around $575 in total if I remember. Otherwise... like I said... it would have been $175.

One added thing they did for me for no charge was to "un-program" all of my radio equipment, clock, and etc. which I now have to re-do. Real nice of them to do that I must say.

One thing for certain is that my Nomad was less expensive to maintain. You guys can be thankful for that.

TC: I wasn't denying the bike looks like it shakes... and it does at a stop... it is just that MINE doesn't rattle your teeth out as it might look. The two items that look like they shake the most are the horn and the air-intake -- which gives it a more dramatic look as if it will knock you off the bike if you wait too long. I know some others do seem to knock the rider around a bit; but mine in not a problem on that issue at all. So... absolutely no longer a real issue regarding whether one should or should have one. (I am speaking of the Ultra-Classic only which has had quite a few major changes in '09 from previous years.)

As mentioned by Mikesth; the straight tire air-valve is a "genius" idea. Wonder what engineer came up with that one? Probably the marketing department did so I'll go and buy a new one from them later!! Ha! Don't think that I am not suspecting them of pulling that stunt! And the rims; while looking very nice; are a complete pain to clean. I have practically given up on mine. At least the part that isn't exposed when I do clean them. I just have to hope that part of the rim is exposed on the next cleaning otherwise parts of them are not going to ever be touched!

Dan; I posted on our regional board my reasons. There were far too many to re-post here; but in brief I was starting to look for more of a "dresser-style" bike that I didn't have to put-together. A "dresser" fits more of the style of riding my wife and I do -- long days of riding long-distances.

I looked very, very hard at the Voyager; and all the others brands to include the Goldwing. Didn't like the Goldwing for my stature (I am too short for it even when lowered). There were many other reasons as well -- which disappointed me since I really like the whole idea of the Goldwing.

I am hesitant to speak about the Voyager here; so let's just say that it was "in the running, but didn't make the cut". The main reason it didn't make the cut was that it didn't feel as good as the Ultra (remember my Ultra has been lowered 3"). Maybe if the Voyager was lowered (if possible) it might have had more of a chance.

The only other metric "dresser" option didn't make the cut either when compared to the Ultra's feel for me.

When all other comparisons were made; the final decision was made based on the following two points:

1st: How each of the bikes handled at slow/critical speeds. The Ultra won hands-down for me. The new frame and the lowering-kit made that bike a dream to control at the slowest of speeds while fully loaded.

2nd: The deal I was offered on the bike. If that had not occurred I would not have bought it -- period.

Abbo: That's why they make all kinds of bikes. I can't say that there is a perfect bike anywhere -- although the Nomad has a lot of points going for it to make it a contender for one. I, personally, loved my Nomad. It took me to a lot of great places with complete reliability and comfort -- that's a fact that cannot be denied.

To the original point of this thread:

My Nomad evidently sold as it was no longer on the showroom floor among the new Roadkings. Actually, it was kind of sad to see my Nomad there on the showroom floor the other day. In hind sight... I just should have kept the bike for no more than they gave me for it. My wife agrees. But it is too late... as they have a buyer for it.

But one thing for sure... as the Harley dealer's manager said... it's a great bike and it will sell fast. He was correct on both statements.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 08-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #28

Nomad at a Harley dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesth
BUT...the 1000k maintenance at Mancuso's Crossroads runs $418

That ought to make you Nomad owners happy
I thought Westminster HD corn-cobbed me @ $375. One thing that you failed to mention, unlike the all black Nomads, the two tone silver and white Ultras are faster than the black Ultras!!

Old 08-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #29
Advanced Member

Nomad at a Harley dealer

I love my Nomad, but it's all about the open road and two wheels. I respect everyone's choice in what they ride. The 2009 tour models changed drastically for the better. Changed frames and exhaust set-ups making a better ride for the rider and passenger. I ride with a lot of Harley riders and we are always switching bikes on the road and I will tell you there is a huge difference in shaking at a stop between a 2002 and a 2009 Road King. And that 96 ci pulls nice no matter if your on a Street Bob, Street Glide or an Ultra. So enjoy Greg and hang around and let us know how it goes. My only comment is that are you going to synthetic a little early. I thought they wanted to get at east 6,000 miles on Dino oil first?

Old 08-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #30

Nomad at a Harley dealer

Psycho: I didn't know anything about waiting on syn-oil. Now you have me worried somewhat. Everything I have read said I could... but again; I am a dumb-sh!t when it comes to mechanical work. All I ever say (as I did to the HD dealer today) -- I'll expect your best work for which I am willing to pay a fair; if not a premium, price. But as soon as I find out I have been screwed I'll use every resource I have to make sure your business suffers; because I know a lot of people and have the resources to spread the word to them quickly. (There are multiple dealer choices around our area, to which they do not want to lose business to.)

Dave; You are really confused partner! Black is the fastest for all vehicles!!

PS: Dave those speakers were a gift from my dealer; I already have them now!! Just joking. I'll check into them. Thanks for the heads-up on that; and a couple other things BD has forwarded to me from you. ;)

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417