Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-23-2008, 06:53 AM   #1

Need Some Sage Advice

I own a 2002 Nomad with 13,000 miles on it. I have been considering either keeping it or selling it and buying new in a year or so. It could be a touch longer as my wife makes me pay cash for all my toys. :)

If I kept it I wanted to paint the entire bike a Pearl white. I am always looking for projects to keep me busy in retirement so this was an idea of mine. But I keep stumbling on this idea of the repaint.

Mom Kaw only made this color combo ( champagne & beige ) one year and that was in 2002. I don;t think they are rare but you do not see a whole lot of these bikes around so I felt I would be better off leaving it the color combo it is for resale purposes down the road.

Do any of you feel the color change would effect the resale value of the bike if I did paint it and then sell it to buy new a year or so
later ?

Thanks for any advice or tips,

Chris

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-23-2008, 08:10 AM   #2

Need Some Sage Advice

Not that I am a sage, but in my opinion - Unless it turns out real special, I don't think a repaint will add much if anything to the value. Like most things we do to these bikes, it is for the current owner and you probably won't get much of the cost back unless it makes a certain connection with the buyer

Old 09-23-2008, 08:14 AM   #3

Need Some Sage Advice

Like Ells, I'm no sage. But to answer your question if I understand it. Though that original color was a rare and pretty one, I don't think you'll lose any value if you paint it a color you prefer until you sell if the paint job is done right.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:18 AM   #4

Need Some Sage Advice

While out riding this past weekend and running slowly through a lakeside town, there was this huge HD bagger of some kind, only got a quick look but it was stark white and man did the wife and I talk about how sharp this bike was. I can imagine a Nomad in white.
'01 1500FI Nomad, traded 9/12
Also '02 Honda Sabre
Kawanow #826

Old 09-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #5

Need Some Sage Advice

The herb sage is considered to have a slight peppery flavour. In Western cooking it is used for flavouring fatty meats (esp as a marinade), cheeses and some drinks. In the United States, Britain and the Flanders, sage is used with onion for poultry or pork stuffing and in sauces.

Sorry.....couldn't resist.

I must agree with Ells...unless it comes out real good I wouldn't mess with it...the champagne/beige just being used one year makes it pretty unique (I think it is a pretty color too).
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-23-2008, 08:56 AM   #6

Need Some Sage Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwind2

I must agree with Ells...unless it comes out real good I wouldn't mess with it...the champagne/beige just being used one year makes it pretty unique (I think it is a pretty color too).
This is also whats bugging me. To me it seems unique too as I have seen very few around. I have had a lot of compliments from the biker community on the color combo and it always seems to be the same statement - Wow, you don;t see this color combo to often.

I have kept this bike pristine and am having a hard time with the knowledge that if I paint it, it will lose its resale value because I messed with a unique stock color that was available only one year.

Thanks for the input so far.

Chris

Old 09-23-2008, 09:11 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Need Some Sage Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misunderstood
Like Ells, I'm no sage. But to answer your question if I understand it. Though that original color was a rare and pretty one, I don't think you'll lose any value if you paint it a color you prefer until you sell if the paint job is done right.
mojo
I agree you have a very nice colour combo. I also have seen some bikes painted white and really liked it. If the paint job is done well, and I'm sure you would see to it that it was, I don't think it will effect the resale value down the road. If the bike is well looked after, a buyer will see that. If it makes you happy, then do it!!!! :)

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Old 09-23-2008, 10:13 AM   #8

Need Some Sage Advice

Now that thar is some "sage advice" ;) Down thar vvvvvvv, I'm psychic

Old 09-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #9

Need Some Sage Advice

I don't even know what sage advice means so my opinion may not be worth much :-/
I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the sage definition unwind2 gave ;)
I'm having my Nomad painted this winter. Mine is black and silver. You see a million of them this color. I am having it painted a two tone combination that I have never seen on a Nomad. I am doing this because I want mine to be different than everyone Else's. I'm not worried about resale value because I bought and ride this bike for ME.
I don't think repainting will affect the value at all as long as it is a professional job. Most people don't know what colors came on what years anyway.
If you are repainting to make yourself happy, go for it.
If you are repainting so you will have a unique color Nomad, then don't. You already have a unique color Nomad.

VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #10

Need Some Sage Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
I don't even know what sage advice means so my opinion may not be worth much :-/
I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the sage definition unwind2 gave ;)
I'm having my Nomad painted this winter. Mine is black and silver. You see a million of them this color. I am having it painted a two tone combination that I have never seen on a Nomad. I am doing this because I want mine to be different than everyone Else's. I'm not worried about resale value because I bought and ride this bike for ME.
I don't think repainting will affect the value at all as long as it is a professional job. Most people don't know what colors came on what years anyway.
If you are repainting to make yourself happy, go for it.
If you are repainting so you will have a unique color Nomad, then don't. You already have a unique color Nomad.

Quoted before he deletes and changes it again, making me look like the fool that I am.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #11

Need Some Sage Advice

Mojo, I've got that same color also and love it - haven't seen any around here like it either. I figured that made it already sort of a "custom" paint job. One thing you could think about, and that I've been thinking about, is getting some nice pinstriping done - could look pretty sharp.
Also, paint your side covers to match if you haven't already, looks much better. Lastly, a new cool trend is the blackout treatment. You could black out your pipes, air covers, crash bars, etc and get a really cool look.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:37 AM   #12

Need Some Sage Advice

[/quote]
by Misunderstood

Quoted before he deletes and changes it again, making me look like the fool that I am.[/quote]

That's funny 395. Not trying to make anyone look foolish just sometimes hit post reply before I think it through :-[
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #13

Need Some Sage Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)

by Misunderstood

Quoted before he deletes and changes it again, making me look like the fool that I am.[/quote]

That's funny 395. Not trying to make anyone look foolish just sometimes hit post reply before I think it through :-[[/quote]

It's all good

Old 09-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #14
Top Contributor

Need Some Sage Advice

if ya wanna paint it, go for it. if not thats cool too. Do it for YOU.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #15

Need Some Sage Advice

Thanks to all of you. I guess I am a preservationist by nature. I love stock in some bikes and vehicles so I read all of your comments, which some made a lot of sense and decided................I just cannot do it.

I am leaving the paint alone and allow a new buyer who someday may purchase the bike to enjoy the uniqueness of the stock colors. IT would be a shame to cover up a color combo that Mom Kaw only offered once with the Nomad lineup.

What I may do if I sell this bike is buy an 09 black Nomad and then have it painted pearl white. :)

Thanks again everyone for your time and input.

Chris