Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #1

Kawasaki Vs. Harley

One additional area that Kawasaki is doing better than Harley....the stock price.

While neither is doing well Harley's stock is down 66% and MaKaw is down 34%. Based on last 12 months.

Look for inventories of parts, bikes, and R + D (did Harley even have R + D?) to be slashed. Good thing we ride Kawasakis...we don't need as many parts
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-12-2009, 06:57 PM   #2

Kawasaki Vs. Harley

An "investor" told me not too long ago that he owned an expensive HD.

He said he would have been better off to have used that money to purchase Harley stock instead when he bought the bike -- then later sell the stock at a substantial gain.

He then could have paid for the bike with his "gains" and also had his original principle from the investment.

As it is now; his principle has diminished substantially (all gains gone from his investment) and he owns an expensive bike that may not hold its value given how many are starting to be for sale.

I told him not to beat himself up too much -- at least he got to ride all those years while he otherwise would have been waiting for a gain -- and also, who knows if he would have sold the stock at a gain -- because let's face-it -- he hadn't sold it at its highs anyway!!!

My advice would have been as I did: Buy smart -- buy a Kawasaki Nomad and invest the savings in a highly diversified investment portfolio of which you hold for the long-term.

In following my advice, he would have had a great bike to ride all these years; and an investment account (if diversified) that would likely not be as negative as HD stock. A bit of "having plenty of cake and eating it too"!!! ;)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 01-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #3

Kawasaki Vs. Harley

Kawasaki is a lot more diversified in the marketplace too. Harley is very specific in their branding and what they market - an image/lifestyle.

I remember going to my local HD and look for any bike that I would take home and keep for a long time, price irrelevant. I found a beautiful Heritage Springer with just about everything I wanted, minus the hard bags. I about sh*t when I saw the price tag - $23,000. Granted, it was a 1700 (ish), 6 speed, chromed to hell and back, and gorgeous.

Momma always said I had a wine-lover's taste on a beer drinker's budget.

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Old 01-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Kawasaki Vs. Harley

I wish Harley made a decently priced very reliable full dresser because I would have probably bought one. For the money it doesn't compare to the Nomad.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 01-13-2009, 12:33 AM   #5

Kawasaki Vs. Harley

A good friend of mine is on his second Ultra. He has had Gwings too. His current Ultra is a '99. Runs like a top. I think the difference is he hasn't torn into the engine to get more HP out of it. All he has are SE pipes. This last summer I did a charity ride with some folks on trikes. One of the woman riders had an Ultra trike with almost 200,000 miles on it. It looked and ran great. The motor was bone stock.

I think the difference is when it comes time to service the thing. Harley requires A LOT of service on their bikes, and it all seems to be expensive. Of course, I have just decuced that information from talking to my HD buddies.

In the end, the current economy will seprate the motorcyclists from the guys who just had to get a bike, and the bike had to be an HD!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-13-2009, 12:53 AM   #6

Kawasaki Vs. Harley

My brother has a 90 something low-rider with over 100,000 on it and its only been in the shop very few times, nothing major. but price and air cooled drives me away. The only one i ever considered buying was a v-rod because it was water cooled but have heard of a few problems. And to have to make an appointment for months down the road to get work done, no thanks. My 800a has served me well and im sure i will get the same service when i get my new nomad. Mama,s 08, 900 classic has had no prob in the first 1000 miles so im sold on Kawasaki.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:35 AM   #7

Kawasaki Vs. Harley

There is one area where Harley stock out shines Kawasaki stock by a country mile ... I have an 03 Nomad and was on a road trip from early May till mid Sept. The one nagging problem was oil changes. I do my own as I travel. Harley stock may be way down ... But the Kawasaki stock of oil filters was nonexistent a lot of the time. My Nomad was one of the ones that required the spin on oil canister modification kit and the paper filter element was very hard to come by. Many shops across the States did not have any in stock. However the solution was rather simple ... When I did find a shop with filters in stock ... I bought a bunch. LOL

Old 01-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #8

Kawasaki Vs. Harley

This old Harley below only cost me $750 in 1971. However, it didn't come with a windshield, shock absorbers, front brake, hand clutch, electric start, gas gage, speedometer, mufflers or much lighting, but it was a pretty good deal

Oh, and no ignition key either

Old 01-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #9

Kawasaki Vs. Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdez (lone Juan)
This old Harley below only cost me $750 in 1971. However, it didn't come with a windshield, shock absorbers, front brake, hand clutch, electric start, gas gage, speedometer, mufflers or much lighting, but it was a pretty good deal

But I'll bet that old chopper got way more bang for the buck as far as memories and good times.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #10

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Kawasaki Vs. Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdez (lone Juan)

If it had all that extra bells and whistles it would have been $7,500. I like the HD and I don't knock 'em. A year or so ago after I wrecked my 800VN. I was shopping for a "Heavy Cruiser". HD was my first choice but dang the prices were in the stratosphere. Price/feature and most of all reliability the Nomad won me over. Forgot to mention style.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 01-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #11

Kawasaki Vs. Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu
There is one area where Harley stock out shines Kawasaki stock by a country mile ... I have an 03 Nomad and was on a road trip from early May till mid Sept. The one nagging problem was oil changes. I do my own as I travel. Harley stock may be way down ... But the Kawasaki stock of oil filters was nonexistent a lot of the time. My Nomad was one of the ones that required the spin on oil canister modification kit and the paper filter element was very hard to come by. Many shops across the States did not have any in stock. However the solution was rather simple ... When I did find a shop with filters in stock ... I bought a bunch. LOL
EMU...I have a 2003 Nomad as well. I am not aware of this "spin on" modification"...can you enlighten me? I buy the Wal Mart Super Tech ST7317 oil filters. Thanks
VBA #659

Old 01-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to dhomoney Send a message via Yahoo to dhomoney
Kawasaki Vs. Harley

When I was looking for a two up cruiser I looked at the Road King and Softtail Classic, but when I loaded it out like the Nomad they were $20k+ and I got the Nomad for $11k. No comparison.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:25 PM   #13

Kawasaki Vs. Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney

EMU...I have a 2003 Nomad as well. I am not aware of this "spin on" modification"...can you enlighten me? I buy the Wal Mart Super Tech ST7317 oil filters. Thanks
Several production run lot numbers in 2003 and (I believe) early 2004 had a problem with the spin on filters popping the seal under certain conditions.

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...ump/Oil_Filter

So Ma Kaw came up with a pain in the ass mod to correct the problem. You can check via your VIN No. at your dealer if your bike was one of the unlucky ones. ... The link is to a diagram showing the mod apparatus.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:52 AM   #14

Kawasaki Vs. Harley

I checked my VIN #...no recalls or issues. About the only thing that has gone right lately. Maybe 2009 won't be so bad afterall!
VBA #659

Old 01-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #15

Kawasaki Vs. Harley

For me the Harley decision is as much an "anti establishment" statement as anything. I have friends that I ride with regularly who are Harley guys, and they don't give me any crap, and I in-turn pay them the same respect. When I was shopping this past fall I looked real hard at the Road king. It is a beautiful bike, and with the new frame, motor and 6 speed, has alot to offer. The other benefit is the limitless amount of accessories available to customize. The down side for me however is not just the cost, although make no mistake that is a HUGE factor, it is that my 6' 4" frame isn't as comfortable on the Harley. Of course they are quick to point out that with new bars and forward controls I can "stretch" it out to fit, but now I'm nearly twice the cost of a new Nomad, and almost three times what I paid for a nearly new 2006. The Nomad is comfortable right out of the crate! This along with the fact that I don't buy into the whole "join the club" Harley mentality. I made the choice not to join a fraternity in college because I didn't care to "buy" my friends, and I feel much the same way about my bike. That is not to say that any social organization is bad, just not my cup of tea. My $0.02
VBA #931R
VROC #16379R