Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
BD's a Darksider!!(Update)

After 5 1/2 hours of grueling labor BD's a Darksider! I did the complete rear end and driveshaft lube too.

Let me tell you, I ain't ever going to do it again!!! What a PIA to dismount and mount the tire & rim back on the bike! I'm going to be soaking in the hot tube tonight on drugs!!!! Did I mention grease? I smell like Honda Pro 60 moly! No wonder service shops charge an arm and a leg!! I struggled with that 185/75/16 tire and for a couple of fleeting moments thought is was too tall to fit I had that much trouble! But fit it does!!

Now the handling issue: I'm at 35 lbs air right now just for a starter. Since I didn't go super wide the bike still goes into turns easy enough. You can tell you have to give it a little extra muscle but when you come out a a turn it straightens out real quick.

Feels a little more "floating" sensation out back but I haven't had it on the highway yet. Did I say I needed a bath? shower and disinfectant?? I'll ride more later, right now I'm beat up!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
Top Contributor

ATTABOY!! Let us know the results.....gotta Fuente and Macanudo to demo tonight along with a keg........I'll send ya a pic!!!

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 04-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #3

Congrats on a job well done....I was wondering how that tire would look when I saw pictures of it. It looks great on the bike....good job!!

I think I may just copy and paste your post for my Dunlop install / rear service next weekend :-/

Have fun in the 'hot tube'???
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki Nomad (sold)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
http://www.strobel.ws
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 04-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #4

The tire looks good, Brad! Give us a report on some highway miles once you get disinfected!!!

Old 04-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #5

It looks good Brad; Youll probably have to take it out on the interstate and see how it feels at high speed. You also found out about removing the back wheel, thats what I mean when I say the swingarm and driveshaft service are easy once the back wheel is off. Thats the heaviest part of the job.
At least its done now, go light up a stogey, have a brandy and stare at your new back tire.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
Advanced Member

The tire looks great BD! 35 psi seems a little high to me, but each tire may be different. I ran mine at 27 psi for 10,000 miles and am trying 30 now to see how it feels. 27 was more better for normal riding, but 30 may be a little better for hard cornering and high speed. I still don't see any wear on the tire at over 11,000 miles.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:46 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

Congrats on the new rubber BD. It's hard to believe that you put enough miles on the bike to actually wear out a rear tire. Have you been renting it out?
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 04-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
Mega-Contributor

I think BD's got a Bridgestone with half the tread left on it in his garage.

Good work Brad! Getting the rear hub back on the splines is the toughest part of the job.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Shame on you Bud!!!

Yea getting the tire and hub back on is the WORST part. I don't know how some don't have to take off the left engine case cover or the left saddle back frame. I did or no amount of compressing was going to get the axle bolt to slide out!!!

Here's the "rub". Everything was covered in greese! My swingarm bearing and shaft had goober all over them. The U joint splines and joint was covered is some yellow clear looking sh*t but it was really covered well. Someone at MaKaw took pride in putting my Nad together I guess? Had I know I would have just changed the tire the lube was that good and liberally applied to everything!!

If your going to do the whole nine yards then get the Honda Pro 60 moly paste $9 for a tube. It's the best in the business behind the ultimate Krytox which is $80 for 3 ounces. Even BMW shop owners use Honda paste on the BMW's. 60% moly past will not run off. It will not flow at anything under about 500 degrees. The moly should stay on the splines for the life of the driveshaft.

Pablo, I'm running 35lbs because this is a light truck tire. Its rated to go as high as 70lbs and has a 2,000 load capacity. It's 8 ply as well and its as stiff as a board. With no air pressure and the bike off the rack sitting on the ground the tire looked like it had enough air!! It's that heavy duty of a tire! I could have never mounted it myself! Time will tell.....

The picture doesn't do the "curve" of the tire justice. The shop that dismounted my old tire and put the new tire on was curious as to what type of car tire this was because it does have a curve to it. I have 3 very deep grooves running around the circumference and if you look closely just outside the two outside groove is where you can see no scuffing. The tire has a 6 inch tread width but only about 4 inches actually are touching while going straight. the two outer sections beyond the outside grooves have a real nice curve to them! I have to lean the bike over for the outside rubber to touch the ground.

Thanks for the attaboys......... except you Bud!!!!!! LOL

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 04-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #10
Advanced Member

I like it. Like I said before, if I ever wear out the tire I've got, I may want to try this. I'm sure you'll keep us posted on your experience with this tire.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #11

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC

Good Grief BD! I just left a glowing review on the other thread telling strobe how satisfying it is to mount and dismount a tire. I hope he enjoys it as much as I did. 'Cuase I made a hard sell. Or maybe I'm as weird as EVERYBODY keeps telling me! ???

Valvoline is some serious paste to. I did my swing arm lube last January and I got a kick out of that to. It still smells the same as when I put it on.

I know your going to enjoy it, just be careful in that city traffic. Here in the hills we kin ride for hunerds of miles and never even see a city if we don't want to.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 04-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Took it out to the highway just a while ago. Had it up to 75mph. Is is different at time and other times I forget about it. I know all car tires have a breakin period and motorcycles have a "sweet spot". I will be experimenting with lower pressure tomorrow.

Here's another picture showing the roundness of the tire

Member # 0005

Old 04-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #13
Advanced Member

...That looks great BD! Wish I could put a car tire on. I'd be all over it if the wheel would handle it!

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Old 04-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

Okay Brad, if I make nice will you tell us the type and size of tire this is?
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 04-04-2009, 09:46 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

NO!

Member # 0005