Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-30-2007, 08:01 PM   #1

Good News for All of You

As some of you know, I have recently traded my 2007 Nomad for a 2008 Gold Wing. I do love my new bike and cannot believe the ability to take the curves and I cannot believe the power, BUTT, BUTTTTTTT , BUTTTT, You guys have, without a doubt one of the best riding bikes made. My Gold Wing cannot take a gust of wind from the side without feeling like I am getting blown off the road. The Nomad was not affected no where near as bad as the Wing. I miss my Nomad but don't want to pay for two bikes. Just thought I would share that with you guys and gals.......Take Care.......

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-30-2007, 08:28 PM   #2

Good News for All of You

I'm surprised... I would have thought you wouldn't feel the wind at all...... I guess there's obviously more to it than simply the weight of the bike....

Old 11-30-2007, 09:12 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Good News for All of You

Okay Dan, if you insist, I will take pleasure in your pain. That is what you meant, isn't it?

Love the Nomad.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 11-30-2007, 10:38 PM   #4

Good News for All of You

I had the same problem when I had the 1999 GL 1500 SE Goldwing. Talked to my neighbor about it , he is a old time Goldwinger and has traveled all over the country on them. He said it was typical of Goldwings , the enclosed design with the large trunk and large front fairing makes a great sail. He loves his Goldwings , but said caution must be used on windy days. They certainly are very good motorcycles . No one design can be best at ever thing.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:05 AM   #5

Good News for All of You

You are right about that covered design of the GW. One reason why I have not bought one. I can say this, my first long distance ride on my Nomad heading West out of SLC, I was in some very strong wind and was running close to a 30 degree angle into the wind. After taking off the windshield and putting on the batwing fairing, I do not notice the wind as much. Again, not as much of a sail as the standard windshield.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-01-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
VBA Founder

Good News for All of You

GW's have always been a bear to ride in the wind. I remember several years ago when a friend of mine almost lost his wing on a bridge. The wind almost blew him into the guardrail. In fact, he took it to a dealer and they installed some type of special cover underneath the bike.

I hate to do this at dan's expense, but I have come to a decision concerning my long range motorcycle plans.....originally, I'd planned on getting a GW in about 3 to 4 years and keep the Nomad....riding the Nomad on short trips and riding the GW on longer trips.

Well, I've thought about it and have decided not to get a GW. I think my plan is going to be to buy a new Nomad in about 4 years (by then maybe Kawasaki will have all the electronics on them like CB, MP3, XM, etc) after all, that's why I was really buying a GW, to get all the electronics.

I'll also keep my current Nomad.....maybe customize it, chrome it up and trick it out or something. Another reason why I want to do this is the fact that the GW might take away the "experience" of riding a motorcycle. There's been talk of that on numerous forums about the wings. The wing is so slick, effortless and refined, that many are talking about this taking away from the "motorcycling experience". My friend that just bought a 2007 wing agrees.

Trip
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 12-01-2007, 09:27 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Good News for All of You

I guess the grass is always greener.
Peace Makers LEMC

Old 12-01-2007, 09:34 AM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Good News for All of You

I know what your talking about Trip. Remember when I mentioned that if I could have got that sale price on the GW in 2006 when I bought my Nomad I would have bought it? I felt guilty for feeling that way because I just got back into motorcycling after a long lay off and was already thinking of getting a GW too and there is nothing wrong with my Nomad.

A GW looks like a motorcade going down the highway (that's not a bad thing) but a Nomad still looks like a "biker's bike". I'm staying put for now. That KawaNOW patch has a lot of life in it on my jacket! Who knows what bikes will look like in 10 years (my retirement goal). But if it's a fully loaded V-Twin I'll be interested in it!.

Plus there are very few bikes geared as high as the Nomad and if they are they are all V-Twins. The other's Honda ST1300's. GW's BMW's and the semi-exotic super speed cruisers turn a lot more RPM's on the highway. I like that relaxed engine sound of a V-Twin, especially with the modified mufflers!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 12-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #9

Good News for All of You

jghjnkmkl

Old 12-01-2007, 11:19 AM   #10

Good News for All of You

Having come from the world of choppers,

I never even thought I'd ride a dressed MC such as the Nomad (this is your Dad's Oldsmobile), so I'm not going to say what I may or may not ride in the future, but today I wouldn't want to give up the sweetness of a big V-twin, or the classic look of the standard motorcycle.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:12 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Good News for All of You

Kawanow & forever- right!!!

Old 12-01-2007, 06:36 PM   #12

Good News for All of You

Last summer on our trip to Americade in New York and Niagara Falls it was me on the Nomad, my hubbie on his Goldwing and another couple also on a Goldwing. We hit some rain with wind...we kept plugging along for a while....all three of us had CB's. The friend came on and said the wind was pushing him around awful (he was behind me - hubbie in front of me) and wanted to stop....asked what we thought. I said I was fine and my hubbie said he was struggling with the wind too. It was crosswinds. We pulled over for approximately 30 mins or so until the storm producing winds passed over. Both the guys on their wings said they almost went off the shoulder and then into the other lane. The crosswinds is the one complaint my hubbie has about the wing.

Trip the thing underneath you're talking about on the wing is called a 'bellypan'. My hubbie put one on his wing and he says it does help a little bit.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 12-01-2007, 06:43 PM   #13
Top Contributor

Good News for All of You

That was beautiful Dan. Did you ever consider writing any songs for Journey?

Old 12-01-2007, 08:39 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Good News for All of You

Trip, you hit the nail on the head.
I have ridden my friend 1500 GW. I too thought it was very clinical. I'm not looking for a bike to break, shake and quake when I ride, but my bike needs to be a motorcycle and not a two wheeled car.
I don't fault anyone who has or wants a GW. It's just not for me.
1965 Pontiac GTO, 389 4 Speed. Bluemist Slate
Cruising the back roads, that is living!
Member #000033.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:12 AM   #15
VBA Founder

Good News for All of You

Quote:
I know what your talking about Trip. Remember when I mentioned that if I could have got that sale price on the GW in 2006 when I bought my Nomad I would have bought it? I felt guilty for feeling that way because I just got back into motorcycling after a long lay off and was already thinking of getting a GW too and there is nothing wrong with my Nomad.

A GW looks like a motorcade going down the highway (that's not a bad thing) but a Nomad still looks like a "biker's bike". I'm staying put for now. That KawaNOW patch has a lot of life in it on my jacket! Who knows what bikes will look like in 10 years (my retirement goal). But if it's a fully loaded V-Twin I'll be interested in it!.

Plus there are very few bikes geared as high as the Nomad and if they are they are all V-Twins. The other's Honda ST1300's. GW's BMW's and the semi-exotic super speed cruisers turn a lot more RPM's on the highway. I like that relaxed engine sound of a V-Twin, especially with the modified mufflers!
Yep, know what you mean, BD......the more I think about it, the more I think I need to stick to the Nomad world. Of course, it will be a few years before I get another bike......could change my mind, but I doubt it.........

Oh..and don't feel guilty about almost getting a GW.....fate has a way of making the right decision sometimes.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip