Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-27-2008, 11:00 PM   #1

new 02 owner with a couple ?'s

i just picked up an 02 with 26,000 miles.
1. the front brake lever seems to pull pretty far back the pads look good i havent got a chance to really check everything out im not off until mon. so i will check the fluid but is this normal or should it be pretty stiff i have it set on 5 and can pull it back far enough to only fit a finger between it and the grip

2 it seems to idle a little low its fi so is there anyway to adjust idle without a feul processor

3 while riding the super slab hitting a few bumps i notice kind of a knocking noise i cant pinpoint it and i dont seem to have any play in the frontend that may indicate a bad bearing any suggestions. thanks for any help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-27-2008, 11:53 PM   #2

Not sure on the first two items.

You might be getting the clunk from the wiring in the headlight housing check out this page: http://gadgetjq.com/didyouknow.htm

Old 09-28-2008, 12:37 AM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Welcome to the Nomad Nation from the Grand Canyon State!
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-28-2008, 01:03 AM   #4

Blaster,
Welcome to the N'ad House. I hope that you get your questions answered. If you start looking at a lot of the older threads here in the Garage, you might find what you are looking for. I hope that helps,
Rich

Old 09-28-2008, 01:34 AM   #5
Advanced Member

On the idle question, down about 9 oclock position on the right air filter housing there is an idle adjustment screw that has a black knob on the end of it, THAT is your idle speed adjustment set screw. You may have to look for it behind the filter housing, but it should be down there somewhere............-Rich

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-28-2008, 01:36 AM   #6
Advanced Member

P.S. Welcome from Northern California...

Old 09-28-2008, 02:05 AM   #7

thanks for the replys and the welcome.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:16 AM   #8

Welcome blasterdude from NW. Georgia. about your questions, the numbers on the brake lever won't make it pull any more or less depending on the settings, all they are for is so you can adjust the distance from the grip to the lever for your own comfort range/reach. Mine does seem like it comes WAY back and soft, but they work great. the other guys have already filled in about the idle, and the clunk noise.
It is a good idea to change your brake and clutch fluid every 2 years though. Ride safe and keep the shiny side up.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 09-28-2008, 11:43 AM   #9

Welcome from Woosta MA!!! Pull up a chair, the beer is in the fridge. You'll recognize some of the names around here...

Old 09-28-2008, 12:58 PM   #10

WELCOME from MAINE,, The Clunk noise from a bump is common in most cases.. I have a light bar relay in the head light , I thik that is my clunk.. The idle screw will move easier if you un hook it from the bracket,,It looks like it on a J type hook, Idle about 900/1000 RPMs

Old 09-28-2008, 05:45 PM   #11

i adjusted the idle and that is good to go now. i think ill leave well enough alone as far as the clunk for now i think you guys have pinpointed it in the headlight bucket and its not a must fix so ill leave it for a rainy day. the brakes work good i guess i was just used to a stiff lever i may go ahead and change the brake fluid just to be on the safe side. now i have found a new possible problem. while looking things over today i noticed a little dried looking oil on the left side. its were the left side cover bolts to the crankcase. its dried i dont know how i didnt notice it when looking at the bike before purchase but im hoping it was a little spilled oil that wasnt cleaned up. all in all the bike is in excellent shape and runs great and came with a lot of add ons. im gonna clean it up real well polish everything up and see if i actually have an oil leak or not if so i looked on bikebandit and the gasket is only like 12 bucks and there appears to be an oil seal there also thats like 3 bucks so if its leaking ill change both out. i think im gonna go ahead and change the clutch spring also but im not sure which spring it is does anyone know the part # and or price. thanks for all the help

volusia i have noticed a few familiar names.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #12
Advanced Member

blasterdude
...welcome to the forum. Nomads are great bikes and you are gonna love it! Not sure if you have heard of Gadget's site. Lots of good info for our bikes there! Here's the link for it!
http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm

.....this particular page of Gadgets deals with clutch springs. This will help you with some good tips and part numbers. Good luck with your repairs! :)
http://www.gadgetjq.com/clutch_spring_replacement.htm

Mike

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"