Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-06-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
Advanced Member

How do you remove baffles from Baggers?

I have the V&H Baggers on my Nomad and am curious how it'd sound with the baffles removed. I know... "loud". But I want to experience "loud" and form my own opinion.

Are the baffles hard to remove? How does one go about doing it? Are they hard to re-install?

Thanks!
Daryl ???

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #2

Quote:
I have the V&H Baggers on my Nomad and am curious how it'd sound with the baffles removed. I know... "loud". But I want to experience "loud" and form my own opinion.

Are the baffles hard to remove? How does one go about doing it? Are they hard to re-install?

Thanks!
Daryl ???

Easy to remove...... 2 screws on back of pipes. Bafffes slide out. I took mine out and they were way too loud even for me. I cut them in half and put them back in with no packing. Perfect. Deepest, loudest around but not annoying like BD.

Nico

Old 01-06-2008, 06:16 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to donguer Send a message via Yahoo to donguer

I took mine out too. Not only loud but the resonance at the rear 3 inch ends gave me a headache not to mention it drove my fuel processor nuts. Revs were all over the place.
If I can find a pair of replacemnet baffles on the cheap I may give Nico's mod a shot. I put them back in. Decided i'd like to keep the friends and neighbors that I have.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #4

Quote:
I took mine out too. Not only loud but the resonance at the rear 3 inch ends gave me a headache not to mention it drove my fuel processor nuts. Revs were all over the place.
If I can find a pair of replacemnet baffles on the cheap I may give Nico's mod a shot. I put them back in. Decided i'd like to keep the friends and neighbors that I have.
You won't be disappointed.... just saw them half as long. A little deeper and rumblier.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
Advanced Member

OK, so I've unscrewed the two screws on the underside at the end of each exhaust tip, but how do I get the baffle out from there? Do I reach in with a needle nose plier and pull them out, or ??? It looks like they're welded to the inside of the exhaust pipe. Or is that just exhaust soot?

Thanks,
DS

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #6

Quote:
OK, so I've unscrewed the two screws on the underside at the end of each exhaust tip, but how do I get the baffle out from there? Do I reach in with a needle nose plier and pull them out, or ??? It looks like they're welded to the inside of the exhaust pipe. Or is that just exhaust soot?

Thanks,
DS

Plyers or what I did was take a little curved pry bar in the opening and pulled it out. It's not welded..... once I got it past the end of the pipe, I kinda tapped it out from underneath.... it'll come out!

Old 01-06-2008, 09:02 PM   #7
Top Contributor

SLIDE them out!

Old 01-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #8

Yeh... the carbon buildup makes it a little tough, but they do come out.... after I cut them in half, I used a little Vaseline that I borrowed from BD to slide them back in... ;)

Old 01-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #9
Top Contributor

just remove the hairs first ds thats very important right Nico.????

Old 01-06-2008, 09:36 PM   #10

Doc, have you been hanging around Beezer & Basco too much?? lol

Old 01-07-2008, 06:28 AM   #11
Advanced Member

Did you cut the baffles in half lengthwise so they are essentially the same length as original? Or, did you cut them in half so they are half the length as original? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I'd hate to do it wrong and find out afterward!

Thanks again,
Daryl

Quote:
[quote:3hk5yd0k]OK, so I've unscrewed the two screws on the underside at the end of each exhaust tip, but how do I get the baffle out from there? Do I reach in with a needle nose plier and pull them out, or ??? It looks like they're welded to the inside of the exhaust pipe. Or is that just exhaust soot?

Thanks,
DS

Plyers or what I did was take a little curved pry bar in the opening and pulled it out. It's not welded..... once I got it past the end of the pipe, I kinda tapped it out from underneath.... it'll come out!
[/quote:3hk5yd0k]

Old 01-07-2008, 10:03 AM   #12

Half the length......

Old 01-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to donguer Send a message via Yahoo to donguer

Quote:
[quote:m1ywvyf8]I took mine out too. Not only loud but the resonance at the rear 3 inch ends gave me a headache not to mention it drove my fuel processor nuts. Revs were all over the place.
You won't be disappointed.... just saw them half as long. A little deeper and rumblier. [/quote:m1ywvyf8]

Nico,
Cut in half and slide them back without any wrapping.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #14

Yup!

Old 01-07-2008, 08:51 PM   #15

I thought you were kidding when you wrote that you were going to cut the baffles in half in your V&H's? Mine were so loud out of the box, I thought the neighbors would complain.