Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-04-2009, 06:40 AM   #1

it really makes you appreciate it!

after having the new 1600 in the garage for about a month, I decided to take the trusty vulcan 750 out for the first stroll of the season.. This was my first bike, bought 3 years ago. Did everything I needed of it.. rode 2 up all over michigan and couldn't have been happier with it.. I swung my leg over and MAN... It literally felt like I was on a moped. I could not believe how much it felt like it shrunk in the little time I've spend on the nomad. after driving around town for about 45 minutes, it really sinks in how nice of a ride the nomad is. That bike just glides down the roads. I won't give up my 750 just yet.. One big difference, the 750 feels like I'm on a zero-turn mower in a parking lot!! Just thought I'd share that, don't know how many of you have multiple bikes or the chance to switch around but it was a really shocking experience. love the nomad.. I'm glad I found this site prior cause it really helped me with my decision..

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-04-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
Advanced Member

Know just how you feel, borto- this site was instrumental in my decision to purchase a Nomad.

Only have the Nomad right now- your thoughts on the older Vulcan bring back memories of my mid 80's bikes- a Honda Shadow and a Magna. Man those were popular bikes in their day!

Do you think the '09 Vulcans are going to get your attention or are you confident with your purchase of the 'old' body style?

Old 04-04-2009, 09:32 AM   #3

borto1990, Know exactly what you mean. I switch back and forth with an VN800 for various reasons but it sure does emphasize the quality of the Nomad ride when I do. 800 is easier in and out of the garage, partly because the parking arrangement, and more economical but that is about it even the the 800 was my first bike and at one time thought it was the greatest thing on two wheels. Doubt if I'll sell it anytime soon, 42K mi and absolutely nothing wrong with it but wouldn't sell for 2K. Hoping the Nomad lasts as long, will be putting some serious miles on it while the 800 sets.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #4

Same thing here borto. Stopped riding my Sabre long enough to let the battery get down when I started riding the Nomad. The Nomad instantly became my bike of choice as soon as I started riding it. Funny thing is, I bought the Honda as my entry bike back into the life after about a 24 year layoff and it felt BIG when I first started riding it. In fact, I wondered at first if I hadn't made a mistake and should have started with something even smaller.

But, by the time I got the Nomad, I was comfortable with the Honda. But now, whenever I strattle the Sabre, it feels like getting on a bicycle. Strange how that works.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #5

Very true. My dad has a Suzuki dual sport bike, and I remember last summer taking it for a ride and it felt like a bicycle compared to the Nomad. Granted, a Nomad and a dual sport bike aren't even close to being in the same class, but it was still funny how small the bike felt. I grew up riding dual sports, and I remember a time when they seemed pretty big to me. Funny how years change a person's perspective.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #6

I still ride my old 1982 KZ 750 LTD Twin ... It's faster than the Nomad. It's taller than the Nomad. It's lighter than the Nomad. It'a a lot older than the Nomad. ... And it has about 30,000 less kilometers than the 03 (Spring of 04) Nomad ... Now how did that happen? LOL ... I still love that little bike I bought as a temp back in 82 till I found a bike I really wanted ... Hey! How did that happen? hahahahaha ... Happy camper I guess.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #7

I'm with you on that! I rode my Intruder 1400 this morning and then took a spin on the Nomad. No comparison. Nomad is so smooth and big. I sold my Intruder today though, sorry to see it go. :(
Kawanow #731
VROC #28163

Old 04-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #8

Same here also. Have a Moto guzzi and the Nomad. The Guzzi has some vibration and of course is lighter (1100 cc/572 lbs), shorter rake and trail. The Guzzi is fun but nothing beats the smooth ride of the Nomad and I like the sitting position on the Nomad better. I have to get off and the strech the knees often when on the Guzzi .
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 04-05-2009, 03:36 AM   #9

I had a similar.....er...sorta experience here. I had just put new handlebars on my wife's Roadstar Warrior. It was snowing here so a good day to be working in the garage, but I wanted to test ride it with the new bars.

I fired it up...man that Yami 1700 is a loud motor its cool. This was also the same bike I had prior to my '03 Nomad. The roads were wet from snow but I decided to take it around the block. I pulled in the clutch and clicked it down into first. There's enough torque on this bike to spin the rear when you kick it into first.

So I took off and was riding smoothly down the road. I decided to give the throttled a little whack. 85 hp and 98 ft lbs stock (did I mention there's some performance accessories on this bike?) 600 lbs, a 200 rear, wet roads, and my stupid @ss hittin the throttle. I was just so used to the Nomad!

So after the rear slid around a little bit, and I pulled the seat out of my @ss. I returned my wife's ride to the garage. I'm glad I didn't lay it down, she would have been pissed. Dont you hate the days when you realize your wife's bike is more bad @ss than yours!?

So back on the Nomad, it felt considerbly more.. in control. Still the best bike I have ever owned.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch
I'm with you on that! I rode my Intruder 1400 this morning and then took a spin on the Nomad. No comparison. Nomad is so smooth and big. I sold my Intruder today though, sorry to see it go. :(
I rode a 1400 for 8 years and put over 80,000 miles on her. Not bad considering winter is storage time. So here is the Nomad with only 5 seasons to her credit and she is only 20,000 off the total mileage of my old 1400. Yup, Ma Kawi got her right when she did the Nomad thing.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:48 AM   #11
Advanced Member

i went from an xj 900 to the nomad and recently pulled the xj out of the shed for a squirt. rode her for 90ks got home and put it up on ebay. i recently went to my honda dealer and while waiting i had a sit on a 750 shadow, the dealer was a little offended when i asked if it was only a 250 while i swayed it detween my knees. (man they are small).

Old 04-05-2009, 06:57 AM   #12

I went from no bike to the Nomad so I can't enjoy the comparisons you guys keep talking about. I have ridden my son's 600 Shadow and his 900 Classic LT briefly and test rode 2 Ultras. All were more nimble than the Nomad at slow speed but mine has them all beat on comfort.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482