Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 04-28-2009, 05:12 PM   #1

Looking for shade...

for my eyeballs. I'm somewhat blind and need to see even in the bright sunlight. I have just been wearing regular sunglasses and squinting hard to see for the past 8ish years. My eyesight isn't getting any better so I need another alternative. I have tried the clip ons and also tried finding some of those fishing sunglasses that fit over your regular eye glasses with no luck. Clip ons are too heavy and can't find the big fishing glasses to fit over my already wide glasses.
I had an eye exam yesterday and the doc told me that they can't make lenses for the wrap style glasses. I looked on line and there are places that claim that they can pull it off but I wanted to be sure before spending $200-300 on a pair.

Does or has anyone here used prescription sunglasses?
In general what does everyone use for eye sun wear besides squinting.
Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-28-2009, 06:00 PM   #2

Looking for shade...

I am required by my employer to wear safety glasses, and required by age (eye doc said "what do you expect, you're over 40?") to wear corrective lenses if I wish to see clearly. My employer provides my safety glasses, and not wanting to play musical eyewear games, I chose photogray lenses. While not perfect in the brightest conditions, they cut the number of pair that I have to keep up with down to one.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
Top Contributor

Looking for shade...

Stewdog,

I also wear prescription glasses. Also tried the clip on's and everything else. I finally went with a pair of sunglasses which are meant for outdoor use and for wind. Work good. They are not the wrap around (I can move my head for that).
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 04-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #4

Looking for shade...

I got mine RX sunglasses from Walmart, and I got the lenses that change color in the sunlight. They also had goggles, look in the sport glasses area

Old 04-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #5

Looking for shade...

I have Nike and Maui Jim (think that is what they are) RX sunglasses. They are both wrap around style. The Nike had a tendency for the lens to pop out, but that was easily fixed with some glue. Overall the are both great, and you would never know they are RX, but at some point the prescription becomes too much to work on these types of glasses.

You can also check out this company. I ordered a pair of "goggles" from them and they are not bad, and only $50 with my prescription. I think the glasses are shipped out of Hong Kong or China though.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki Nomad (sold)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
http://www.strobel.ws
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #6

Looking for shade...

Stewdog. I have tri-focal progressive lenses in all my glasses. I bought a pair of wrap-around "style" sunglasses with the tri-focal progressive and they work great.

There may be a few lenses that it cannot be done with; but they could with mine.

The cost is the problem... mine were nearly $500 -- but worth every penny for me.

Look around for other optometrists that can do it -- otherwise get a prescription and PM me so I can give you the name of my doctor and his lab. I only live about an hour's drive south of you in Roscoe, IL (5 minutes south of Beloit, WI).

PS: I ride quite frequently up your direction if you ever want to meet up and head west of Madison -- out into the country hillside. Beautiful riding in your area.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 04-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #7

Looking for shade...

My employer furnishes 1 pair of clear and 1 pair of prescription safety/sunglasses each year. My sunglasses are small wraparound bi-focals that shade my eyes well but don't protect from the wind very well. My eyes always dry out after riding a hundred miles or so. I am due for another pair but this time I will go with the photogray so I don't have to change back and forth when riding and going into a store or restaurant. Hard to read the menu with the dark glasses on.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 04-28-2009, 10:37 PM   #8

Looking for shade...

stewdogg, I don't know how bad your eyesight is but please don't try to ride that motorcycle in your sig line before you get someone to look at it for you. I think it is missing a few parts.

VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 04-28-2009, 10:41 PM   #9
Mega-Contributor

Looking for shade...

I wear contact lenses and RayBan aviators.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-28-2009, 11:40 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Looking for shade...

Lasix here. Ray Bans

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-29-2009, 08:06 AM   #11

Looking for shade...

I wear contacts but before I got them I wore some goggles over my glasses and that worked pretty well but got warm during summer.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #12

Looking for shade...

I sometimes wear prescription glasses to drive and read signs better, but not always. I've had tons of laser surgery on both eyes to stop retinal bleeding and this has left me very uneasy with bright light. The best sunglasess I have ever had are a pair of cheapie fit-over wraparounds from WalMart. Someone on here turned me onto them in a post and it's been the best $20 I've ever spent!
mike

Old 04-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #13

Looking for shade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
Stewdog. I have tri-focal progressive lenses in all my glasses. I bought a pair of wrap-around "style" sunglasses with the tri-focal progressive and they work great.

There may be a few lenses that it cannot be done with; but they could with mine.

The cost is the problem... mine were nearly $500 -- but worth every penny for me.

Look around for other optometrists that can do it -- otherwise get a prescription and PM me so I can give you the name of my doctor and his lab. I only live about an hour's drive south of you in Roscoe, IL (5 minutes south of Beloit, WI).

PS: I ride quite frequently up your direction if you ever want to meet up and head west of Madison -- out into the country hillside. Beautiful riding in your area.
Thanks
Did you get the frames from the doctors office or purchased the frames separately and had the doc only do the lenses? What is your prescription like? I have a pretty good astigmatism in my right eye (-3.00) and I'm finding that to be a difficult one to get made into sunglasses.
You should let me know when you will be up for a ride around the area. It would be great to meet some of the fine people of this site. It will be a week or two for me yet as my bike still looks like the pic in my sig line.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #14

Looking for shade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
stewdogg, I don't know how bad your eyesight is but please don't try to ride that motorcycle in your sig line before you get someone to look at it for you. I think it is missing a few parts.

That's why it won't start I knew there was something fishy going on that I couldn't see clearly.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #15

Looking for shade...

For those of you that wear contacts to ride do you have any issues with them moving or drying out due to the wind? That was another option for me but I'm not too sure about the extra hassle and money involved. I have also never worn contacts so...