Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 02-02-2009, 06:18 AM   #1
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Friendly neighbors??

Hi to everyone,
As some of you may know from some of my posts, I own some recreational property south of the Canadian/ U.S. of A. border, in the Mt. Baker area of Maple Falls WA.. I make the short trip almost every weekend throughout the year.
This weekend past was no different. We left for our retreat on Friday afternoon, stopping at the local U.S. grocery store just across
"the line" . I waited for my wife in the truck while she did the shopping. I have to mention that the parking lot was all but empty, and that I parked my vehicle using two parking stalls,... one ahead of the other. I did this because the lot was empty, and thought I could make a "straight out exit" while keeping my truck visible for my wife when she was finished shopping. I didn't think it was hurting anything. Anyway, a WA state licensed car with three people pulled up into a stall, one or two away. Their eyes were cast my way, and upon getting out, what appeared to be a young "son" of the two older looking "parents" got out and opened his Moms door and took something from the dash and said "because they think they're royal Mom,... royalty" The "mother got out and gave me the ugliest look. The "father" got out and said, all the time looking at me, "Ya! royalty,... a royal pain in our ass".
Because I didn't hear what was said in their car as they arrived, I kept my mouth shut. { something I'm not in a habit of doing when I feel wronged } ..I can only think it was the issue I mentioned about my parking. Their comments were obviously directed with hatred to wards me, but in general, Canadians as a whole. I was left wondering just why was there so much hatred and disrespect for "me"? I know it wasn't about ME. There are a lot of Canadians that cross to shop, to visit, get gas, but in any event spend money. Have we Canadians done something wrong, or not done what has been asked of us in troubling times? Wouldn't you think in these "hard times" the American people would be happy to see the Canadians spend their money in the U.S.? Personally I don't understand why people shop in the U.S. when it doesn't make economic sense. I realize that these three people don't offer a good cross section of the American people and it wouldn't be fair to paint all American people with the same brush. But how many people feel this way toward their, {what should be}, their closest friends and neighbors? Is it because they might associate us with Britain and that we are still a colony of that country? Haven't they been their for America also??
I have never thought while conversing with people on this forum, that this mentality might be out there among Americans.

I'm 54 yrs.old and have known our countries relationships to be strained at times, and that we've welcomed non conformists of the U.S. Gov't. into the country at times. I'm not naive of some of our differences. But doesn't the gate swing both ways? I don't know any Canadians though, that feel the same way as these people appeared to feel towards me on the weekend. I will never change the good feelings I have for my American "Bros". and "Sisters".

OR ! maybe I have this all wrong.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-02-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
VBA Founder

Friendly neighbors??

Count that as an isolated incident, Ricky. As a general rule, we Americans love you Canadians.

I would think the people that chastized you have a burr up their saddle. That is their problem, not yours.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 02-02-2009, 07:00 AM   #3

Friendly neighbors??

Isolated case from a not so isolated segment of stupidity. And you gets a Karma to make up for the idiot. ;)

Old 02-02-2009, 07:29 AM   #4

Friendly neighbors??

Isolated case. We we went to Americade a few years ago we stayed at a camp site. Our neighbors were a bunch of fellows from Canada. One of them had hit a dear on the way down from Canada, had not gone to an ER and when I saw the terrible bandaging job of his road rash hand, as an ER nurse I had to get out my kit and clean it and dress it propertly........along with adbvice about what to watch for - signs and symptoms of infection.

they could not figure out their new tent and my hubbie and the other couple's husband that was with us helped them put up their tent. Nice guys.

At night we sat around and chatted and visted and campared the different events whe had been to at Americade.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 02-02-2009, 08:16 AM   #5

Friendly neighbors??

Rickyboy I will apologize for on of our country men treating you in this manner and can only tell you that there are ass holes every where most Americans love you guys.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #6

Friendly neighbors??

Unfortunately you can find jerks anywhere, pay no mind to them, they don't represent everyone. You can't fix stupid! Bruce
VBA #00671

Old 02-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #7

Friendly neighbors??

I've never met a Canadian I didn't like.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
Mega-Contributor

Friendly neighbors??

Here's my take on it...

You all know where I live, and the Phoenix area is home to a large population of winter residents, aka "snowbirds" due to the pleasant winter climate. A large number of these visitors hail from Canada. Some of the big resorts fly Canadian flags right next to the American flag. Go to any restaurant in certain areas and the parking lot is full of Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba plates. No big deal. Their money is as green as ours, and they are nice, friendly folks. They also are very good neighbors, maintain their homes, and have drivers licenses and car insurance. This is a big contrast to many of those who come from south of our border.

I can't explain why the crappy attitude towards Canadians in Washington State, Rick. Just know that not all Americans feel that way toward Canadians.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #9

Friendly neighbors??

I lived in WA for a good 15 years, never had a problem with Canadians.

Sounds like a carload of people in desperate need of a group diaper change. Probably why they were there.

Don't worry about it.

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Old 02-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
Top Contributor

Friendly neighbors??

rickyboy,

Pay no attention to the arses. Some people just have their head stuck where the sun don't shine. Not representative of the majority of people. There are jacka$$'s on both sides of the border but they are in the minority.

I know a great many Northerner's and enjoy their company.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 02-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to novijoe
Friendly neighbors??

We love you Canadians. Especially the good looking red heads

All kidding aside, my last trip to Canada on the scoot was great, lots of friendly people except one guy. Walked over and asked us where we were going and told us we were off course, kind of smart a**. I had to tell him we were looking for a place to eat and had to drive that far to get there!

I feel lucky though with all the hatred of our last president that they didn't throw stuff at me :-[

Old 02-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #12

Friendly neighbors??

I recently posted I never met a Canadian that I didn't like. I have to say in retrospect, when I went to Quebec in the mid 70's we went to a restaurant and were treated like second class citizens. My friend who spoke french, since he was born in Belgium and actually lived in Winnapeg a number of yrs, picked up some insulting remarks by the waitress and other workers while we were wating to get service. We wound up ordering some steaks after being jerked around and then left the restaurant.

Hope they started the steaks and had to eat them themselves.

In all other dealings in Montreal, Toronto, and in between, all we had were good feelings.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #13

Friendly neighbors??

Hey Ricky,

I have had lots of interaction with Canadians + Americans as I used to travel up there for business. I only had one bad experience ....a Canadian that did not like working for an American Company and pretty blunt + bitter about it.

I just file people like that with the family you experienced....too small minded to see the big picture....we are all North Americans and neighbors!

VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 02-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #14

Friendly neighbors??

Here in ND, we're pretty darn close to the border. My house is about 45 miles south of Canada. We see a lot of Canadians here doing shopping and other errands. I have no problem with any of them. They are helping our economy, so come on down!

Old 02-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #15

Friendly neighbors??

Sounds like you had an encounter with a family with a polluted gene pool who should have been charged with "being an A$$hole in a no-a$$hole zone"

Don't let the fargin' bastages get you down. We still love ya.